Author Topic: 1000 days since the last new pricing game premiered  (Read 7442 times)

Offline AvsFan

• In the Audience
Re: 1000 days since the last new pricing game premiered
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »
Would storage space be an issue for creating new games? They already have a lot of game props in the warehouse. Maybe they wouldn't want to introduce a new game without removing one from the rotation. (Pure speculation, btw.)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 01:04:01 PM »
Would storage space be an issue for creating new games? They already have a lot of game props in the warehouse. Maybe they wouldn't want to introduce a new game without removing one from the rotation. (Pure speculation, btw.)

I thought of that too. Has to be a challenge storing all the games they already have, let alone adding new ones.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:39 PM »
Some context about the only long gap in the Barker era:  It's in the Bag was supposed to debut a whole year before it did.  I have no idea what caused the delay, but it's in a ton of lineup plans toward the end of 1996.

As for Time I$ Møney, I don't consider it a new game, but I think it's reasonable to give a bit of leeway when discussing its statistics.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 07:57:11 AM »
Some context about the only long gap in the Barker era:  It's in the Bag was supposed to debut a whole year before it did.  I have no idea what caused the delay, but it's in a ton of lineup plans toward the end of 1996.

As for Time I$ Møney, I don't consider it a new game, but I think it's reasonable to give a bit of leeway when discussing its statistics.
I had heard that It's in the Bag had to be retooled several times.  Originally the products were to be in real grocery bags and Bob would take the product out of the bag as part of the reveal and he didn't think that was exciting enough so back to the drawing board until we got the version we all know and love.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 08:10:48 AM »
I had heard that It's in the Bag had to be retooled several times.  Originally the products were to be in real grocery bags and Bob would take the product out of the bag as part of the reveal and he didn't think that was exciting enough so back to the drawing board until we got the version we all know and love.
Might be something good to ask Roger about, for those who are friends with him on Facebook.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 08:20:09 AM »
That would've been an awkward reveal for such a big cash game, and viewers at that point may don't like the game, as how exciting it is with the push-down reveal currently used. A question, is the original plan for the game to be a progressive cash game, or the contestant has to get all 5 items right for a large prize?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 09:59:13 PM »
The reveals with the actual paper bags would've looked really low budget. Actually I remember seeing recently that Roger posted early plans for the game where it would've originally been played for $32,000 with all six items being priced.

Offline SuperMatch93

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
Actually I remember seeing recently that Roger posted early plans for the game where it would've originally been played for $32,000 with all six items being priced.

That may have been scrapped for the reason that the values weren't doubled for the MDSs: Roger didn't believe most people would risk $16,000 to try for $32,000.

Also, wouldn't you need to have one price that didn't fit anyway? If you placed five correctly, there's no way the sixth chance could be wrong in that format.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »
That may have been scrapped for the reason that the values weren't doubled for the MDSs: Roger didn't believe most people would risk $16,000 to try for $32,000.

Also, wouldn't you need to have one price that didn't fit anyway? If you placed five correctly, there's no way the sixth chance could be wrong in that format.

I guess they could've gone from $8,000 to $32,000 if it was revealed that a contestant got 5 right at which point they'd know they got six right.  Though on that thought there wouldn't need to change anything.  Just make it $32,000 instead of $16,000.  IMO, more people would've gone for it than not.  In the end I guess it was best to wait until the current rules were finalized
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 05:26:45 AM »
Actually I remember seeing recently that Roger posted early plans for the game where it would've originally been played for $32,000 with all six items being priced.

Did I miss something here?  As far as I knew, the original rules called for seven groceries.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 05:28:46 AM »
Did I miss something here?  As far as I knew, the original rules called for seven groceries.
Are they all supposed to be used, or is there one left over like the current gameplay?

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:32 AM »
^I'd figure that any format that was talked about would include a extra product since, as SuperMatch said earlier, there's no way the last product would be wrong if the second to last is right. Wouldn't make for any suspense.

A bit of an aside, if the rules were originally 5 bags and 7 groceries, I could possible see the $8,000 to $32,000 jump on the last bag making a bit more sense.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:28:09 AM by 123123123 »

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 09:02:21 AM »
The reveals with the actual paper bags would've looked really low budget.
That sounds like it would have fit in perfectly in the early '80s, but by 1996, not so much.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
That sounds like it would have fit in perfectly in the early '80s, but by 1996, not so much.

It mighta been relegated to the bin of retired games honestly if it had that setup. Way too hokey and unnecessary.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
Perhaps they are planning something new for Year 50.

Just as long as they don't call it the "50th Anniversary Season"