Author Topic: Bob: a topic in two parts  (Read 5294 times)

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Bob: a topic in two parts
« on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
I was going to make two separate topics, but I didn't think it was needed; however, if the mods think otherwise, please feel free to separate as you will.

Part/Question 1:

I've heard over the years that there was a possibility of Bob's retiring well before the end of Season 35, maybe even after Season 30, if not sooner. Is that true, or am I just imagining things and it was maybe just a rumor? And, if he had retired, what would Price had become vs. what it is today?

Part/Question 2

If what happened with the scorned models during Bob's tenure (Dian, Holly, Janice, Kathleen, Nikki, Claudia [I'm sure I'm missing a few]) took place today in 2020 (by that, I mean Bob was the age he was when those things took place and were still on the show), how would things have turned out? With the #MeToo movement over the last few years and sexual misconduct allegations being taken more seriously than say 20+  years ago, would Bob have been proverbially burned at the stake and the powers that be at CBS would have had no choice but to let him go in order to "make things right and protect their image?" I know Bob was the "king" of the entire operation when he became EP (if not before then), and what he said went no matter what it was, but in today's world, I don't think his "power" would have saved him no matter how hard he tried. Don't get me wrong - I love Bob and he did a great job hosting for 35 years, but he also disappoints me in many, many ways with his indiscretions, attitude, and the way he handled so many behind-the-scenes situations. He could have done so much better, and he chose to really be pigheaded and fly off the handle over so many little things.

Just a few things that I've been pondering, and I always enjoy a healthy discussion here on all sides, no matter your stance. Talk away... :)
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Bob: a topic in two parts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »
I have no idea about part 1. As far as Part 2 goes, I think when Bob passes, unfortunately many will discuss his legacy as being “complicated”. 5 years ago, I think there’s no doubt that Bob would have universally lauded and any past indiscretions would have been hand waved away by saying, it was wrong but he came from a different era, but I don’t think that explanation would cut it anymore.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »
I have no idea about part 1. As far as Part 2 goes, I think when Bob passes, unfortunately many will discuss his legacy as being “complicated”. 5 years ago, I think there’s no doubt that Bob would have universally lauded and any past indiscretions would have been hand waved away by saying, it was wrong but he came from a different era, but I don’t think that explanation would cut it anymore.

Do you think that could impact any potential reruns? Like could they be seen as a liability if that indeed comes to pass after he dies?

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
Do you think that could impact any potential reruns? Like could they be seen as a liability if that indeed comes to pass after he dies?

I highly doubt it, I don’t think what Bob was ever accused of encroaches into the territory of “we can’t celebrate him and he has to go away”. Plenty of actors and professional athletes have been accused and convicted of things leagues more terrible than anything Bob has ever been, and they’re still around. Bob’s misgivings would probably better described as profound character flaws, and not something that should cancel out his overall body of work, especially since a lot of it never progressed beyond the level of tabloid fodder.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 04:25:28 PM »
I highly doubt it, I don’t think what Bob was ever accused of encroaches into the territory of “we can’t celebrate him and he has to go away”. Plenty of actors and professional athletes have been accused and convicted of things leagues more terrible than anything Bob has ever been, and they’re still around. Bob’s misgivings would probably better described as profound character flaws, and not something that should cancel out his overall body of work, especially since a lot of it never progressed beyond the level of tabloid fodder.

What about some of the racism allegations tossed towards the show in the latter years of his tenure? Granted those were connected to Phil Wayne moreso than he, but.....in this climate right now.....could see it maybe coming up. Perhaps that's just me though.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »
That first question is great one.  If Bob had retired a decade sooner, I don't know if the show would have had the success it does now, but I think it still would've been on the air today.  Probably after a number of hosting changes (to go along with staffers, the cast, and front office), they probably would've settled with the right person.  Took some time for Fremantle to get it right with Steve Harvey.  IMO, TPTB were fortunate with Drew.  I'm not going to say lucky because, while I probably wouldn't have bet him to be Barker's successor before someone like Marc Summers, Todd Newton, or even Rod (well before he left us), having seen Carey's stuff for a long time before he became host, I knew they'd be alright.  Save for the lack of optimism having to follow a legend who'd been there the past 35 consecutive seasons.

To answer your second question, that's a little tough.  Twitter and Facebook did exist while Barker was still the host, but social media wasn't a big deal until after he left.  It would be rather difficult to see him continue had this continued in 2020 at his age, but I don't know if anything would've happened on his end if the accusations happened in today's climate.

IMO, I really don't know.  As mentioned, people have been given second chances for doing worse things.  The fact is, there are consequences for people that do questionable things.  For me, I see Bob Barker as a great emcee, someone I respect and grew up watching.  Similar to every other person on television, what happens in their personal life is none of my business.   

It sucks that the negativity toward Bob is there.  It is what it is.  Can't say it's good, and I feel bad for those that may have been victims or were offended.  I agree that it isn't cancelling out his body of work.  What I saw for decades was a host that took something huge and made it his own, this after several years of success in non-price stuff
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 04:48:19 PM »
I definitely remember rumors of Bob deciding to retire in the seasons prior to season 35, it would come up in the media from time to time and in conversation on here and other websites and even outside the internet. I remember there was a story that popped up a few times that Rosie O'Donnell was looking to replace him hearing he was going to retire. When he actually did announce his retirement I thought for sure it was untrue since it had come up several times before until I came on here and it was confirmed.

As for part 2, it's quite possible Bob would've been forced out if the Me Too movement existed at the time of any one of the incidents with the models. He doesn't seem to have been "blacklisted" like others for their behavior towards women during their hosting like Richard Dawson did recently for his contestant kissing though. It looks like among fans Bob has grown to be disliked because of his ego and personality moreso than what happened with the models.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »
I'll elaborate a little more on the last part of my OP. I don't cancel out all of Bob's work by any means. He was a terrific host who was loved by so many. I've been watching some of his episodes lately. He made it fun for everyone. The way he would build up the finales of the big games like Golden Road and Triple Play was always the most fun. He was a true emcee, and on camera, he was the consummate professional. As Mark Goodson put it, he was the WGMC (World's Greatest Emcee). What he did behind the scenes was far less than desirable. Not all of it was his fault, but so much of it was. In the end, while the good may outweigh the bad, it doesn't justify his actions. I wonder if he regrets some of that now that he has a chance to reflect during his retirement?
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 07:27:34 PM »
I believe at this point the general population is unaware of Bob's alleged inappropriate behavior and he will be celebrated in history.

If it happened today, I think the court of public opinion would quickly issue judgment based on the nature of the complaints.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »
I'd have to agree with the majority on here that while many of his actions were, at minimum, deeply regrettable and should not have been undertaken the way they were by he, it does not cancel out his overall body of work.  As others have noted, in front of the cameras, he made the show, particularly at its peak, extremely enjoyable to viewers, myself included--and I would have likely been lost at math in my younger years had the Big Wheel and mathematics-based games not been on the air many times.  And of course there's also his mostly laudable efforts towards animal rights over the years, apart from a few missteps here and there.  Life is often complicated, and people are often complicated, Bob being a quite visible example of that.  In today's atmosphere, he'd probably end up being forced off the air, but overall, I think his on-camera achievements are still mainly worth lauding.  Everyone, though, is more than entitled to see things from their own points of view, which may prove different. 

Offline wheelfan1991

• Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 09:45:31 AM »
To be fair, Bob's misconduct, while not in the public eye anymore, is easy to trace. There's a section of his Wikipedia page dedicated to the various lawsuits over the years, as well as on Price's page. Granted, I don't trust Wikipedia as a reliable source. However, a quick Google search would turn up those results, I'm sure. When Bob does pass, and I pray it's not for a long, long, long time, his indiscretions will undoubtedly be mentioned, even if only in passing.   

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 12:51:09 AM »
For #1, whenever someone is working at 65 or older, of course there will be rumors of retirement; it's when you (normally) retire.

For #2, I agree with the statements that the general public has forgotten about his legal issues and accusations from 20-30 years ago.  Will they be dug up?  Of course, go ask any celebrity that had their dirty laundry hung up to dry in the public years after the fact.  In the case of Bob, it's a quick clickbait article that will get buzz online.  The question is if anyone beyond this forum still actually cares about Bob Barker and if Buzzfeed or TMZ staff will even remember to go through the archives.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 11:25:53 PM »
Ok, for part 1 I can answer and say that it was true, he even contemplated it as far back as 1996 that he was thinking about retiring according to the TV Game Show Hosts book by David Baber. However given that he enjoyed the show so much he found it hard to quit.

Part 2 that could have been possible, even if he had continued to stay on as host part-time and/or renewed his contract for a while longer, but then again I don't know for sure.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »
I think the second part of the OP's question was actually, "Would Bob Barker have been removed as host of TPiR (either by being terminated or forced to resign) had he today engaged in the misconduct he was accused of with Dian Parkinson, and 1993 were instead anytime after 2017?" (Even if the accusations were revealed years later.)

My answer is unequivocally yes.

Remember, the #MeToo movement created a firestorm, and several of Hollywood's most powerful icons – think Harvey Weinstein – lost virtually everything in its wake. Yes, social media didn't exist in 1993, but women turned it into a powerful voice and no longer stayed silent. They spoke up and didn't stay silent, and for those allegations that proved credible, they really took power back.

It of course is hard to say if Dian Parkinson would have used social media had it existed in the 1990s to tell her side of the story (despite what one thinks of her credibility), and what the court's attitudes would have been had the lawsuits been filed anytime since the introduction of a tag that gave women a voice. But assuming that the producers and powers-that-be at CBS would have sided with her and believed her, I'm guessing that Bob would have been out and disgraced, both by the mainstream and gutter press.

As far as the show itself, I'd guess that had such a situation played out after #MeToo came to be (i.e., 1994 being 2018, Bob as host and the Dian accusations being made public, only this time in the mainstream/credible press and with Dian supporters taking to social media and themselves being credible), CBS would have pulled the show from the daily schedule and permanently shelved reruns of the Barker-era. Sure, there would have been the possibility of a search for a new host, and rerun networks would have been allowed to show Cullen/James/Kennedy-version reruns, but it would in the very least have been at least a year before a new version of TPiR would appear ... to give the show a new, fresh start and distance itself from the past.

Just my two cents worth.

Brian

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »
Remember, the #MeToo movement created a firestorm ... Yes, social media didn't exist in 1993, but women turned it into a powerful voice and no longer stayed silent. They spoke up and didn't stay silent, and for those allegations that proved credible, they really took power back.

Indeed.  So much so that whenever I watch an older episode and see Bob harmlessly flirting with a female contestant, or hear Dennis say, "All right, you pretty girls" to contestants' row, I cringe.  At least a little.