Author Topic: LMAD Contestant Selection  (Read 599 times)

Offline tpirguyMN

• Outside in Line
LMAD Contestant Selection
« on: June 16, 2020, 07:32:43 PM »
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find it!

I was actually able to watch Let's Make a Deal today (governor had his press conferences most every day at LMAD time).  I got to wondering if Wayne truly selects the contestants at random?  Or are they pre-selected like they do on Price?

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: LMAD Contestant Selection
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 08:27:57 PM »
LMaD contestants are selected similar to how TPiR contestants are selected--producers interview everyone in advance and tell Wayne whom to pick for each deal. You can read the experience of a former contestant here.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:56:39 PM »
At one TVC visit got chatting with a CBS page who worked at both TPIR and LMAD, and he said that though most LMAD contestants are preplanned just like TPIR, occasionally Wayne calls an audible and catches the production team by surprise.

Never been to LMAD though so can’t confirm. That seems like the sort of thing they’d tell the crowd to keep energy up—“keep cheering, even if you didn’t do as well as you hoped in your interview, because Wayne just might override and pick you.”
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpirguyMN

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »
LMaD contestants are selected similar to how TPiR contestants are selected--producers interview everyone in advance and tell Wayne whom to pick for each deal. You can read the experience of a former contestant here.

Thanks LiteBulb for the article!  A very interesting read.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »
At one TVC visit got chatting with a CBS page who worked at both TPIR and LMAD, and he said that though most LMAD contestants are preplanned just like TPIR, occasionally Wayne calls an audible and catches the production team by surprise.

Never been to LMAD though so can’t confirm. That seems like the sort of thing they’d tell the crowd to keep energy up—“keep cheering, even if you didn’t do as well as you hoped in your interview, because Wayne just might override and pick you.”

Would that have been the case even in the Monty Hall days? I'm half surprised with a format like that, they don't let Wayne pick himself outright as he saw fit. I get the TV side of it though, but seems like it'd be tailor made to be done in that way vs. anything pre-planned.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »
I would think it'd be just a bit too easy for Wayne (or any host) to miss someone who would make a good contestant, especially if that person were sitting toward the back or the far left or right, to leave contestant selection fully to Wayne. As for Monty Hall, at least in the 80s syndicated version, he would sometimes mention that there were a lot of potential traders in the audience, but only 36 made it to the trading floor. My educated guess is that those 36 were chosen by the producers based on interviews and then Monty chose individuals from those 36 on his own.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:43:20 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 08:43:03 PM »
Wayne is told who to pick via earpiece.

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »
As for Monty Hall, at least in the 80s syndicated version, he would sometimes mention that there were a lot of potential traders in the audience, but only 36 made it to the trading floor. My educated guess is that those 36 were chosen by the producers based on interviews and then Monty chose individuals from those 36 on his own.

The book Emcee Monty Hall touched on how contestant selection worked back in the 70s.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 05:41:13 PM »
Wow Monty Hall was rated over Ed McMahon at one time? That's pretty big for a mere game show host, given what Ed was doing in 1972. Interesting piece too.....I wonder why they didn't pick the contestants ala how Price did though....ie: do it as incognito as possible vs. make it known to each person ahead of time. Seems like it'd have made for better TV to do it that way and get natural reactions, but that's just me.

I also would wonder if these picks included any quickie deals at the end of the shows. I'd guess they may have given the number chosen, but hard to say for sure.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »
The book Emcee Monty Hall touched on how contestant selection worked back in the 70s.

Thanks for that!!

I wonder why they didn't pick the contestants ala how Price did though....ie: do it as incognito as possible vs. make it known to each person ahead of time.

I can think of two possibilities, again both educated guesses:

1. The New Price is Right hadn't debuted when LMaD first came on the air. So the idea of interviewing everyone might not yet have been a thing that had been thought of.

2. Monty Hall probably wanted some say in whom he would pick so he could play the deals off the people he thought would work best. But moving around back and forth in an audience of 300 people to find the right ones would take too long, so the producers found the best 31-36 for him to work with.