Author Topic: Worst playings of pricing games  (Read 14797 times)

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Worst playings of pricing games
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2020, 12:42:51 AM »
Don't you all remember Bryan from 1999 playing Clock Game?

I was about to suggest this famous clip.  "What kind of a show do you think this is?"

(Not sure why the link won't work.  )
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 12:53:39 AM »
You need to remove the "s" from the "https" to make Youtube links work here, e.g. [ youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGMILpA4iOY[ /youtube] does the trick (without the bolding or extra spaces in the brackets):

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2020, 05:21:35 AM »
Can't find the clip, but Cover Up has been completely wiped out while Bob was hosting. I remember Bob nearly yelling "NOT A ONE?!" when the losing horns played.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Online JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2020, 06:03:04 AM »
You need to remove the "s" from the "https" to make Youtube links work here, e.g. [ youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGMILpA4iOY[ /youtube] does the trick (without the bolding or extra spaces in the brackets):

You can also just copy the code after the v= which is wGMILpA4iOY, then hit the Youtube link button. That would also work.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:15 AM »
One that sticks out to me is the Grocery Game playing on the 10th Million Dollar Spectacular with the contestant losing buying 25 Bruce's yams. Brandi who was running the cash register could not even enter that many in because the register only allowed up to 20 of an item to be entered.
It isn’t that register won’t allow more than 20 of an item, right?  It’s that they have a sheet next to the register that tells how many of an item costs and it only goes up to 20 - do I have that correct?  (Why she didn’t just do 20 and 5, I’m not sure).

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2020, 08:35:36 AM »
I wish I could find the clip of the dude that thought a $10 toy guitar was $2,000. He ended up guessing $750 and Bob had a fit!

Here's the playing in question:

I would like to add this 1994 playing of Clock Game to the thread. A contestant keeps lowballing the price of a baker's rack and leaves Bob tongue-tied when he ultimately wipes out:

Another one, from 1992, one of the last times, if not the last time, Money Game was played for a boat or a non-car prize: A contestant seems to pick numbers at random, but she ultimately finds the last two numbers in the price. However, she cannot figure out the bow of the boat:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:50:11 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online JhayPrice

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
Carolina (Money Game) wasn't amused by the fact that she's playing for a boat. I think she did that on purpose.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 01:58:30 PM »
It isn’t that register won’t allow more than 20 of an item, right?  It’s that they have a sheet next to the register that tells how many of an item costs and it only goes up to 20 - do I have that correct?

Correct.

My nomination for worst playing of a pricing game is the debut of Clock Game. It was only the eighth daytime episode taped, so everybody was still getting their bearings in general.

A full three seconds ticked off the clock before Bob told the contestant whether her first bid was higher or lower because he was surprised by how bad it was (she bid $1,000 for a $300 grandmother clock). With 20 seconds left on the clock, she bid $325, Bob said higher, and he didn't correct himself until the clock was at 17. The clock kept running while the contestant was confused about what she was supposed to bid lower than -- when the clock was at 12, Bob finally announced that he would give her two free bids (which was written into the rules from the beginning), although the clock wasn't actually stopped until it was at about 10.

The contestant won the prize with only a couple seconds left on the clock. And then, just to top the whole thing off, when the clock started up again for the second prize, the second hand stopped moving before it quite reached the 0, so they had to sound the horn with the clock stuck at half a second.

After the show, the contestant was awarded the second prize because she had been disadvantaged.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
Oh, Mark Goodson must have been livid. That sounds like a total trainwreck (on both the clock and Bob's parts).

EDIT: Could that be considered the first "tech win" in the show's history?

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
Oh, Mark Goodson must have been livid. That sounds like a total trainwreck (on both the clock and Bob's parts).

According to the FAQ, they had such a hard time getting the clock to work during rehearsal, that Mark Goodson nearly had the game scrapped before it even went on air.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »
Can't find the clip, but Cover Up has been completely wiped out while Bob was hosting. I remember Bob nearly yelling "NOT A ONE?!" when the losing horns played.
I've seen complete misses on the first guess, but they weren't necessarily poor playing. In one of the ones I saw, the two choices for the first digit were 1 and 2, and two of the three for the second were 0 and 9; either the contestant chose 19 instead of 20, or vice versa.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »

It’s also happened once in the Carey era; a contestant fudged the Cover Up strategy in regards to the first two numbers and missed on the remaining three.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2020, 10:53:10 PM »
It isn’t that register won’t allow more than 20 of an item, right?  It’s that they have a sheet next to the register that tells how many of an item costs and it only goes up to 20 - do I have that correct?  (Why she didn’t just do 20 and 5, I’m not sure).
Yes, the list not the register itself. My mistake.

Not quite the worst, but I also remember when Golden Road was played during the military salute specials in season 30 the contestant chose 1 for the price of the first prize a bunch of power tools (I think they were $704).

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2020, 11:32:56 PM »
I've seen complete misses on the first guess, but they weren't necessarily poor playing. In one of the ones I saw, the two choices for the first digit were 1 and 2, and two of the three for the second were 0 and 9; either the contestant chose 19 instead of 20, or vice versa.

Definitely not the worst playing.  If anything, just a mild bad beat or close to a painful loss based on the odds of winning had a contestant survived.  IOW, the contestant could've gotten lucky by getting either of the final three numbers correct, and then a win would've been more probable than not
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online JhayPrice

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2020, 01:13:43 AM »
Wouldn't you consider this playing as the worst in Flip Flop?