Author Topic: April 6, 1978 CBS Memorandum: Details on Upcoming Pricing Games  (Read 8118 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: April 6, 1978 CBS Memorandum: Details on Upcoming Pricing Games
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
Not that it would have helped its longevity on the program, but Number Please is a much better name than Telephone Game.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
The format for the 7-stall "Hit The Showers" made the game easier to win, but wouldn't help make the game last long enough. They should've at least had a 4-GP Let 'Em Roll-type pricing portion, then go with the chain-pulling. My idea is to have them choose showers until the player runs out of choices, and risking the collected amount (if there are any) for trying another shower, and getting confetti wouldn't cause the contestant any loss, unless it's his/her final choice.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 12:32:32 PM »
The format for the 7-stall "Hit The Showers" made the game easier to win, but wouldn't help make the game last long enough. They should've at least had a 4-GP Let 'Em Roll-type pricing portion, then go with the chain-pulling. My idea is to have them choose showers until the player runs out of choices, and risking the collected amount (if there are any) for trying another shower, and getting confetti wouldn't cause the contestant any loss, unless it's his/her final choice.

I think that'd have been a good idea. Incidentally, while we're on this, is there/has there been a shorter traditional car game potentially than this one, given it could end in just one guess? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 02:26:32 PM »
I think that'd have been a good idea. Incidentally, while we're on this, is there/has there been a shorter traditional car game potentially than this one, given it could end in just one guess? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Bullseye and Double Bullseye, in theory.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »
Bullseye and Double Bullseye, in theory.

Ah yeah.....good ones. Didn't think of those.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 04:10:15 PM »
I appreciate that they weren't afraid to "get weird" with some pricing games and ideas. They were trying new presentations, new pricing gimmicks, new gameplay elements that had never been tried before. Obviously not many of them worked, but I appreciate the willingness to experiment.

For contrast, look at the games that presumably would have been introduced in that memo one year ago:

•Squeeze Play (normal enough)
•Secret X (normal enough)
•Professor Price (here's where it starts getting weird)
•Finish Line (presentation following the tradition of Hurdles/Cliff Hangers, but otherwise normal enough)

Professor Price is the only one that really stands out, and it got yanked very quickly. Everything before that seems pretty sane and reasonable. They could easily have taken the lesson of "down-to-earth ideas work best" and I don't think anybody would have blamed them.

But instead look at where they went from that:

•A game that is ALWAYS played for two cars, and you price weird parts of the car nobody's ever heard of
•An game played for cash? On The Price is Right? And it's unashamedly luck-based?
•A game where pennies fly out towards the camera and spill down a giant board, that demands this weird-looking set and lights and sound effects to pull everything together
•Telephone Game
•Shower Game
•Take Two somehow found its way in that crop

In that company Shower Game looks positively reasonable and measured. I admire the drive to experiment, even if they quickly realized that many of their ideas weren't turning out as envisioned.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »
•Finish Line (presentation following the tradition of Hurdles/Cliff Hangers, but otherwise normal enough)

I'm not sure Finish Line should even be counted here -- I'd bet good money it was only created as an attempt to make Give or Keep more interesting.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.