Author Topic: The Best Playings Of Pricing Games  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: The Best Playings Of Pricing Games
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 09:44:39 PM »
I got to see that Lucky $even playing in person- and boy was it hard to not rush on here and tell everyone about it!

Along with that one, Brian's Punch-a-Bunch, where he gave back $5k only to win the $10k, as well as Trevor's playing from S31-32 (somewhere around that time) when he won $10,500, also stand out to me.

Our very own LiteBulb88's perfect Master Key playing comes to mind too!

(And, if I don't say so myself, I thought I did a good job playing Push Over. :P)
3,083 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »
I got to see that Lucky $even playing in person- and boy was it hard to not rush on here and tell everyone about it!

Is it really true that's the only time anyone has gotten every number right in that game in all the years it's been played? I have to think it at least happened once before somewhere. Am I wrong in that?

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 10:04:33 PM »
Is it really true that's the only time anyone has gotten every number right in that game in all the years it's been played? I have to think it at least happened once before somewhere. Am I wrong in that?

I think someone said it happened once before this one. After she won and Drew asked who the next contestant was they had to stop tape to get the truck off of the stage. As soon as they they cut tape, Drew was supposed to be introduced by George to the audience (since this was a mini-break), but instead Drew came running over to the audience and screamed, "Holy cow! That was awesome! I think that was the first time ever!" You could tell he was genuinely excited after that win.
3,083 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Online Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 10:05:52 PM »
How about Pauline from Canada playing Check-Out and pulling off one of the most impossible, most unbelievable, most incredible wins on Check-Out I've ever seen? That was just FANTASTIC! How about our very own Clock Game John who destroyed Clock Game in the best way possible? Then there's Race Game that was played for 4 vehicles and won (very quick win by the way), Triple Play's first official win in 2001, and boy, there's so many more incredible wins I've seen, it'd be tough to post them all.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 10:24:51 PM »
I think someone said it happened once before this one. After she won and Drew asked who the next contestant was they had to stop tape to get the truck off of the stage. As soon as they they cut tape, Drew was supposed to be introduced by George to the audience (since this was a mini-break), but instead Drew came running over to the audience and screamed, "Holy cow! That was awesome! I think that was the first time ever!" You could tell he was genuinely excited after that win.

His enthusiasm really comes through in certain moments, and that goes back to when he first started even before the weight loss. Say what you will about his hosting style, his polish or lack of it, but you can't deny he cares for the contestants. It shows in situations like these. Is it known incidentally/was it what era it had past happened in? I'd guess probably Bob's somewhere but that might be wrong.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• In Contestant's Row
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 11:02:02 PM »
This obviously isn't posted anywhere as of now, but the oft-talked about $21k Plinko win from 1990 definitely deserves a mention here I'd say.

Winners only, Pricefan!  Just kidding.

No DOB to be able to confirm an earlier perfection in Lucky Seven (though I could inquire over at Facebook).  It almost happened in May of 1983, but maybe if they gave away the fourth number at the beginning of the game that season, then history might've been different

Bob Barker will always be my pick as the best for TPIR overall.  However, there's no one (Barker included) that can do it better today than Drew Carey.  He is who he is, and his hosting style isn't what many would expect from a gameshow host.  What makes him great is that he does it his way; rather natural and outgoing.  Personally, I think the fact that it's unusual (compared to a typical host) is refreshing.  Somewhat (or sometimes) comical, and in the past not what I'd expect.

I totally agree.  Carey is "all-in" for the contestants and the awesome moments.  They are the stars, after all, and AFAIK (as far as I know), the average contestant didn't show up to judge Drew's hosting style.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline TinoStar11

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 11:36:38 PM »
One of the best playings for me was the last time 3 Strikes was won ( Season 45 ) The contestant went from the brink of defeat , pulling 2 X's in 4 pulls , to going 12 straight pulls without pulling the last X and winning the car.

Online JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
  • The TYPICAL Mike setup.
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2020, 11:37:15 PM »
(And, if I don't say so myself, I thought I did a good job playing Push Over. :P)
It sure is a great playing Plinkoman:

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 10:09:27 AM »
Quote from: SeaBreeze341
...contestant Amy winning Spelling Bee (after avoiding a possible wipeout) with both CAR cards in the middle of spelling C-A-R in consecutive order to end the week.

A terrible quality video of that win can be found right here.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskKpeEHSnM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YskKpeEHSnM</a>
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Online Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
I remember this Spelling Bee win quite well!!! 2 cards with the word "CAR" and spelling C A R with the other 3 cards was just incredible!!!! I don't remember when it debuted by remember the first playing Stack The Deck? I always love watching the premiere of new pricing games, and the premiere of Stack The Deck is no exception, due to the fact that it was WON on the very first playing!!!!!!!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
I remember this Spelling Bee win quite well!!! 2 cards with the word "CAR" and spelling C A R with the other 3 cards was just incredible!!!!

Funny thing is, this may NOT have happened had Bob not misheard one of her numbers. On her 4th pick, she clearly says she wants 26, but Bob gives her 27 instead. Maybe the outcome woulda still been the same even if she had gotten the actual number she chose, but there's no way to know that for sure. So I always have thought this win should have an asterisk attached to it, since it really as far as we know only happened because of Bob's mistake.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »
Quote from: pricefan18
So I always have thought this win should have an asterisk attached to it, since it really as far as we know only happened because of Bob's mistake.
We know exactly what would have happened if not for Bob's mistake....

She would have won a car, based on the second card she picked.

Maybe it wouldn't have been the memorable "2 CARS and a C-A-R", but she would have still won.  No need for an asterisk here.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
We know exactly what would have happened if not for Bob's mistake....

She would have won a car, based on the second card she picked.

Maybe it wouldn't have been the memorable "2 CARS and a C-A-R", but she would have still won.  No need for an asterisk here.

Oh no, I am not arguing that part, obviously she was gonna win the car no matter what. I know that. I meant an asterisk as to it being a truly perfect playing. It may have still been, but it also may not have been, depending on what Card 26 actually was.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
How about that 1979 Grocery Game playing where the contestant bought 35 candy bars and got exactly $7? And even more amazing, it happened on a Christmas show, of all things!

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »
Funny thing is, this may NOT have happened had Bob not misheard one of her numbers. On her 4th pick, she clearly says she wants 26, but Bob gives her 27 instead. Maybe the outcome woulda still been the same even if she had gotten the actual number she chose, but there's no way to know that for sure. So I always have thought this win should have an asterisk attached to it, since it really as far as we know only happened because of Bob's mistake.
I remember watching that video when it was first uploaded and noticing the 26/27 thing too and wondering why she didn't correct Bob.

Regarding the topic, this is one of my favs. A 100% perfect Any Number. There has been at least one other instance of somebody winning the car in just four picks, but surely this has to be the first and only time somebody guessed the digits in order.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGchzXA3raY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGchzXA3raY</a>