Author Topic: The Best Playings Of Pricing Games  (Read 9007 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
The Best Playings Of Pricing Games
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
Apologies in advance if this topic is unnecessary (first topic in over a decade, I believe).  I've gotta give credit to Wink87 (though it's really the reverse of Wink's topic from last week).  My selections are below.

There have been several moments in PIR history where you’d see the worst performances from contestants as it relates to their pricing games.  To be fair, they all made it up on stage, unlike 1/3 of the contestants in each taping (or 50% for the half-hour format).  A lot tougher on camera as opposed to playing at home, I guess!

The good news is the opposite is a reality.  There have been several moments in PIR history where you’d see the best performances from the contestants.  From 3 Strikes Plus left-to-right perfection to Let Em Roll wins in one roll, and from $15,000 split in the Phone Home Game to perfection in Lucky Seven, the show has had its greatest moments.

Don’t want to mention too many (and if I already have, my apologies).  However, I probably forgot a ton of them (including “comeback” wins and showcase victories).  Two that have been on my mind over the past week include the awesome start of 1999 (Season 27) include contestant Jayme winning $6000 in cash & prizes in Check Game (most allowed at that time) to start the week, and then contestant Amy winning Spelling Bee (after avoiding a possible wipeout) with both CAR cards in the middle of spelling C-A-R in consecutive order to end the week.  Season 27 was a great season in my opinion; not sure if I’d rank it number one though.  The guy that won Check Game won $500 along with his IIFB prize & $1000 in the Showcase Showdown.  Since he didn’t need to stop there, there was nothing wrong with him winning both showcases.  Probably the best individual start to a calendar year at the time!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Best Playings Of Pricing Games
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:19:42 PM »
If we're talking best, you gotta include the $1,000,000 Clock Game win in 2008. That would most certainly have to qualify. Was if I recall the first millionaire the show ever had since they had began the specials years before.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 03:26:04 PM »
You'll never see a better Dice Game playing than this:

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
You'll never see a better Dice Game playing than this:

I thought of that pretty quickly too. Any Dice Game's with a mix of perfect roll's, 1's & 6's, would also qualify.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:36:24 PM »
I don’t remember the exact date, but there was a contestant a few years back that won the maximum amount on Pass the Buck.

Also, Charity’s perfect playing of Time is Money in 2019 was amazing. I remember her saying that it was “her game”, casually placing the grocery products without stressing out, and winning the $20,000.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »
Race Game for 4 cars.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »
I don’t remember the exact date, but there was a contestant a few years back that won the maximum amount on Pass the Buck.

Also, Charity’s perfect playing of Time is Money in 2019 was amazing. I remember her saying that it was “her game”, casually placing the grocery products without stressing out, and winning the $20,000.

Watched that one recently. She did it in like 3-4 seconds too I think, much faster then the 1st $20k winner had.

On Pass the Buck though, are you recalling it in Drew's era? It sounds like it. If you are, you must be recalling wrong, because at least according to the game's wiki page, the only 3 max money wins the game has had woulda been in Bob's era, with the last 2 happening in 2006. Unless you mean max as in, most cash they could win along with the car.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
This obviously isn't posted anywhere as of now, but the oft-talked about $21k Plinko win from 1990 definitely deserves a mention here I'd say.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 04:47:11 PM »
On Pass the Buck though, are you recalling it in Drew's era? It sounds like it. If you are, you must be recalling wrong, because at least according to the game's wiki page, the only 3 max money wins the game has had woulda been in Bob's era, with the last 2 happening in 2006. Unless you mean max as in, most cash they could win along with the car.

By maximum amount, I mean the car, $5,000, and $3,000. That’s the max that can be won in that game.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 04:58:51 PM »
By maximum amount, I mean the car, $5,000, and $3,000. That’s the max that can be won in that game.

Gotcha, wasn't fully clear.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
A couple come to mind:

A playing of Five Price Tags where the contestant not only won all four prizes, but won the car with his first guess.

What I am assuming is the only perfect playing of SuperBall - four balls won, and all rolled into the Win hole, for the three prizes and a $3000 bonus.

Honorable Mention: the Ten Chances win in only three guesses. I suppose it helped a little that all three prices were exposed in advance...

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
A couple come to mind:

What I am assuming is the only perfect playing of SuperBall - four balls won, and all rolled into the Win hole, for the three prizes and a $3000 bonus.

Honorable Mention: the Ten Chances win in only three guesses. I suppose it helped a little that all three prices were exposed in advance...

That the only time in the daytime era that's happened? Davidson's version had it happen too, organically in that case, so it'd have happened at least once that way when played out as it should be. That one can be seen here incidentally:
The SuperBall perfect playing was the only one too, you are correct on that.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »
That the only time in the daytime era that's happened? Davidson's version had it happen too, organically in that case, so it'd have happened at least once that way when played out as it should be. That one can be seen here incidentally:

Just as an addendum to this, Davidson's run at least from what I have seen on YouTube so far, had it happen twice actually. There, and this one (the one I saw before as it turned out, discovered the other one was different as I viewed it)...
As far as daytime wise, this may be the best playing otherwise, guy did it in 4 chances (pre 0 for all era too being from 1980).

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
If we're talking best, you gotta include the $1,000,000 Clock Game win in 2008. That would most certainly have to qualify. Was if I recall the first millionaire the show ever had since they had began the specials years before.

Definitely!  Imagine if she got both right instead of just one! 

However, I don't believe it was the first one.  At least if one is counting when it aired.  First within a pricing game, but 3rd I believe.  Though you may be right.  The DSW winners were 1-2, but maybe the win was the first one taped and the shows aired out of order.

Hate to say this, but I remember being a little upset over that episode, but for about 45 seconds.  The reason I was mad at the time was due to not liking the Million Dollar Game played in the same half as Golden Road.  Two guesses in 10 second is very, very, difficult to pull off, but winning Clock Game outright without making a mistake is a little more manageable than winning Golden Road outright with making a mistake.

To be brief, it wasn't so much the Million Dollar Game being played in the same half as Golden Road, but the fact that the $1,000,000 factored into the final total as it relates to who spun last.  Cynthia did defeat Mary, but the way that SCSD went down, the order of who spun where had zero impact on the eventual winner.  No big deal at all; respect for Cynthia as her bids represented a contestant that did her/his homework
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 08:12:46 PM »
Contestant Heather Nelson won 3 Strokes in 1986 without drawing a single strike!

And one of my favorite best playings is the Lucky Seven perfection not so long ago.