Author Topic: game shows generally considered subpar that are guilty pleasures for you  (Read 8849 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Mr. Yuck was purely just an idea, similar to what would be used in the Danger Round of Taboo in 2003. Unfortunately, unlike Supermarket Sweep, who realized it was a silly idea and discontinued it, Taboo never really got past the idea that the danger round was pointless.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
Six-year-old me was obsessed with Greed and Winning Lines in 2000, despite their being short-lived.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
In what way? And do you count the "Mr Yuck" episodes as superior to the later ones, or do you see them separate?

For me, what I don’t like is how unbalanced the PAX episodes are compared to the Lifetime episodes.  If you are the first player, you get to participate in exactly 2 questions - the mini sweep to start the show and 1 question.  The second player gets a lot more game time before the Round Robin.  The Lifetime episodes just have more questions for the first player to participate in.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
For me, what I don’t like is how unbalanced the PAX episodes are compared to the Lifetime episodes.  If you are the first player, you get to participate in exactly 2 questions - the mini sweep to start the show and 1 question.  The second player gets a lot more game time before the Round Robin.  The Lifetime episodes just have more questions for the first player to participate in.
Exactly! It totally throws the balance of the game off, having that "pricing items" feature in act 1 (instead of act 2, like in the Lifetime run).

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Frankly, I'm not totally convinced that Sweep needs to be done with teams in the first place (aside from, well, tradition).

If half of each team is just going to patiently stand next to the checkout counter and cheer during the best part of the show, why have them in the studio at all?

The only part of the show that's really improved by having teams is when they confer over the clues in the Bonus Sweep.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."