Author Topic: COMING SOON: Jeopardy! classic episodes from season 1 (and possibly more)  (Read 2704 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
http://buzzerblog.com/2020/07/06/jeopardy-re-runs-first-season-episodes-starting-july-20/ - This just in: Jeopardy!: The First Decade will be coming July 20th, and while we can't prove it (yet), there will be repeats of shows from Jeopardy! first decade, as the name implies (1984-94).

Among the highlights we'll see soon is the first season, and I am giddy about this.

I think TPTB should take my Vintage Jeopardy! idea and call it: "This was Jeopardy!". :D Should be fun.

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
And they can't do this for Wheel of Fortune too because?...........  :roll:

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Maybe because they're different shows and the appeal would be far more limited. The god-awful shopping era is best left in the past.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Maybe because they're different shows and the appeal would be far more limited. The god-awful shopping era is best left in the past.

So are the early Jeopardy's lol, so I mean....

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
I think classic Wheel would be okay if they started from 1987.  While I admire the series as a whole that 1987-1988 season when things started to head toward what we're used to today was just phenomenal (at the time)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
I think classic Wheel would be okay if they started from 1987.  While I admire the series as a whole that 1987-1988 season when things started to head toward what we're used to today was just phenomenal (at the time)

I could see them running the first all cash show or even all cash week from that season. That'd be interesting. And hey....NEON $25,000 sign! lol

Also.....maybe they could dig up the first road series of shows at Radio City Music Hall the following season? Could possibly see that too.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
I could see them running the first all cash show or even all cash week from that season. That'd be interesting. And hey....NEON $25,000 sign! lol

Also.....maybe they could dig up the first road series of shows at Radio City Music Hall the following season? Could possibly see that too.
You got the money to pay the royalties on Changing Keys?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
You got the money to pay the royalties on Changing Keys?

I didn't even realize till now it was actually based off a jazz/piano based tune by that name. But touche on that, wonder what the cost would be to use it.

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Well they're paying the rights for the 1984 Jeopardy! theme anyways. It's glad that we're even getting to see those, and I'm certainly be going to watch those. Hopefully viewers will be able to decipher better a lot of pop cultural and current events questions that may not be as well known today, which is another reason why I like watching old quizzers.

I myself personally found quite a few episodes from mostly the first decade last summer from a Craigslist find, including about 20 from 1987 that included the end of the inaugural Teen Tournament and most of the first ever Seniors Tournament, and even an early Season 4 episode where WJLA aired out of order by a few days instead of airing a certain episode that went missing in DC. I do hope they show the original consolation plugs at the end instead of editing those out, since some stations (WJLA in particular) edited those out in exchange for a couple more commercials in its place when first run. Season 1 interests me the most due to the unique set used that season as well as some of the audience chatter and of course the strategy of ringing in as soon as the clue is uncovered. Remember the canned groans for an incorrect response that season?

Seasons 4-7 would also be really nice since those never aired in GSN and also bring about some of my earliest childhood memories. I remember being afraid of the Merv Griffin Enterprises "blinking griffin" logo as a kid, but hopefully it won't be plastered over by CBS/Sony, but that's likely what will happen since Sony tends to do a good job at plastering. I even have an episode from early Season 8 in my collection that originally used the Blinking Griffin, but a rerun from the following year on a weekend rerun plastered it over with the short-lived "90s Grifffin" that is modeled after the Columbia logo at the time.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
Interesting what you said Mr. Pannoni, because all of the J! episodes you're getting upcoming would again be coming from WJLA in Washington DC. I can't think of any other station that also tended to edit out the player intros also. Boy WJLA was commercial crazy back then. Well, stations like WTLV in Jacksonville, FL(as the ABC affiliate) and many Independent stations left in the fee plugs and the player intros more importantly.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Wonder which episodes we'll see after the first two. I don't doubt that they'll play some classic Tournament of Champions episodes along with the runs of perennial favorites such as Bob Verini, Frank Spangenberg and Jerome Vered. The third episode is confirmed to be one from Chuck Forrest's run, titled "Chuck Forrest Record-Breaking Win". He set the five-day winnings record at the end of his fourth game, so time will tell if they will air his fourth or fifth win.

I do hope they show the original consolation plugs at the end instead of editing those out, since some stations (WJLA in particular) edited those out in exchange for a couple more commercials in its place when first run.

Don't hold your breath. The episodes they put on Netflix don't have prize plugs even if they are prerecorded. When the consolation prize sponsorship with Aleve started, the episodes fade out as soon as Alex signs off.

Offline Spmahn

• In the Audience
And they can't do this for Wheel of Fortune too because?...........  :roll:

Nearly every episode of Wheel from 1983 to present day has aired at various times on GSN, I think they were airing the Shopping Round era shows as recently as a few years ago. There are also hundreds and hundreds of Wheel episodes on Youtube dating back to Chuck Woolery for you to binge. None of this is true for Jeopardy however. The early seasons of J! havenít aired since GSN ran them maybe once in the mid-90ís, and a lot of that era doesnít exist in collectors hands either.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Nearly every episode of Wheel from 1983 to present day has aired at various times on GSN
Hardly. All they've aired are Seasons 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 31 (not counting one-off airings from other seasons)

I think they were airing the Shopping Round era shows as recently as a few years ago.
The last time the shopping-era shows were on the regular lineup was in July 1999, and the last time a shopping episode aired in any form was during the Merv Griffin tribute in August 2007.

Source: https://wheeloffortunehistory.fandom.com/wiki/Game_Show_Network

Offline Spmahn

• In the Audience
Hardly. All they've aired are Seasons 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 31 (not counting one-off airings from other seasons)
The last time the shopping-era shows were on the regular lineup was in July 1999, and the last time a shopping episode aired in any form was during the Merv Griffin tribute in August 2007.

I stand corrected, regardless there are still endless amounts of Wheel on Youtube because Sony doesnít protect it for whatever reason, but even the shortest clips of Jeopardy get a DMCA Takedown notice almost instantly when they are uploaded.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner

Wow, 31 was it on more recent years? I thought for sure they aired more than that, but guess not.