Author Topic: COMING SOON: Jeopardy! classic episodes from season 1 (and possibly more)  (Read 11620 times)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Hardly. All they've aired are Seasons 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 31 (not counting one-off airings from other seasons)

They recently aired some episodes from Season 30 too, albiet not the whole season.

Online jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
Well they're paying the rights for the 1984 Jeopardy! theme anyways. It's glad that we're even getting to see those, and I'm certainly be going to watch those. Hopefully viewers will be able to decipher better a lot of pop cultural and current events questions that may not be as well known today, which is another reason why I like watching old quizzers.

I myself personally found quite a few episodes from mostly the first decade last summer from a Craigslist find, including about 20 from 1987 that included the end of the inaugural Teen Tournament and most of the first ever Seniors Tournament, and even an early Season 4 episode where WJLA aired out of order by a few days instead of airing a certain episode that went missing in DC. I do hope they show the original consolation plugs at the end instead of editing those out, since some stations (WJLA in particular) edited those out in exchange for a couple more commercials in its place when first run. Season 1 interests me the most due to the unique set used that season as well as some of the audience chatter and of course the strategy of ringing in as soon as the clue is uncovered. Remember the canned groans for an incorrect response that season?

Seasons 4-7 would also be really nice since those never aired in GSN and also bring about some of my earliest childhood memories. I remember being afraid of the Merv Griffin Enterprises "blinking griffin" logo as a kid, but hopefully it won't be plastered over by CBS/Sony, but that's likely what will happen since Sony tends to do a good job at plastering. I even have an episode from early Season 8 in my collection that originally used the Blinking Griffin, but a rerun from the following year on a weekend rerun plastered it over with the short-lived "90s Grifffin" that is modeled after the Columbia logo at the time.

Personally, I'd love to see season 8. :D

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
You got the money to pay the royalties on Changing Keys?

Although they might have a bit extra now, when you figure out how much they saved for those episodes that were never made this year (for both shows)?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
I'd love to see classic Wheel too alongside Jeopardy, but frankly I'm pretty surprised they've been going outside of the past two seasons for reruns since new episodes stopped (sans for two weeks with trip giveaways they haven't aired yet). I wouldn't mind them rerunning Vanna's hosting weeks and saying it's for Christmas in July, but I just looked at my program guide and I see the next two weeks are San Diego and Chicago themed weeks from season 34.

As for Jeopardy, this schedule through the 28th was posted on the Buy a Vowel WoF forum:
July 20: Trebek premiere (not counting pilots)
July 21: Trebek's second episode (three-way zero finish resulted in no returning champion the next day)
July 22: One of Chuck Forrest's shows (Xfinity doesn't list which one)
July 23: One of Frank Spangenberg's shows (Xfinity doesn't list which one)
July 24: A 10th Anniversary Tournament show (Xfinity doesn't list which one, but I think it will be the second game of the two-day final)
July 27: October 26, 1992 (the first celebrity episode with Trebek as host)
July 28: February 5, 2001 (also a celebrity episode)

Looks like the week of the 27th will be various celebrity episodes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:31:47 PM by JayC »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
I'd love to see classic Wheel too alongside Jeopardy, but frankly I'm pretty surprised they've been going outside of the past two seasons for reruns since new episodes stopped (sans for two weeks with trip giveaways they haven't aired yet). I wouldn't mind them rerunning Vanna's hosting weeks and saying it's for Christmas in July, but I just looked at my program guide and I see the next two weeks are San Diego and Chicago themed weeks from season 34.

As for Jeopardy, this schedule through the 28th was posted on the Buy a Vowel WoF forum:
July 20: Trebek premiere (not counting pilots)
July 21: Trebek's second episode (three-way zero finish resulted in no returning champion the next day)
July 22: One of Chuck Forrest's shows (Xfinity doesn't list which one)
July 23: One of Frank Spangenberg's shows (Xfinity doesn't list which one)
July 24: A 10th Anniversary Tournament show (Xfinity doesn't list which one, but I think it will be the second game of the two-day final)
July 27: October 26, 1992 (the first celebrity episode with Trebek as host)
July 28: February 5, 2001 (also a celebrity episode)

Looks like the week of the 27th will be various celebrity episodes.

For those who are interested, the celebrity games listed feature: Jodie Foster, Nathan Lane & Harry Connick Jr. for the 2001 episode, and of course....Carol Burnett, Donna Mills & Regis Philbin for the 1992 show. I'd sorta like to see one of Pat's shows aired somewhere, he did/has done at least two I believe over the years.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Fun fact: the first Alex Trebek episode of Jeopardy was commercially released as part of the 2005 DVD release Jeopardy - An Inside Look at America's Favorite Quiz Show.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So is this going to be just for Xfinity users, or is this a buzzr.tv (and on television) thing?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
So is this going to be just for Xfinity users, or is this a buzzr.tv (and on television) thing?
For everyone watching on TV. And Buzzr has absolutely nothing to do with it.  :roll:

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
For everyone watching on TV. And Buzzr has absolutely nothing to do with it.  :roll:
Also, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are not Fremantle shows (they are produced by Sony), so that's another reason you'll never see them on Buzzr.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
The upcoming classic Jeopardy reruns are airing in the usual syndicated version's timeslot in place of new episodes or reruns from the past season. So whenever Jeopardy is on where you are that's when they'll be on. Xfinity is just listed in the lineup I posted because that's the cable provider of the person who posted it.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline RatRace10

Maybe because they're different shows and the appeal would be far more limited. The god-awful shopping era is best left in the past.
I wasn't a fan of Wheel's shopping era either, but you can't deny it was an icon of the show, nonetheless. People could say to their children, "This is how they used to do it. They'd get stuck with that dalmatian." Wheel still likes to give the dalmatian cameos on the set now and then.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 11:04:18 PM by RatRace10 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
I wasn't a fan of Wheel's shopping era either, but you can't deny it was an icon of the show, nonetheless. People could say to their children, "This is how they used to do it. They'd get stuck with that dalmatian." Wheel still likes to give the dalmatian cameos on the set now and then.

You know I was thinking earlier....this was obviously not ever a thing in Pat's era (and beyond in daytime), day or night, but it's kinda amazing that sans using it in the short-lived hour long trial that Wheel among other shows of the era tried after seeing Price had success doing it, it took a full 7 years just about to have a bonus round. It goes so well with the show, that it feels kinda weird and almost unfinished to NOT have one. Anyone else feel this way about Woolery's era?

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
There’s not enough surviving Woolery footage for me to really make a judgement, but from the little that does exist I don’t think he was a great host for Wheel, he was a bit awkward.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
There’s not enough surviving Woolery footage for me to really make a judgement, but from the little that does exist I don’t think he was a great host for Wheel, he was a bit awkward.

He kinda always was. That was sorta his trademark across all his shows, akin to how Bert Convy was on Super Password.