Author Topic: Weakest Link Revival Now Casting  (Read 5133 times)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Weakest Link Revival Now Casting
« on: July 07, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
Weakest link is making a come back. It's unknown what network the show is airing on or whos hosting. A lot of the newer versions the hosts are much nicer i wonder if they will follow.

http://buzzerblog.com/2020/07/07/weakest-link-revival-now-casting/?fbclid=IwAR1wiUFPoXXvkXL_I2M46tAzRrvOBTxOPP7xZApfIl5GEb6kwZxsl9WXjzY

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Weakest Link Revival Now Casting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 01:21:39 AM »
A lot of the newer versions the hosts are much nicer i wonder if they will follow.

I dunno... maybe it doesn't qualify as "newer," but I thought George Gray was snarky in his role as host.  It's hard to reconcile the George Gray who invites people to "come on down" with the George Gray who declared "you are the weakest link" and dismissed them with a smarmy "goodbye."

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »
And we have confirmation of a host with Hollywood Game Night's Jane Lynch being the host of the revival set to production set to begin later this year on NBC and will have a few modern twists.

https://tvline.com/2020/07/08/weakest-link-reboot-jane-lynch-nbc/

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:56:55 PM »
I emailed and was told that they’re only looking to cast people in the LA area. I’m assuming this will be cheap low budget filler material for the gaps in the fall schedule due to Corona.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 06:47:09 PM »
I emailed and was told that they’re only looking to cast people in the LA area. I’m assuming this will be cheap low budget filler material for the gaps in the fall schedule due to Corona.

Or possibly just figuring it's easier at this point if those coming are close by to avoid travel issues?

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »
And we have confirmation of a host with Hollywood Game Night's Jane Lynch being the host of the revival set to production set to begin later this year on NBC and will have a few modern twists.

https://tvline.com/2020/07/08/weakest-link-reboot-jane-lynch-nbc/
I could definitely see her hosting this show, seeing that she had a mean streak of her own as Sue Sylvester on Glee.

As for George Gray, I never thought in a million years that he'd trade in "You are the weakest link, goodbye" for "Come on down!" In retrospect, he's a much better fit as the TPIR announcer than he ever was as the Weakest Link host.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »
I could definitely see her hosting this show, seeing that she had a mean streak of her own as Sue Sylvester on Glee.

As for George Gray, I never thought in a million years that he'd trade in "You are the weakest link, goodbye" for "Come on down!" In retrospect, he's a much better fit as the TPIR announcer than he ever was as the Weakest Link host.

He's a far cry now from his controversial Extreme Gong stint a few years before that too. He was pretty much universally hated for a time from that.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
He's a far cry now from his controversial Extreme Gong stint a few years before that too. He was pretty much universally hated for a time from that.
When you say "universally hated", do you mean just us crapping on him, or legit missing out on job opportunities because of a bad reputation? (I've heard that Geoff Edwards had that problem in the 1970s due to his association with Treasure Hunt)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »
When you say "universally hated", do you mean just us crapping on him, or legit missing out on job opportunities because of a bad reputation? (I've heard that Geoff Edwards had that problem in the 1970s due to his association with Treasure Hunt)

I feel like he had a bad rep from the online community at the time at least, although what that cost him or didn't I am not sure, but could be wrong. I seem to recall there was something he said on the show that really pissed people off. Someone can correct me if I am off on that, but that's what I remember reading about later (I was only about 10 at the time Extreme Gong was on so anything I heard was second hand pretty much after the fact).

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 09:35:04 PM »
I never saw a single episode of Extreme Gong, but saying hi to his Mama May at the start of each TPIR episode should more than make up for that.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:57:42 PM »
I seem to recall there was something he said on the show that really pissed people off.
From what I've heard, there was supposedly an episode where he took a direct potshot at ATGS (the direct forerunner to The Game Show Forum), and it went over about as well as expected.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 10:26:54 PM »
From what I've heard, there was supposedly an episode where he took a direct potshot at ATGS (the direct forerunner to The Game Show Forum), and it went over about as well as expected.

Yeah that seems about right to what I remember.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 10:31:19 PM »
Jane Lynch is a great choice to host, she definitely has the snark and wit needed.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 01:21:39 AM »
George doesn't get near enough credit for what he did on Weakest Link... he had to

•replace a very iconic host that that originated the role, without duplicating her style
•balance the triple act of being a straight game show host who will keep the game moving, being warm enough to get contestants to open up on camera, and being a condescending malapert willing to get down in the mud and really roast them
•read 60-80 questions smoothly and clearly every episode, with no time for retakes
•make funny ad-libs about contestants' lame excuses, without depending on a producer or cue cards or an IFB in his ear

It is not an easy role, especially for somebody who was relatively unknown at the time, but he absolutely held his own. I still think that's some of his best work. He hit just the right mix & supplanted Anne Robinson in my mind.

I think I remember the story was that the producer was unhappy that ATGS was lambasting his show, so he made it a recurring bit on the show to call out the site by name mocking in as many ways as possible ("our consolation prize: hanging out with the other losers at alt.tv.game-shows") & do thinly veiled jabs at specific posters & comments. Which only made ATGS more irate, which only made the show more acidic, etc.

Luckily, everybody learned after that incident and nobody ever overreacted about/on a game show message board again.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 01:33:48 AM »
I think I remember the story was that the producer was unhappy that ATGS was lambasting his show, so he made it a recurring bit on the show to call out the site by name mocking in as many ways as possible ("our consolation prize: hanging out with the other losers at alt.tv.game-shows") & do thinly veiled jabs at specific posters & comments. Which only made ATGS more irate, which only made the show more acidic, etc.

Luckily, everybody learned after that incident and nobody ever overreacted about/on a game show message board again.

Well.....there WAS that period in Drew's early years where he openly mocked this forum for being what he deemed nitpicky......I think that was in Seasons 37 and 38 if I am not mistaken no?

Oh and on TWL.....George ALSO had to do what he did DAILY, where Anne in the US had not had to. So he had that pressure too on top of everything else. He had to keep the game moving more being in a half hour format as well vs. Anne's hour. To get 1 and a half seasons from all that, and at a time when Millionaire was running at that, definitely nothing to sneeze at.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:39:32 AM by pricefan18 »