Author Topic: Weakest Link Revival Now Casting  (Read 5124 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Weakest Link Revival Now Casting
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 02:20:22 AM »
Well.....there WAS that period in Drew's early years where he openly mocked this forum for being what he deemed nitpicky......I think that was in Seasons 37 and 38 if I am not mistaken no?
Pretty sure that whole mess came about directly because of:
* the perfect Showcase bid;
* the way the show completely botched their handling of it, and
* Drew's snark in response to us calling them out for their handling of it.

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »
Well.....there WAS that period in Drew's early years where he openly mocked this forum for being what he deemed nitpicky......I think that was in Seasons 37 and 38 if I am not mistaken no?

Oh and on TWL.....George ALSO had to do what he did DAILY, where Anne in the US had not had to. So he had that pressure too on top of everything else. He had to keep the game moving more being in a half hour format as well vs. Anne's hour. To get 1 and a half seasons from all that, and at a time when Millionaire was running at that, definitely nothing to sneeze at.
Drew actually came to this site? Is it possible for somebody to find the topic(s) he posted in?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 11:52:06 AM »
Drew actually came to this site? Is it possible for somebody to find the topic(s) he posted in?

I don't think he posted really at all if I remember, most I recall was appearing in chat a few times. Someone can correct me if that's wrong though, but I think that's what his involvement here more was. His taking shots was more like George, doing so on air. Specifically, there was an episode where he made fun of the fact that a camera shot had changed I believe it was as they came back from break, saying "I"m calling Rich Di Pierro!", but there were other times too I think.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
Luckily, everybody learned after that incident and nobody ever overreacted about/on a game show message board again.

Nope, ATGS was the only recorded incident like that in game show history, everything after that is bliss and peace and harmony. :D

But seriously...

Pretty sure that whole mess came about directly because of:
* the perfect Showcase bid;
* the way the show completely botched their handling of it, and
* Drew's snark in response to us calling them out for their handling of it.

It definitely wasn't a one-sided affair. By the time the perfect bid incident happened, this site had heaped so much negativity on them I can understand them doubting the intentions of gr.net were purely constructive. I'm not going to dispute it was handled unprofessionally, but let's not pretend Drew & Mike & co didn't have a good reason for being suspicious after a big public months-long negative circlejerk.

Yeah, the show started to suck in some ways and we weren't shy about saying so, but members of this site also blew up some good-faith efforts the show made to reach out (going to Drew's new blog and demanding public apologies for Terry/Jack Wagner/Drewcases, etc.)

It takes two parties to communicate. For a while this site was "Roger's Facebook" levels of toxic. If I were involved in running the show, I wouldn't want to reach out to gr.net either circa 2008-2015.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
It takes two parties to communicate. For a while this site was "Roger's Facebook" levels of toxic. If I were involved in running the show, I wouldn't want to reach out to gr.net either circa 2008-2015.

Was it really up to 2015 that it was that toxic? I thought by then (the Drew/George era having long been established) that was over with. Am I wrong?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 01:52:58 PM »
Don't know the exact year, I admittedly didn't visit here very actively during that period. Clicked on a few old recap threads from then and maybe I'm misremembering. It certainly seemed like it took quite a while though.

It does seem like things have changed for the better, whether it's the site that's changed or the show that's changed (seems like both to me). Even if they're not giving us personal backstage tours there's at least water under the bridge.

I think a lot of it is survivorship bias. We discuss the current show here, and you're not likely to stick around for years here if you just want things to go back the way they were and can't find anything to like about the current show. Another part it is most people, even among the most devout hardcore fans, can't watch a show regularly for 10 years without life getting in the way, and the site naturally will shed users & pick up new ones.

George & Drew definitely seem very comfortable with LFaTs these days. They're nice, they're great at interacting with fans, they love chatting with LFaTs in the studio during commercial breaks, they interact with silly fan stuff on twitter, the whole nine yards.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:57 PM »
Don't know the exact year, I admittedly didn't visit here very actively during that period. Clicked on a few old recap threads from then and maybe I'm misremembering. It certainly seemed like it took quite a while though.

It does seem like things have changed for the better, whether it's the site that's changed or the show that's changed (seems like both to me). Even if they're not giving us personal backstage tours there's at least water under the bridge.

I think a lot of it is survivorship bias. We discuss the current show here, and you're not likely to stick around for years here if you just want things to go back the way they were and can't find anything to like about the current show. Another part it is most people, even among the most devout hardcore fans, can't watch a show regularly for 10 years without life getting in the way, and the site naturally will shed users & pick up new ones.

George & Drew definitely seem very comfortable with LFaTs these days. They're nice, they're great at interacting with fans, they love chatting with LFaTs in the studio during commercial breaks, they interact with silly fan stuff on twitter, the whole nine yards.

I have to wonder.....if Drew wasn't having the weight and depression issues he had when the show started......would he have been the same way still? I feel that coulda played into his attitude as much as anything else did given how he changed once the weight came off.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 04:08:09 AM »
George doesn't get near enough credit for what he did on Weakest Link... he had to

•replace a very iconic host that that originated the role
•being warm enough to get contestants to open up on camera

Not so much in the US, since Anne Robinson wasn't well known here (as far as I know), but in the UK, was she enough of a known quantity/iconic enough that even though her persona was mean and antisocial and all that, contestants were still willing to open up to her because she's Anne Robinson?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.