Author Topic: Pricing Games: What the Common Trait?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
Pricing Games: What the Common Trait?
« on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:45 AM »
How about a stress-free, non-controversial Price is Right topic?

Here is a list of games I've compiled that share a common trait. Can you figure out what it is?

Cliff Hangers
Danger Price
Gas Money
Golden Road
Grand Game
Grocery Game
Lucky 7
More or Less
Shower Game
Triple Play
Walk of Fame

Hints:

1. I've left out a large number of games that qualify for the list, but would be silly to include because of what the common trait is and because it would make the list much longer. Double Prices and Most Expensive are two such games.

2. Certain other games could technically qualify but it would be extremely unlikely for the key trait to come into play. It's Optional and Credit Card come to mind.

3. Cover Up, One Away, and That's Too Much should perhaps be on the list, but I consider them borderline. TTM! is the least borderline case.

Good luck!

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
Re: Pricing Games: What the Common Trait?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:21:09 AM »
How about a stress-free, non-controversial Price is Right topic?

No, YOU'RE wrong!

I mean, okay. Let me study the list...

(a few minutes pass)

All right, I have a guess. I'll write it in really small text because I assume we're all on the honor system to not read the other answers in the thread.

My guess: All of the games can end after the contestant makes one pricing decision. (Although in Lucky Seven's case, it depends on what the thousands digit is. And I say "pricing decision" because of Walk of Fame's second-chance autograph books.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »
Very nice puzzle!

Took me about 20 minutes but I think it clicked.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing Games: What's the Common Trait?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
Scott, you're about 90% of the way there...and reallly, close enough! Clarifcation/hint for those who have scrolled this far down and are still playing: Now that Scott brought it up, Walk of Fame shouldn't have been on the list specifically because of the autograph books, which I forgot about. Also, yeah, specific conditions need to be in place for Lucky 7 to fit the criteria, but it can fit.

The specific answer I was going for: These are games that can end in an immediate loss on the contestant's first decision.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »
The hint that helped me out the most was Hint #2. It forced me to ask "What condition can TECHNICALLY happen in hypothetical playings of It's Optional and Credit Card, but isn't likely to ever happen?" That made me focus in on a small number of possibilities.

The pricing game on the list whose inclusion helped me the most was Shower Game. It forced me to ask All of these games feature multiple "prizes" in play except this (and Lucky Seven, if you don't count the $6); how Shower Game like the others?, which led me to asking if one-prize quickies like Double Prices could make the list, why weren't they included?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »
Another hint: You could also create a list of games where the OPPOSITE can happen, but it would be a much shorter list (again leaving out the games from hint number 1). Bullseye and Grocery Game are the only two that I can think of quickly, with That's Too Much qualifying only under highly unlikely circumstances.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:08:55 PM by actual_retail_tice »

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 02:12:41 PM »
You could make the opposite list...with That's Too Much qualifying only under highly unlikely circumstances.
Shopping Spree, too.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »
<applause applause applause>

THIS is the kind of thread I enjoy during Priceless Summer, thank you for sharing!

Also for the record my initial guess was "Games that require exactly three decisions", but some of the games in the list wouldn't apply.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!