Author Topic: Review the Drew Carey Era Pricing Game Renovations/Remodels  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
So one thing the current Price administration is big on is remodeling/renovating games. Often times, it is as simple as a paint job, while other times it is a complete remodel with new technology.

I have compiled an image of all of the games that have received a major remodel/paint job during the Carey era. While there are a few omissions (I did not include minor changes like the sirens in Danger Price and the prize podium changes in games like OWP and Pathy), the games on this list have received some kind of significant change since Drew took over:

Any Number (new set/used number board)
Bargain Game (new set and name)
Bonus Game (new monitors)
Bullseye (new set/monitors)
Card Game (new set/monitor)
Check Game (remodeled set/monitors)
Clock Game (new set)
Double Prices (complete paint job)
Grand Game (remodeled set/monitors)
1/2 Off (complete paint job)
It's in the Bag (complete paint job)
Master Key (new set)
Most Expensive (new set)
Now...or Then (remodeled set/paint job)
Plinko (remodeled set/lights)
Punch-a-Bunch (complete paint job)
Push Over (complete paint job)
Range Game (complete paint job)
Side By Side (new set)
Squeeze Play (complete paint job)
Stack the Deck (remodeled set/paint job)
Temptation (remodeled set/colors)
10 Chances (remodeled set/colors)
3 Strikes (remodeled set/colors)

This is a good opportunity during this potential extended hiatus to look back at all of the changes and form an opinion. I personally love most of the set redesigns, with a few that I feel went too far/look tacky (you need sunglasses to look at 1/2 Off).

Edit: I also did not include Time is Money because, in all practical purposes, it's basically a new game. Also the set was trashed well before Carey took over.

https://imgur.com/3w5m1zJ
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 12:54:17 PM by Josh444 »

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Review the Drew Carey Era Pricing Game Renovations/Remodels
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
Just curious: Although now retired, what's your opinion on the first major set refurbishment in the Drew era, Make Your Mark?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 12:56:59 PM »
Just curious: Although now retired, what's your opinion on the first major set refurbishment in the Drew era, Make Your Mark?

Barney the Dinosaur?

I considered including it (along with Step Up), but since those games are no more, I left them out. I understand eliminating the marble, but it was an eyesore.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
Barney the Dinosaur?

I considered including it (along with Step Up), but since those games are no more, I left them out. I understand eliminating the marble, but it was an eyesore.

I forgot Step Up got tweaked.

Now...or Then needs a whole new set, never mind a refirb.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:05:05 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »
I would say Any Number is one of the better ones, because of the fact of the used number board being added. That was a genius idea I think, since contestants can easily get flustered onstage, being on TV and up in front of the studio audience, let alone playing for a car too in addition. Half surprised it was never thought of before, considering they had used something similar in the very early days for Bullseye 1. All they'd have had to do, was tweak it to reflect 0-9 vs. 1-7, and turn the numbers off based on what was picked vs. in order.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:27:53 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »
My favorite set change is 3 Strikes.  It finally has the complete baseball theme!  Although, I do miss the old font of the numbers.

Another quality change was 10 Chances.  I was never a fan of the white lattice looking set.  Today's set looks much sleeker!

Besides Now...or Then, which game is the most due for a change?

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 04:00:03 PM »
I like the silver Any Number board which comes across nicely on television and I agree about the used numbers.

My favorite changed sets are for Card Game and Clock Game, both of which came much more into the 21st Century with their new sets.

In terms of subtle stuff, I miss the old blue windows on Bonus Game but like the new Grand Game set.

I have mixed feelings about Side by Side. I like the new set. Weirdly enough, the color scheme puts me in mind of the sun over water. But I miss the sorry indicator on losses and the old ice cube set was one of my favorites.

Now let's get Line em Up a new set and bring into the 21st Century and get Pick a Number a new set to make it much less ugly.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 04:03:27 PM »
Side by Side isn't the best redo they've ever done. However, the pastel pink look the old set has looked awful for years. It needed to happen.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 04:36:51 PM »
S Tier
Plinko (Plinko should feel huge, and the spotlights & automated slots add a lot to it)
Card Game (it certainly feels like Vegas)
3 Strikes (it's even huger and larger than life than ever before--ball hopper notwithstanding)
Temptation (chromey gold is way more of a temptation than pink pastel)

A Tier
Any Number (used number board is good, streamlined displays are good)
Most Expensive (it has a logo now!)
Check Game (the glass logo sure feels like a bank, and it's easier on the eyes than the old one)
Side By Side (the old one looks like it would have gotten lost on stage; it's bigger and no longer looks like a 90's bathroom)
Master Key (it's so reflective, I need sunglasses--still not convinced it was necessary, but I can't say it doesn't look darn fine)

It's in the Bag
1/2 Off
Punch-a-Bunch
(all paint jobs to get rid of the 90's pastels & modernize them)

Squeeze Play
(a paint job to GO BACK to the pastels, but it works & is a nice throwback)

B Tier
Bonus Game (most of it's good, but putting animations in the monitors was a mistake)
Bullseye (like Bonus Game, there's so much to like about it, but the touchscreens really hurt it for me--the pull cards shouldn't have been lost)
Clock Game (it's not bad, it's what it replaces that makes this feels like a step back)
Double Prices (it's not bad, just unnecessary)
10 Chances (losing the wicker streamlined it too much)

Now...or Then
Range Game
Stack the Deck (If you're not looking closely, would you know that these remodels happened? Not remarkable enough to comment on)

C Tier
Bargain Game (too low-budget)
Push Over (it's so... yellow)
Grand Game (I miss the old logo & the manual $10,000 slider)
Make Your Mark (blech)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 08:48:09 PM »
I understand eliminating the marble, but it was an eyesore.

The marble actually went away toward the end of Season 35.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
Best: Master Key
Worst: Clock Game
Push: Squeeze Play (never liked the gold set)
Honorable Mention: the Wheel.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
Barker's Markers had one of the most odd color combos out of all the pricing games in my opinion. So far, the best refurbishments they've done are for the sets of Bonus Game, 3 Strikes, and the Check Game. They all have the same vibe of their original sets, but with a touch of modernization in them.

I really don't know why, but it seems that most of the game refurbishments have the blue-yellow-orange combo. I'll say it's a little odd for me to not haves some kind of variation within each pricing game.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 10:54:20 PM »
Overall Best: Most Expensive. The previous numbers were too simple and the carpet really adds something.
Overall Worst: Bonus Game. The electronic monitors add the appearance of tampering to the contestant and audience.
Best Paint Job: Range Game.
Worst Paint Job: 1/2 Off. Why are they so in love with orange?
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 10:59:42 PM »
That's Too Much was refurbished as well, it was one of the games that had a new look debut on the primetime reality show specials in 2016.

For me personally my favorite refurbishment is Master Key, followed by Bullseye, 3 Strikes, Any Number, and Card Game. Master Key just looks more sleek and not small and dated now, Bullseye's old set was definitely dated, I like incorporating baseball further into 3 Strikes, the new Any Number set was not a big change from the previous but definitely made it more sleek, and the current Card Game set added much needed pizazz to a game that is otherwise not that exciting. Most Expensive and Squeeze Play are honorable mentions, Most Expensive's set was dated and adding a logo was nice, and the battleship gray never really looked right for Squeeze Play.

Worst for me- Make Your Mark, Side by Side, and 10 Chances. Make Your Mark was just horrid and while the original Side by Side set was too 90s this new set looks like a vintage Holiday Inn. Also don't like the current 10 Chances set, wish they just ditched the wicker and otherwise kept it mostly the same.

Other thoughts: The That's Too Much, It's in the Bag, Pushover, Punch a Bunch, and 1/2 Off set refurbishings weren't overly necessary, they mostly just seemed like change for the sake of change.
I didn't like the Double Prices refurbishing at first, but it's grown on me.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 03:00:52 AM »
One game I haven’t seen mentioned yet is Pass the Buck. The grocery podium has gone through a few changes over Drew’s tenure including the replacement of the rotating section from three sections (from the game’s original rules) to two sections.