Author Topic: "Auction-aire" - gamesurf's Cullen-style Price is Right  (Read 31445 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
"Auction-aire" - gamesurf's Cullen-style Price is Right
« on: July 12, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” -Theolonius Monk

This is a jazzy riff on the format we all know and love!

What's familiar? The episode will have four IUFBs and four pricing games. The winner of each IUFB plays a pricing game. The top two winners at the end of the show will play in the showcases. It’s just like a regular half-hour show with one extra IUFB and pricing game.

The difference is the way contestants bid on IUFBs. The One-Bids will be done in a Cullen-esque style that allows for anybody to jump in.

IUFBs will not be using the “One-Bid” format. Instead… we’re going to throw back, way back to the Bill Cullen days, before even “Come On Down” was associated with the show.

•Just like an auction, you can raise your bid, but you can't lower it.
•Each time a player raises, they must bid at least $20 more than the highest bid.
•At any time, players may choose to “freeze” their bids.
•A player may make their first bid something under the highest bid, but they must freeze immediately.

A “frozen” bid guarantees a $20 cushion. (For example, if somebody “freezes” at $400, all future bids from $400 to $419 are off limits for that round, even if it’s another player’s first bid.) This rule is intended to encourage players to “freeze” when they are confident, and discourage players from simply waiting until the last minute and one-upping somebody.

Bidding periods last 48 hours. Once the bidding period is over, all bids automatically freeze. The ARP is revealed. The bidder who is closest to the ARP of the prize without going over wins it, and wins the right to play a pricing game. (If everybody is over, a buzzer sounds, all bids are cleared and bidding is reopened for 24 hours.)

Bidders will not be limited to four players. Instead, bidding is open to anybody in the audience who wishes to participate and is eligible as per the HYO Forum Rules.

Anybody may jump in on any IUFB, so long as they meet the HYO forum requirements. Even players who have won previous IUFBs and played pricing games can still bid on future IUFBs and potentially win again. (The only exception is if somebody wins the first 3 IUFBs in a row.)

Example
It's fairly simple (it's almost verbatim what the rules of the Bill Cullen version were, except opened up to more than four players), but to illustrate here's an example.

The item up for bids is a year’s supply of donuts.

Arthur bids $250.
Brittany, after seeing Arthur's bid, bids $275.

After seeing Brittany's bid, Arthur decides his bid ought to be higher, so he raises his bid to $300.

In a show of confidence, Brittany raises her bid to $350 and freezes. Brittany cannot place any more bids. Since frozen bids have a $20 cushion, no future bidders can place any bids from $351-$369.

Charlie enters with $320. He automatically freezes, since his bid is below the current top bid of $350. (If this was not Charlie's opening bid, he would not be allowed to do this.)

Arthur has to decide if he is happy with his bid of $300, or if he wants to raise his bid up to $370 or above (since he would have to bid at least $20 more than the highest bidder). He chooses to freeze at $300.

After 48 hours of bidding are up, the ARP of the donuts is read: $335. Charlie is the winner! Charlie gets to come up onstage and play a pricing game. The process then repeats three more times, and the two biggest winners go to the showcases.

As for the other rules...
  • As before, audience participation is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED! Jokes, banter, memes, are ALWAYS welcome!
    I would say shouting out prices and advice is welcome, too, at all times except during the IUFBs--but shouting out prices during the IUFBs is the whole POINT of this format, so I'll just say SHOUT OUT PRICES AND ADVICE!
  • I have a handy graphic that I will post every so often to help organize the bids, but it is your responsibility to check and make sure your bid is valid before you place it. Once a valid bid is made, it is binding.
  • If you win an IUFB, I will PM you.
  • All players are on a 24 hour time limit for responses in PGs and SCs. Miss your deadline in a pricing game and it’s an auto-loss. So please please please, don’t forget to check the thread!
  • Don’t try to google prices, of course.
  • Do not chew gum on television!
  • And most importantly… have fun!!

I would have an audition question, but... since anyone in the audience is eligible to bid, we don't need audition questions! But if you'd like to play, feel free to RSVP by posting what's the weirdest thing you've ever won in an auction.

I'll keep this open for about 72 hours if anybody has any questions about the format (or anything else) they want to ask before the show starts. The show will begin at approximately 3 EST/Noon PST on Wednesday, July 15th.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:41:34 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: "Auction-aire" - gamesurf's Cullen-style Price is Right
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 01:56:01 PM »
Sounds interesting. I'm in! I've never been to an auction so I've never won anything from an auction.

Offline rockyboy34

• In the Audience
  • This gives me life.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »
Count me in!

Like tpiradam, I don’t do auctions, so I’ve never gotten anything via auction.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 04:25:04 PM »
Reading Railroad, for $215.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:36:51 PM »
I never won anything in a auction.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »
Reading Railroad, for $215.

Amateur. Try Boardwalk for $131. :P
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:38 PM »
Amateur. Try Boardwalk for $131. :P

O_O Lowest I've got it was $250. How'd you manage to get it so cheap?
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »
I’ll play! If Chinese auctions count, I’ve won my fair share of things such as American Express gift cards, appetizer bashes at bars and boxes of wine.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 09:41:36 PM »
I can say I'm good at real life bidding, but never participated or won anything at an auction.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 04:11:26 PM »
All right, it's time...(Sign-ups are not necessarily closed, because it is a jump-in format... but it's time to begin!)

You've been briefed on the rules, you've signed the paperwork... it's time to open up the studio full of prizes!

The cast is ready, the crew is ready... prizes are loaded and in place. ARE YOU READY???

Scream on the count of three...

two...

one...

GO!

*instead of the normal Walking 2007 cue, a brass band version of “Get Lucky” is heard*

HEEEERE IT COMES! Get set, internet; it’s time to COME ON DOWN!

*camera pans over a studio of cheering audience members*

From the Host Your Own studios at Golden-Road.net! It’s the internet’s most EXCITING thread of FANTASTIC prizes!

*fans continue cheering, as the jib cam explores every nook and cranny of the audience*

A fortune in fabulous prizes may be won today… if the PRICE IS RIGHT!

*”Get Lucky” fades out to the main TPIR theme, and a wide shot of the audience pulls out to reveal…a small brass band, playing the music live, gathered in what was formerly Contestant’s Row*

Music for this episode featuring the Hot Hot Horns Brass Band!

And now, here’s your host… gamesurf!

*dissolving to a shot of door #2, gamesurf walks through the doors as the brassy version of the TPIR theme continues*

Thank you, AnnouncerTron! Thank you! Welcome to the Price is Right!

Fans of the Price is Right, let me assure you, this is the same show you know and love with wonderful awards for smart shoppers. We still have your favorite pricing games and fabulous showcases.

Having said that, we have an exciting new method of bidding on the items up for bids. Or, rather, an old method made new. All of you in the audience have handheld keypads. Anybody in the audience is allowed to place a bid, which means that anybody in the audience can be a winner!

And we're going to kick off the first Item Up For Bids right now...what is it that they’re bidding on, Announcer Guy?

*the band begins to play a brass verion of  “Popcorn”*

A lovely smartwatch package!

From Samsung, this pair of 46mm smartwatches feature OLED displays and come equipped military-grade durability and are water resistant to over 150 feet. Compatible with Android and iOS, you’ll wear them so often you’ll never have that skin under your wrist see the sun ever again! Screen protector, earbuds, and wireless charging pad included!

And those smartwatches are going to be won by one of you! As always, the smartwatch package will go to the one who bids nearest to the Actual Retail Price Without Going Over.

You'll notice that each of you in the audience have a handheld keypad in your seat. You will be using those keypads to bid on the smartwatches.

Just like an auction, anybody may place a bid at any time. You may raise your bid as many times as you wish, but you may never lower it.

If you think your bid is just right, you may FREEZE, and you can’t be one-upped. Freezing guarantees you a $20 minimum—if a bid is frozen at $200, for example, all future bids from $201-219 are off limits.

If it’s your first bid, you are allowed to underbid ONCE per IUFB, and you must freeze after doing so.

We’ll keep track of the bids on this handy dot matrix bid display, furnished by the American Totalisator Company, a division of Universal Controls, Incorporated.

We’ll keep bidding open for 48 hours, after which all bids will freeze and we’ll reveal the ARP. Closest bidder without going over wins the item and gets to play a pricing game!

All right, everyone... Ready to win some smartwatches? Bidding is now open!

*in lieu of traditional think music, the band begins to play a brass verion of “I Love Rock n’ Roll*

Bidding closes at 12 Noon EST/3 PM PST on Friday, July 17.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline rockyboy34

• In the Audience
  • This gives me life.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
$700

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:58 PM »
$800

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
*DING!*
*DING!*

And the first bids come in, top bid is $800...

Do I hear $820? Do I hear more?

Offline rockyboy34

• In the Audience
  • This gives me life.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 05:23:36 PM »
Hmm...I'll raise my bid to $885 and freeze.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
I'll underbid then to $830 and take the autofreeze.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023