Author Topic: "Auction-aire" - gamesurf's Cullen-style Price is Right  (Read 31148 times)

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: "Auction-aire" - gamesurf's Cullen-style Price is Right
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2020, 06:36:21 AM »
Lets's do:
Candy Bar
Melatonin
Jelly Beans
Playing Cards
Pizza

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
He's putting the candy bar in the 88 cent bag...

the melatonin in the $12.97 bag...

the jelly beans in the $2.99 bag...

the playing cards in the $7.00 bag...

and the pizza in the $3.79 bag.

I hope you're right! We haven't had a winner yet today, and I hope you're the first one.

Now, let's start with the first bag, worth 88 cents. You said the candy bar belongs in this bag. That seems like it should be a fairly easy one. I'll tell you what--if you're right about that, I'll give you $1,000.

Is he right?

*DING!*

He sure is! Easiest $1,000 you've ever made!

(Well, I'm assuming you're not a hedge fund manager, or Bill Gates, or somebody who regularly gets four figures for making decisions about candy bars.)

Now, if you're happy with $1,000, you can take it and go back to your seat, no questions asked. Or.... you can risk it and we can look in the second bag for double-or-nothing. If it's got melatonin in it, I'll double your winnings to $2,000!

What do you say? Keep your winnings, or look in the second bag?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2020, 07:35:22 PM »
Stop at 2k. Those playing cards are $2.99, guarantee it.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
No, but I'd bail at $4k. If anything, the pizza is $7 and is definitely not less than $4.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2020, 09:24:17 PM »
I'll press on.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »
Pressing on, he says! For $2,000...

what is in the bag?

*DING DING!*

Yessir! You've got yourself $2,000.

Now, $2,000 is a lot of money.

But you know what's cooler than $2,000? How about $4,000?

If you want to risk your two grand and look in the next bag, you're welcome to. If it's got jelly beans in it, as you predicted, you win $4,000! But if you push your luck and get it wrong, you lose it all! What do you care to do?
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2020, 12:19:41 AM »
I'll try for the four grand!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2020, 01:03:00 AM »
Going for four grand!

Are the jelly beans $2.99?

Let's see!

*DING DING DING!*

They are! It sounds like there was some disagreement from the audience about that, but you stuck to your guns and paid off. $4,000 is yours!

Unless...

you want more than $4,000?

We have $8,000 for you if those playing cards are in the $7.00 bag.

Care to risk it?

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2020, 01:20:28 AM »
Seems tricky, but I already "asked" the audience, so I don't want to risk it, I'll take the $4K and run, final answer.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2020, 01:38:45 AM »
Fair enough! You leave this stage $4,000 richer than you entered. Absolutely a fine day's work.

But I just have this nagging feeling... I need to know what would have happened.

Did JhayPrice make the right choice in bailing?

He sure did! Well done in listening to your gut.

So if the pizza was $7.00, that must mean that something else was in the last bag...

It was the Sea-Bond. The cards were the tricky one.

$4,000 is a job well done, JhayPrice! Congrats, and I think that'll get you to the showcases at the end of the show.

And it looks like we have an audience member that got it exactly right! We don't have cash for you, but feel free to bask in the warm fuzzies.

Our final item up for bid is coming up right after this. Don't go away!

(Final IUFB will be posted tomorrow morning at 3PM EST/Noon PST.)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2020, 08:24:06 AM »
Well that was surprising. Especially since I've bought those before and they were something like $3. I remember since I thought they were so cheap for being real gold, until I learned how much gold is actually in it.

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
Well that was surprising. Especially since I've bought those before and they were something like $3. I remember since I thought they were so cheap for being real gold, until I learned how much gold is actually in it.

They're $7.69 if you want to pick up a set for game night or as a conversation piece.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
Welcome back! Last call for a winner! The audience is ready, the prices are ready, and AnnouncerTron is ready! Why don't you tell us what we're bidding on?

*a swing version of When the Saints go Marching In is heard*

It's an ambulatory go-kart!

Send your kids off the beaten track with this jeep-style semi-automatic Go Kart! Featuring a 107cc, air cooled, 4-stroke, single-cylinder engine, this little baby will get you on unproven terrain or up a sand dune with a little luck. Designed for bodies 5' and smaller, so... probably shouldn't let your kids out of your sight with this. We cannot be held responsible for any injuries.

And we're down to our final round of bidding. As you all know, the nearest without going over wins it. Raises must be $20 over the top bid, frozen bids get a $20 cushion, underbidding allowed on a player's first bid only.

Best of luck! Bidding closes at 3PM EST/Noon PST on Sunday, July 26.

*in lieu of traditional think music, the band plays a brass version of Take on Me*
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:18:42 PM by gamesurf »

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
$999 and freeze.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »
Looks like those cards were are steal, wow.

I'll raise to $1030 please.