Author Topic: Tom Bergeron departs "Dancing With The Stars"  (Read 697 times)

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Tom Bergeron departs "Dancing With The Stars"
« on: July 13, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »
Via Tom's Twitter:

"Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?"

Interesting. Tom was one of my favourite parts of the show. He was the glue that held it all together. But maybe ABC felt like it was time to freshen things up a bit. I'm assuming the ratings aren't as high as they once were. Plus there was a little bit of friction with Tom and the network over the inclusion of Sean Spicer in last season's cast. Nonetheless, I'm sad to see him go. Although, it's going to be quite a while before we see the show come back anyway.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: Tom Bergeron departs "Dancing With The Stars"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »
Good. Maybe Tom can host a true game show again. He was truly missed.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »
Tom's book a few years ago (a great read, if you ever see it at a library) made it clear that his absolute passion is live TV, and it showed. It absolutely sucks for him that he was let go. It sounds like he just lost his dream job.

Curious to see what they do with the "creative reimagining". A huge part of the DWTS job is being able to help cover up for awkward or unplanned moments on live TV. It's not a role you can just throw in some comedian or actor and hope everything goes well. It's a role that needs a trained broadcaster.

I'm not sure if Tom would be interested in doing a taped studio game show again, but he would absolutely shine if that's what he wanted to do.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Health Insurance In A Nutshell
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
Calling it now, Alfonso Ribeiro will be the new host.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 11:20:44 PM »
Calling it now, Alfonso Ribeiro will be the new host.

Sorry, but my money's on Bobby Bones.

/really, though, Alfonzo probably would do good on there
//but replacing Tom a *second* time????
Everybody got to deviate from the norm.....

Offline jude_este

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 11:50:52 PM »
And Variety has confirmed the new host of Dancing With The Stars, it is America's Next Top Model's Tyra Banks though there is no mention in the article on who will be her co host or if she will be hosting the show solo.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/tyra-banks-dancing-with-the-stars-host-1234706665/

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »
And Variety has confirmed the new host of Dancing With The Stars, it is America's Next Top Model's Tyra Banks though there is no mention in the article on who will be her co host or if she will be hosting the show solo.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/tyra-banks-dancing-with-the-stars-host-1234706665/

She’s working solo, says AP.
Everybody got to deviate from the norm.....

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 10:23:13 PM »
She’s working solo, says AP.

Totally makes sense.  When DWTS booted Erin Andrews, upon the news of Tyra being the new host, I knew they weren't going to refill EA's position.  Kinda guessed when she was let go.

While Dancing With The Stars may have become stale over time, I was a little surprised upon hearing the news that he was out as the host.  I probably wouldn't necessarily call him the face of the show, like for Survivor with Jeff Probst, or Ryan Seacrest with American Idol, but given the success of competitive reality over the past 2 decades, it's rather rare to replace the host.

If this was his dream job, that does suck.  However, I'm pretty sure he'll find something; maybe he can start his own thing.  In a year or two, however.  Erin is the lead reporter for the NFL on Fox, so I'd bet that she wouldn't notice the lack of money coming in from Dancing with the Stars
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »
given the success of competitive reality over the past 2 decades, it's rather rare to replace the host.
America's Got Talent sends its regards.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 12:41:58 AM »
America's Got Talent sends its regards.

The difference between AGT & DWTS (amongst others) is that the former made several changes early in its history (that includes going from Regis to Jerry to Cannon within 5 years).  Not to mention the somewhat revolving door with the judges.  Tom had been apart of the show for about a decade an a half, which includes nearly 30 seasons.  While not a shocker, stability works more than not.  I can't picture Survivor with Probst, The Amazing Race without Phil, even the voice without Carson Daly, and finally American Idol without Ryan Seacrest.  Actually, I learned a while back that Survivor will end when Jeff leaves.  No replacement (per Burnett)

The similarity between America's Got Talent and Dancing With The Stars is that both are shows that don't really depend on the host, and where the casual viewer's focus would be geared more toward the stars, or the contestants with his/her/their talents
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck