Author Topic: Review the Drew Carey Era Pricing Game Renovations/Remodels  (Read 4169 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Review the Drew Carey Era Pricing Game Renovations/Remodels
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »
I always, or often thought the original Side By Side set was more 80s than 90s.  It's just me; though it surfaced in the middle of the 90s, if I recall correctly, I think Saved By The Bell was the first thing that came to mind upon its debut ("the Max").  I'm okay with the second set.  SBS is too quick of a game for it to be a big issue for me

Bargain Game's update sucks.  I expected better given its hiatus; agree for the low-budget nature.   Looks like it was put together within a half-hour before the taping
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 01:04:07 AM »
I would say Any Number is one of the better ones, because of the fact of the used number board being added.

I also like the used number board, but I think it would be better if the used numbers were replaced by a blank slot instead of being lined out.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 01:40:18 AM »
I also like the used number board, but I think it would be better if the used numbers were replaced by a blank slot instead of being lined out.

I could see that......that'd be very much akin to the aforementioned Bullseye 1 number board/line.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
For me, 10 Chances & Bargain Game are the worst in terms of the Drew Carey set changes.  I can respect 10 Chances, but not Bargain Game.  For Any Number, it’s between neutral & loving it.  Same with Bonus Game and Double Prices.  Speaking of Bonus Game, when it was rumored that they were going to update the prop, I thought it was going to be updated, my fear was similar to one I had in/around Season 27 (and one that occurred for Clock Game).  That was a major revamp to go away from the classic look.  Instead, it was a nice touch up.  Miss the blue windows as mentioned, but I think the removal was worth it.

Speaking of Clock Game, I’m okay with it because it wasn’t too drastic, and it fits with the current era.

My favorites outright are, well, it’s a tie with 3 Strikes, Master Key, Card Game, and Temptation.  Love those!  If I had to pick, I’ve gotta go with Card Game.  As first I missed the old card reveal where I had to guess if it’s Card Game or Temptation, but instead, maybe it’s Money Game, or not when the car is driven out to the Card Game set.  Much more colorful and more Vegas than the old sets.  Makes me wonder what they would’ve done with Poker Game & Hit Me had those both stuck around.  Speaking of Temptation, not much to add other than when a change is made for the sake of change, it sucks.  The price display is the only thing missed for me, but a nice upgrade.  3 Strikes & Master Key are perfect.  The only downer is that it meant the originals were no more.  That’s it.

Everything else, including Side by Side, are neutral
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 11:23:03 PM »
I love pretty much all of the refurbishments/redesigns.  The ones I like the most compared to their previous sets are, in rough order: Most Expensive, 10 Chances, Temptation, Bullseye, Bargain Game, 3 Strikes, Any Number.   Those games all looked dated with their previous designs and their current designs look so much nicer in HD.

Side By Side is a strange one as I love the new set in its own right, but the original that it replaced was one of my favourite sets of any game.

Punch-A-Bunch and Step Up had the best new paint jobs.  In general I've liked the move away from pastel colours.

If I had to choose least favourite, I'd go with Bonus Game (I don't mind the monitor display, but the redesign was underwhelming considering how long the game disappeared for) and Clock Game (the sleek clock interface is amazing but is spoiled by the gaudy translucent stopwatch shape and lazy use of a a monitor for the game's name).

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 11:50:43 PM »
My favorite refurbished game is Side By Side. I like the classic Holiday Inn look. I do miss the 'Sorry' though.

Probably my least favorite is Clock Game. The simpler design was more appealing to me.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."