Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite TPIR themed shows  (Read 1844 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Favorite and least favorite TPIR themed shows
« on: July 18, 2020, 12:57:47 AM »
Note: Please do NOT use this thread to complain that about there being too many themed shows. This is about which ones you do and don't like.

FAVORITES:

Dream Car Week: To me, this is the ultimate treat. Whether the dream cars are won or not, just getting to see them is a treat. When a dream car IS won, it's the ultimate thrill. Interestingly enough, the most satisfying dream car win wasn't even during Dream Car Week. It was Sheree's Audi win on Gas Money on the 2013 year in review show.

Big Money Week: Obviously big money wins are always exciting, but Big Money Week also offered some unique gameplay. I particularly liked seeing Cliffhangers played for $250000 with the "the better you play the game, the more you win," concept.

Super Bowl: As a pretty hardcore NFL fan, this is right up my alley. The Super Bowl special they did last time CBS had the Super Bowl (The Pats-Rams one) where everyone rocked their NFL gear was awesome.

Halloween: Halloween offers a lot of potential and different options for a show like The Price is Right. I loved the loved overall Halloween from 2013 with the Jack O Lantern displays on the contestant's row podiums, the coffin showcase podiums, the music, and the renamed games like Bat Race on Witch? with the witch symbols in the circles and the bats on top of the rats. In fact, I highly recommend this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJLNd0nzaQ

Christmas: It would be super cool to see the set decorations and such and the years when they would offer a Christmas tree as a prize with an instrumental We Wish You a Merry Christmas or whatever playing in the background were awesome. I always got great satisfaction out of the times they'd offer a Christmas tree as a prize.

Decades week: An interesting idea to show the progression of the show over time.

NOT A FAN:

Valentine's Day or other lovebirds type specials: Just not a fan of the romance genre.

ANY playing in pairs shows. Obviously Price was always designed as a one player game: the contestant himself or herself vs the game. Playing in pairs/groups isn't what The Price is Right is supposed to be. But for me, as a loner in real life, I just don't relate to/connect with the idea of being part of a "pair" or "group". Even as a kid, I always preferred game shows where contestants played by themselves such as Scrabble and Classic Concentration whereas I could never get into shows that were played as pairs or groups such as Supermarket Sweep and Win, Lose, or Draw. I simply relate to the idea of playing by one's self for one's self and always have.

The all Plinko show: Apart from not being a Plinko fan, one of the greatest strengths of The Price is Right is its game variety and we certainly didn't get that on the all Plinko show. Even for a game I really liked playing the same game 6 consecutive times on one show would NOT be an idea a would support. 

Social Media Week: To blunt about it, the tweets and what not scrolling across the bottom of the screen were very busy and distracting. 

Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Favorite and least favorite TPIR themed shows
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 01:06:01 AM »
Decades week: An interesting idea to show the progression of the show over time.

The one thing I still wish they did, was to split screen Bob and Drew's era for the 2000's. It kinda did that time a disservice to not include Bob's part of it, which was actually most of it since he retired in 2007. And it's even odder since they had the blue doors heavy logo used as the graphic in back of studio for that day. I don't get to this day why they didn't incorporate both periods from that decade.

(BTW, this should go into Talk is Right I think, being Price related)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »
I despise the College Rivals shows with a passion. Having a reason to actively route against a contestant is just sooooo against what makes TPiR a great show in the first place.

I also disliked the All-Plinko episode for previously stated reasons. While Plinko is still beloved by casual fans I believe this episode hurt Plinko's reputation overall.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
Favorites: Halloween- Most of the Halloween episodes since Drew began have been awesome. A couple duds (the 70s episode especially) but in general they've been excellent (especially season 36 and 37 and the Price Force episode)
April Fool's Day- These have been great as well in the Drew era. Kathy Kinney guest starring in seasons 36 and 37 was fun, although her naming everyone Drew was excessive. Bob coming back to host the first segment in 2015 was incredible.
Decades Week- A really fun look back at each decade with the attire, set changes, and playing games that debuted in each decade (except for Card Game being used in the 2010s show, though it was understandable because of the new set)
Pet Adoption Week- These have been fun, it's a nice nod to the Bob era.
The Earth Day theme shows were nice too, also enjoy the Breast Cancer Awareness shows.

Least Favorites: Valentine's Day and any other couples episodes- Having two or more players just doesn't really work. I especially disliked the games where they played for two cars and the contestants had to price the combined totals.
All Plinko show- This ended up just being pretty dull and it was just really strange having the same game played for the whole episode.
Publisher's Clearing House week- Just a lame gimmick.
Bad Moms episode- Just awful.

Others: Big Money and Dream Car Week- I can take it or leave it. They're gimmicks and manufactured moments and lead to some episodes with overly repetitive feeling lineups, but I like them more since they started having the prizes be more equal in the episode with one still larger rather than the one large prize with the other games being totally normal. And as mentioned, some of the modifications like how they redid Cliff Hangers for $250,000 and the windmill in Hole in One are pretty interesting.
Celebrity and Music Week- Depends on which celebrity appears. The Snoop Dogg episode was great, he really helped carry things.
Kids Week- I like them, but the kids do distract from the game play.
Let's Make a Deal Mashup- Like it as long as the game used is actually made into a legit pricing game.
U Decide Week- It was pretty interesting, but some choices that won definitely weren't good ones.
Socially Awesome Week- Another one I can take or leave, the multi-camera backstage look was fun and the Throwback Thursday episode was nice.
College Rivals- I actually don't hate it, for one episode it's not bad.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 03:39:54 PM »
April Fool's Day- These have been great as well in the Drew era. Kathy Kinney guest starring in seasons 36 and 37 was fun, although her naming everyone Drew was excessive. Bob coming back to host the first segment in 2015 was incredible.

Pat actually is what she named everyone. That episode really could been done better IMO. I also wish they woulda somehow let contestants tell their real names at some point.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 03:45:24 PM »
Pat actually is what she named everyone. That episode really could been done better IMO. I also wish they woulda somehow let contestants tell their real names at some point.

I could never understand how the contestants who selected were supposed to know it was them who was supposed to come on down when everyone was just called Pat and all the announcements were just "Pat, come on down!"
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
I could never understand how the contestants who selected were supposed to know it was them who was supposed to come on down when everyone was just called Pat and all the announcements were just "Pat, come on down!"

I'm sure they had their real names on cards that were held up in studio. They always use them during the opening as it is due to the audience noise making it hard to hear, so I assume that woulda been just extended to the other 5 call downs as well after it. There wouldn't be any other way you could do it I don't think.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
Scott can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd assume they had a cue card out of camera range with the real name on it.

EDIT: What pricefan18 said ^

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »
Oh yes, it was Pat not Drew. My bad.

I believe each contestant's name is also written on cue cards, so I'm guessing their real names were written on the card and that's how they knew who it was.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the 4th of July and Beach Party shows. That, and the Big Money and Dream Car Weeks. :D

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 11:02:58 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the 4th of July and Beach Party shows. That, and the Big Money and Dream Car Weeks. :D

Ditto.  I may not be a fan of how a special show counts toward the record for all-time winnings, I've moved on from that.  For the most part at least.  However, I grew up loving big wins in cash and prizes (car wins or big wins before a big win in the showcase).  Therefore you can never have too many Big Money & Dream Car Specials.

Independence Day specials, and even Back To School specials give us new content during the summer.  I guess if one grew up watching TPIR, the younger you were the more you thought you were watching new content in the summer months
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • That's Too Much...my favorite!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
My favorites are definitely Big Money and Dream Car week.

College Rivals and the PCH shows leave me cold.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 11:28:17 PM »
Totally agree with Dream Car Week and Big Money Week which are my favorite of my favorites :)

I'm indifferent to college rivals shows. For me, those are just kind of "there". While I'm not a fan of this theme and don't look foward to these episodes, I don't mind them either. I've never been able to put my finger on why college rivals is a theme that is so widely disliked.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 11:51:42 PM »
Totally agree with Dream Car Week and Big Money Week which are my favorite of my favorites :)

I'm indifferent to college rivals shows. For me, those are just kind of "there". While I'm not a fan of this theme and don't look foward to these episodes, I don't mind them either. I've never been able to put my finger on why college rivals is a theme that is so widely disliked.

I think we share the same opinion.  I can see how people are turned off from the College Rivals week.  It isn't Price Is Right when you're motivated to root against someone else.  I can understand that from Alfonzo.  However if I'm a contestant, I'd be there to win.  That would mean having my opponent or opponents lose (or me just defeating them).  As a home viewer, it depends, but it's mainly seeing someone win.  At the end of the day, I watch for a good show and hope everyone wins (Perfect Shows are the best shows), though there can be one winner.

If they never did College Rivals again I'd be cool with that.  Really thought it was smart to do those around Thanksgiving after doing so during the NCAA Tournament.  That's mainly due to the annual Rivalry Week that occurs around that time for college football
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 12:20:27 AM »
Like:
* Dream Car Week, when done well. Sadly, this past season's was not done well.
* Big Money Week, again when done well. This year's format of the progressive jackpot was fun to watch as a viewer.
* Super Bowl Special. It's really impressive when you consider they have 11 days between the taping and airing of that show.

Don't care about:
* Any show involving a celebrity, as long as that celebrity isn't featured very much. A good example is this week's Pet Adoption reruns.
* Music week. I don't know most of the acts they feature and the acts don't get a ton of airtime to help me get familiar with them.

Don't like:
* Any show involving a celebrity, where that celebrity is featured heavily. Primetime specials tend to fall in this category. I watch TPiR because I like seeing normal people win cool stuff, not to see Snoop Dogg, David Boreanaz, RuPaul, or any other celebrity who already gets enough camera time in other contexts.
* TPiR/LMaD mashup week. The games brought over from LMaD aren't compelling, and an LFaT who has been waiting their whole life to be on the show to play a classic pricing game has their dream ruined for at least 10 years when they're stuck playing Car Pong.

Despise:
* College Rivals. Yuk yuk yuk. Imagine being the 3rd contestant on the first IUFB, making a very good but not perfect bid, getting 1 upped by contestant #4, and you being forced back to your seat without another chance to be on the show for 10 years. It's so against the fabric of the show.

Oh yes, it was Pat not Drew. My bad.
I believe each contestant's name is also written on cue cards, so I'm guessing their real names were written on the card and that's how they knew who it was.

That is true even for a regular show--all contestant names are written on cue cards that are revealed when George calls them down. For that AFD show, though, I hope they put a cue card on both sides of the stage. Normally, there's only one and it's between George's podium and door #3, which is hard if not impossible to see for anyone sitting in the right side of the audience.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:27:50 AM by LiteBulb88 »