Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite TPIR themed shows  (Read 1845 times)

Online Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: Favorite and least favorite TPIR themed shows
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 12:52:02 AM »
My favorites are Dream Car, Big Money, Halloween and April Fool's Day.

I wish they'd do away with College Rivals because of the rivalry aspect, in that if you lose an IUFB against a rival fan, then you can't bid again, which adds to the pain of having to wait 10 years for another shot at being a contestant.

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 05:42:34 AM »
My favorites are Dream Car, Big Money, Halloween and April Fool's Day.

I wish they'd do away with College Rivals because of the rivalry aspect, in that if you lose an IUFB against a rival fan, then you can't bid again, which adds to the pain of having to wait 10 years for another shot at being a contestant.

I think a good workaround for that would be that if you lose the one bid in that particular show, that 10 year ban is lifted. Since it's a unique show relative to all the others, I think that's only fair to do things that way.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 10:18:32 AM »
I think a good workaround for that would be that if you lose the one bid in that particular show, that 10 year ban is lifted. Since it's a unique show relative to all the others, I think that's only fair to do things that way.

Despite what I said about the College Rivals Week, this I totally agree with.  That 10-year ban should not be there.  The format is what it is, and lifeís not fair.  I guess thatís what TPTB could say about a contestant losing his or her eligibility.  I would do everything in my power to make sure Iím never called to come on down, though I think Iíd become ineligible if I were in the bathroom and then left the studio if George called my name down!

I wonder if thereís a reason beyond their control that prevents them from changing their eligibility.  I admit it does suck if youíre in a spot where youíre forced into a spot after someone else thatís called down, and that person bids perfectly before you even get a chance to bid.  Or, as was the case in one of the first (if not the first) special, you get one-upped.  I probably would forgo the regular rules of eligibility if they bring this back in Season 49 and beyond
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 02:11:49 AM »
I personally love Dream Car Week and Big Money Week.  The latter initially bothered me because of the idea of increasing the top prizes in cash games temporarily, but over the years, they've essentially become a set of $1,000,000 Spectaculars on the daytime show.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Booksie page
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
I've not much to dislike, but I'll share the themes I like and dislike.

FAVORITES:

* Million Dollar Spectaculars - It was awesome to see the steaks raised in these primetime shows, especially to give people the opportunity of a lifetime to change their lives in one short evening. Kudos to Adam, Cynthia and Michael who were fortunate enough to have accomplished this feat.

* Big Money Week - same reasons as the Million Dollar Spectaculars, though I like how some games that would normally be played for cars (i.e., Rat Race, Cliff Hangers) can now be played for substantial cash prizes with a catch along the way to provide the right balance of challenge and fun.

* Dream Car Week - it's interesting on these shows because it gives contestants the opportunity to win exotic cars that you would never expect The Price is Right to give away (i.e., Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins, etc.). I also like how, at one point, a car could potentially be an IUFB; not something we see every day, but a brilliant idea in moderation.

* Team episodes - This depends on the theme of the episode, though. For instance, I like the Valentine's day episodes for bringing the unity of couples onto the stage, because it shows that when the pairs work together as one, everyone is a winner.

* The All-Plinko episode - while this might not be everyone's favorite opinion, however, I thought it was rather interesting to dedicate a whole show to Plinko, because it gives the Plinko-hopefuls a guaranteed opportunity to play the very specific game they longed to play, provided that he/she can win their way out of contestants' row.

* The Prize League Halloween episode - I wasn't all too fond of the Halloween episodes, but this episode, in particular, was the best episode I ever saw, by using a Justice League motif to ensure contestants won their prizes...now THAT'S amazing in it's own way.

DISLIKE:

* Celebrity-themed episodes - Don't get me wrong, I love the ideas of celebrities playing for a good cause...but with the fandom in an uproar concerning some celebrities playing for questionable and/or political charities (such as in the previous primetime special), these shows have begun to leave a very foul taste in my mouth that I'd rather skip the show for the night. Not ranting or whining, just telling the truth.

* College Rivals - I have to quote two users on this, because I agree with them about it...
Having a reason to actively route against a contestant is just sooooo against what makes TPiR a great show in the first place.

Imagine being the 3rd contestant on the first IUFB, making a very good but not perfect bid, getting 1 upped by contestant #4, and you being forced back to your seat without another chance to be on the show for 10 years. It's so against the fabric of the show.

Woah... Yeah, that is definitely an awful formula for a themed show. Something without that kind of rule would be more fair, because it makes it sound like everyone getting into Contestants' Row is like the last person called on down before the second SCSD... Just awful...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »
For me, I love the Big Money Week, Dream Car, Halloween, April Fools, MDS, and the team episodes. I agree; College Rivals I would rather skip and flip over to maybe Comedy Central.
ďTake your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.Ē - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 12:24:01 AM »
* The All-Plinko episode - while this might not be everyone's favorite opinion, however, I thought it was rather interesting to dedicate a whole show to Plinko, because it gives the Plinko-hopefuls a guaranteed opportunity to play the very specific game they longed to play, provided that he/she can win their way out of contestants' row.

I'm in the camp of this being a bad idea.  I respect the all-Plinko episode, given the casual viewer labels this as the greatest pricing game of all time.  However, like a lot of things TPIR-related, it goes against what the show is.  There is a saying that everyone's game is someone's favorite.  Even though I'd rather play Money Game before One Right Price, I'll take what I can get over staying in contestants row.  Plus I get to spin the wheel with a 1 in 3 shot at the showcase for a ton of awesome stuff!

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »
Favorite: Dream Car Week

Least-Favorite: College Rivals

I also don't care for Kids Week. I do like the concept, but I can't watch it because I hate how they keep dubbing in that "kids shouting" stock sound effect that's in every cartoon.

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
Despite what I said about the College Rivals Week, this I totally agree with.  That 10-year ban should not be there.  The format is what it is, and lifeís not fair.  I guess thatís what TPTB could say about a contestant losing his or her eligibility.  I would do everything in my power to make sure Iím never called to come on down, though I think Iíd become ineligible if I were in the bathroom and then left the studio if George called my name down!

I wonder if thereís a reason beyond their control that prevents them from changing their eligibility.  I admit it does suck if youíre in a spot where youíre forced into a spot after someone else thatís called down, and that person bids perfectly before you even get a chance to bid.  Or, as was the case in one of the first (if not the first) special, you get one-upped.  I probably would forgo the regular rules of eligibility if they bring this back in Season 49 and beyond

The College Rivals contestants themselves don't seem to care. They simply wanted to be on TV, rep their university, and maybe win a nice prize. They definitely don't seem to be the type who want to try to visit the show every year or every 2-3 years.

It's mean-spirited, but not only are they willingly signing up for it, they're willingly traveling across the country to be there on that exact date.  As a viewer, I'm not a big fan of the format either, but I can't really say I feel a ton of sympathy for the contestants who get sent back.

There's hundreds of other tape dates those students can attend if the mean-spiritedness puts them off. They want to rep their university on TV and take a chance at "owning their rival", fine. They have their reward.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 04:35:34 AM »
The College Rivals contestants themselves don't seem to care. They simply wanted to be on TV, rep their university, and maybe win a nice prize. They definitely don't seem to be the type who want to try to visit the show every year or every 2-3 years.

It's mean-spirited, but not only are they willingly signing up for it, they're willingly traveling across the country to be there on that exact date.  As a viewer, I'm not a big fan of the format either, but I can't really say I feel a ton of sympathy for the contestants who get sent back.

There's hundreds of other tape dates those students can attend if the mean-spiritedness puts them off. They want to rep their university on TV and take a chance at "owning their rival", fine. They have their reward.

Assuming that the contestants at such tapings also know of the specific theme/tape date in advance this same logic applies to the TPIR/LMAD Mash Up Week. Don't want to play an LMAD game? Choose a different tape date.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 10:26:43 AM »
Most theme week tapings are NOT announced in advance; contestants don't know about them until they're inside the studio and it's pretty much too late to declare yourself ineligible or unwilling to be on the show. I suspect this is to keep people from trying to "target" Dream Car Week or Big Money Week. College rivals might be an exception to this, as they need people who went to or at least root for specific colleges.

Offline ooboh

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
My favorite weeks are Dream Car Week and Big Money Week. I miss the $1,000,000 Spectaculars, but I think the former two are worthy successors.

Iím a college student, so this might come as a surprise to many, but I absolutely hate the College Rivals episodes. Actually, thatís putting it lightly. It absolutely SUCKS. The mean-spirited concept of sending your rival back to your seat just doesnít fit a lighthearted show like Price (it would work a lot better on cutthroat games like Press Your Luck or Russian Roulette).

Additionally, Iím indifferent (leaning towards no) on Halloween specials where the staff dresses in a common theme.