Author Topic: Future theme shows/weeks you'd like to see  (Read 2146 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Future theme shows/weeks you'd like to see
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »
What did you win in both instances on the contests? And I love the retired games idea, I can totally see them doing that. That's a brilliant idea.

The AFD contest was a trip to Costa Rica. I thought about taking it, but some things dissuaded me from going.

The other contest was their Tweet for a Seat contest. Best submission of how you'd "come on down" won. Here's mine. There were two winners. The prize was a trip to the show (1 night stay at The Farmer's Daughter) with the guarantee that one of the winners would be called down. At the time, I had *always* wanted to see the show in person, and I had never even traveled any further west that West Virginia inside the continental US. Unfortunately, I lost, but between being able to stay right across from the studio, meet up with some family that lived in LA, and get an impromptu backstage tour of such a historic place for a tv nerd like me was more than I could've ever dreamed of.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
Guess that shows how memorable this was. They did this back in 2016. I actually won it, much to my surprise. I ended up declining the prize, but I ended up winning a different contest from Price a year later for a far more enjoyable prize, in my opinion.
Oh wow yeah, totally forgot about that show. So do it again then  :P Congrats on winning the contest!

As for recreating a lineup from a notable show, maybe it's something they'd do for season 50 to recognize things like the first permanent hour long show, Drew's first show (whether it's his actual first taped show or the first aired), milestone shows, etc.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:45:29 PM by JayC »

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 05:50:51 AM »
Oh wow yeah, totally forgot about that show. So do it again then  :P Congrats on winning the contest!

As for recreating a lineup from a notable show, maybe it's something they'd do for season 50 to recognize things like the first permanent hour long show, Drew's first show (whether it's his actual first taped show or the first aired), milestone shows, etc.

What about various Season Premieres to open the season? I could see that. I'd look at it as something like what Decade's Week was, going in increments of 10. You would do the 10th season premiere on Monday, 20th on Tuesday, 30th Wednesday, 40th Thursday and then for Season 50 itself on the Friday, a show that featured only games that premiered in the last decade, with one new game thrown into the mix also. I think that'd work really well. 

Offline TinoStar11

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 09:13:58 PM »
I would love to see a play at home Bingo week with pricing games as the squares. You get a bingo card from the show's site ( limit 1 per person ) that has 25 squares with pricing games ( free space in the middle would be the 1st game played that week ) You get a chance to win a prize. The number of entries to win that prize would be based on how many Bingos you make on your card.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 11:07:07 PM »
This is not exactly new, but a week of Play-Along shows would be nice. One game would be designated a Play-Along game (like it was in the 80s), and a home viewer would win the same prizes as the on-stage contestant if the game was won; if the contestant lost, the home viewer would get a free TPIR T-shirt.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 02:14:16 AM »
I would love to see a play at home Bingo week with pricing games as the squares. You get a bingo card from the show's site ( limit 1 per person ) that has 25 squares with pricing games ( free space in the middle would be the 1st game played that week ) You get a chance to win a prize. The number of entries to win that prize would be based on how many Bingos you make on your card.

So basically, you want them to give people GRECO cards.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline gsn93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 04:20:33 AM »
So basically, you want them to give people GRECO cards.

That's something I haven't heard in a long time.

A second chance episode feels like the only worthwhile gimmick the show has not done yet, so that's my pick.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 05:20:00 AM »
A second chance episode feels like the only worthwhile gimmick the show has not done yet, so that's my pick.

I could almost see that being an annual show, the best to not make it onstage from each season at the end of it. I can see that working quite easily.

Offline JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 06:06:57 AM »
I could almost see that being an annual show, the best to not make it onstage from each season at the end of it. I can see that working quite easily.

I don't really know but these type of shows can be a great season-ender. Contestants called on the last IUFB that were left on the row deserve another shot at it.
The price will always be right.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »
That's a tough one.  I would be okay with the ninth contestants that failed to make it out of contestants’ row getting a second chance if the show decided to do that.  However, why limit it to just that?  The eighth contestants (and to a lesser extent the seventh contestants) don’t have that much of a fair chance either!  Is it greater than the last person?  Sure it is, and while you could argue that the ninth contestant needs to get his or her price right to best avoid getting one-upped, it could happen to the eighth contestant, twice!  Or the eighth contestant gets one-upped, then the night contestant gets his or her price right the first time.

It’s not an easy decision, in my opinion.  I still hate it that those contestants have been held to the same guidelines that the first four and subsequent players are held to when their eligibility in future shows comes into play.

If the show were to do a so-called “second-chance” show, they might go with contestants that made it up on stage but lost in painful fashion.  Or even got wiped out, at which point, another chance would be an opportunity to redeem themselves
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• The rent has been paid
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2020, 09:13:44 AM »
A special with only contestants who were called on down ‘ninth’ would still see someone called down ninth.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? 🤔🧐

It would never happen, anyway.  The show would be calling too much attention to a non-issue that some may choose to exploit as indeed being an issue with the show.
We have found ourselves in the middle of a situation that is truly unprecedented.  Our favorite game show has taken unprecedented steps to get back on the air with new episodes in its 49th season.  Sure, it will look and feel a bit weird at first, but at the end of the day, it’s still the same show we all know and love.  And despite some of the rhetoric you may hear, whether it be on the news or here on this very board, this is most certainly not a “new” normal.  The ‘normal’ we loathe so deeply will return.  Might be next year.  Might be the year after.  Until then, appreciate this era of the show for what it is and look forward to the day when we have ~300 screaming fans packed inside the Bob Barker Studio at CBS in Hollywood once again — hopefully very soon.

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Booksie page
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
It seems that I might be in the minority on this, but I would love to see another Million Dollar Spectacular someday (which I understand won't be the case)... Nothing against Big Money Week, which I enjoy no doubt, but I seem to be yearning for more big money shows in primetime these days.

But inspite of that, it would be nice to see more themed shows for essential workers who worked hard during this awful pandemic, like honoring doctors, nurses, police, first responders, grocery workers, etc. That would be a treat, MDS or not, considering the 2002 primetime specials.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 07:45:08 AM »
A special with only contestants who were called on down ‘ninth’ would still see someone called down ninth.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? 🤔🧐

It would never happen, anyway.  The show would be calling too much attention to a non-issue that some may choose to exploit as indeed being an issue with the show.

I don't know how I didn't think of that!  Nevermind then! :D :lol: :oldlol:

I agree that it’s a no-go with this ninth contestant issue.  Similar to the College Rivals thing, it’s not fair but life’s not fair.  There is an argument you could make for College Rivals receiving a second chance, but with the 8th or 9th contestant thing, the staff would defend themselves saying that there have been tons of cases where those folks have gotten in and out of contestant’s row.  Several of them went on to win the Showcase.  That, and the argument that there have been several cases where one of the first four contestants failed to make it onto the stage.

Maybe in the future, the show will ease their restrictions on having to wait 10 years, but I don't think they need to.  After all, there was once a lifetime ban for anyone returning as a contestant no matter what

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »
I like the idea of a second chance show for contestants who didn't win their way on stage.

I think there should be one show exclusively for those who were originally called ninth and only had one shot at winning their way on stage.  As far as taking into account the fact that somebody will still be called last and have only one shot, once they decide who will get to be contestants*, instead of the producers determining the order, the names will be truly randomly selected, perhaps via a random number generator, or something as low-tech as pulling names out of a hat.

* Unless they only decide to invite nine former contestants and guarantee that all nine will be called at some point in the show.  Again, order of contestant selection would be totally random.
"Now folks, I want to thank you very, very much for inviting me into your homes for the last 50 years.  I am deeply grateful.  And please remember - help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered.  Goodbye, everybody!"
- Bob Barker signs off for the last time, June 15, 2007

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »
The big issue with the idea of a second chance show is that you either have to

A) pick the nine in advance (meaning the other 300 audience members go into it knowing they won't be picked, which IMO kills an essential part of the vibe that makes it The Price is Right),

B) find 300 (preferably memorable) former contestants that are willing to travel cross country for a 3% shot at getting picked again

B is definitely possible to do (the breast cancer/kids week/other themed specials prove this), but there's no guarantee that specific memorable former contestants will be able to make it, which kind of deflates the purpose of doing a show specifically highlighting former contestants.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."