Author Topic: Future theme shows/weeks you'd like to see  (Read 7080 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Future theme shows/weeks you'd like to see
« on: July 19, 2020, 12:22:11 PM »
Inspired by the thread about theme shows a couple days ago, what are some theme shows/weeks you would like to see done in the future? A few thoughts:

-Definitely a show or a whole week saluting first responders and frontline essential workers.

-An April Fools show or a whole week of shows on April Fool's week where there are several mistakes or things out of place throughout the show and viewers can submit the mistakes on the show's website and those who find all or most are entered to win a prize. Also, a show where games are played backwards (like starting Lucky $even from the last digit to the second, starting That's Too Much from the 10th price down to the first, Range Game from the top of the range to the bottom like they did on the New Year's episode).

-A Christmas week show that's an "Ugly Sweater party" show where they show older sets for games that were well...ugly on a monitor next to the game's current set during the playing.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Future theme shows/weeks you'd like to see
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
I think in the past 12 years, TPIR has covered just about everything I would've love to see as it relates to a themed show.  Going forward, I wouldn't mind seeing...

A show or a week of shows where the theme is shows featuring line-ups from a past show where something of significance occurred.  For example, the show where a women (that day's eventual winner) won 3 Strikes + for over $40,000 within her prize and then $11,000 in the showcase showdown.  That line-up included Clock Game, Grand Game, 3 Strikes +, Danger Prize, Check Game, and Five Prize Tags.

Maybe not the best example, but two other examples from that season and many others include Credit Card and other games that have been retired.

Speaking of which, a show that exclusively has every pricing game that has been retired.  Or a week of shows that feature a game or two that has been retired.  That may not ever happen; there are some games that don't need to return at all, but some that could surface one time only

Like the April Fools idea, JayC, and obviously the essential workers/first responders show/week of shows.  With the older sets for games, I'd love to see someone recreate the original set of certain pricing games for some of the pricing games for an April Fools episode.  At least most people in the studio audience won't get it, but some of the LFIT and I would!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline plinko2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 02:58:56 PM »
Second chance day: All the contestants were called to come on down before, but didn't get up on stage.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 03:23:35 PM »
Second chance day: All the contestants were called to come on down before, but didn't get up on stage.

Especially those called down last and immediately one-upped  :-P

They have the salute to firefighters and whatnot, how about a salute to doctors, nurses, paramedics, people in those kinds of professions.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 03:45:39 PM »
A show or a week of shows where the theme is shows featuring line-ups from a past show where something of significance occurred.  For example, the show where a women (that day's eventual winner) won 3 Strikes + for over $40,000 within her prize and then $11,000 in the showcase showdown.  That line-up included Clock Game, Grand Game, 3 Strikes +, Danger Prize, Check Game, and Five Prize Tags.

Maybe not the best example, but two other examples from that season and many others include Credit Card and other games that have been retired.

Speaking of which, a show that exclusively has every pricing game that has been retired.  Or a week of shows that feature a game or two that has been retired.  That may not ever happen; there are some games that don't need to return at all, but some that could surface one time only
I like the idea of the week of shows recreating lineups that had memorable moments, though they would more likely keep it to more recent episodes like George's treadmill slip, Manuela revealing the car price in Five Price Tags prematurely, etc and recent big win episodes.

I suppose they could do a week where at least one retired game an episode is played, there's some that they could just use a monitor or green screen to recreate. Others though like Superball they'd have to have an actual set and it's unlikely they'd make a new set just for only one use.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 08:41:17 PM »
I like the idea of the week of shows recreating lineups that had memorable moments, though they would more likely keep it to more recent episodes like George's treadmill slip, Manuela revealing the car price in Five Price Tags prematurely, etc and recent big win episodes.

I suppose they could do a week where at least one retired game an episode is played, there's some that they could just use a monitor or green screen to recreate. Others though like Superball they'd have to have an actual set and it's unlikely they'd make a new set just for only one use.

You're probably right in terms of the lineups.  It would be nice but tricky to navigate through Barker's run unless they limited it to Seasons 33-35.  And maybe even the first three seasons!  They're half-hour episodes, but I believe they reran the first episode's lineup a couple of times, if not once.  Add that to games that were created since 2008 and that would be fair enough.

Maybe if TPTB gave Bob Boden $3,000 to borrow the Superball set they wouldn't have to rebuild it.  That aside, I will admit it would be a waste of time to build a set of a retired game, unless there were plans to un-retire a pricing game.  Monitors would work, but man, it would be awesome to see an old pricing game live.  I'll pass on On The Nose and the Gallery Game, however
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »
Maybe if TPTB gave Bob Boden $3,000 to borrow the Superball set they wouldn't have to rebuild it.  That aside, I will admit it would be a waste of time to build a set of a retired game, unless there were plans to un-retire a pricing game.  Monitors would work, but man, it would be awesome to see an old pricing game live.  I'll pass on On The Nose and the Gallery Game, however

On the Nose could be workable with Soccer maybe, and be a good Seattle Sounders tie-in for Drew since he's a co-owner. It's about as simple as Hole in One is relatively.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 10:59:39 PM »

Possibly (should they ever want to do that), just temporarily rent a regular skee ball game (like from an arcade that is closed at the time of taping) and use that.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »
They brought Time i$ Møney back, why couldn't they do the same with Penny Ante? I bet they still have the mold for the giant pennies used for the game. But I'd rather have the same colour scheme of the game, but just modernized.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
Themes really need to be something people are going to easily recognize and understand. Lineups from a show where some random event happened years back are neither. Even if you show said event, the idea that you’re playing the same games is irrelevant.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
Themes really need to be something people are going to easily recognize and understand. Lineups from a show where some random event happened years back are neither. Even if you show said event, the idea that you’re playing the same games is irrelevant.

To be fair, it’s been done before.

Given that it hasn’t been done since, I’m doubting we’ll see it happen again.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
Understand, but that was under an umbrella of socially awesome (such as the name was). That really does change the dynamic given it was part of a bigger theme. Even playing all games from a given era is a different hook than “some random event happened so we’re going to play the same games.” Some things are just different.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »
-An April Fools show or a whole week of shows on April Fool's week where there are several mistakes or things out of place throughout the show and viewers can submit the mistakes on the show's website and those who find all or most are entered to win a prize.
Guess that shows how memorable this was. They did this back in 2016. I actually won it, much to my surprise. I ended up declining the prize, but I ended up winning a different contest from Price a year later for a far more enjoyable prize, in my opinion.

To be fair, it’s been done before.

Given that it hasn’t been done since, I’m doubting we’ll see it happen again.
I think it's certainly plausible for them to do it again if they end up doing another Socially Awesome Week or try something retro to celebrate the show's 50th Anniversary in the 2021-2022 season (or 2022-2023 if there ends up not being a 2020-2021 season). They're going to have plenty of time to plan something out.

I like the idea of bringing back a retired game, especially since Roger supposedly came close to doing that and they ended up doing that with Time is Money. Perhaps instead of rebuilding a bunch of different ones, they'd air a portion of a clip during the show across the week, directing viewers to go online to see full playings of the retired games and then vote on which one they'd like to see come back. The top two winners would then have their sets rebuilt and be reintroduced into the rotation.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
They would probably more than likely save those salutes for primetime specials.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 05:17:42 PM »
Guess that shows how memorable this was. They did this back in 2016. I actually won it, much to my surprise. I ended up declining the prize, but I ended up winning a different contest from Price a year later for a far more enjoyable prize, in my opinion.
I think it's certainly plausible for them to do it again if they end up doing another Socially Awesome Week or try something retro to celebrate the show's 50th Anniversary in the 2021-2022 season (or 2022-2023 if there ends up not being a 2020-2021 season). They're going to have plenty of time to plan something out.

I like the idea of bringing back a retired game, especially since Roger supposedly came close to doing that and they ended up doing that with Time is Money. Perhaps instead of rebuilding a bunch of different ones, they'd air a portion of a clip during the show across the week, directing viewers to go online to see full playings of the retired games and then vote on which one they'd like to see come back. The top two winners would then have their sets rebuilt and be reintroduced into the rotation.

What did you win in both instances on the contests? And I love the retired games idea, I can totally see them doing that. That's a brilliant idea.