Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Primetime Special  (Read 2012 times)

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
50th Anniversary Primetime Special
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:11:39 PM »
When the show reaches 50 years, along with probably more "The Price Is Right At Night" specials, could we probably see a 50th anniversary primetime special?

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: 50th Anniversary Primetime Special
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
There's a very good chance of that. But given that season 50 is at least 14 months away, and maybe longer depending on when season 49 can tape, it's very early to have any specifics.

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »
I obviously have no insider information, but I am very certain that we'll see at least one primetime show celebrating the 50th season, whenever that should happen.

Hell, with the success of the primetime shows this past season, I bet we'll get a couple in season 49 too.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 05:15:39 PM »
I obviously have no insider information, but I am very certain that we'll see at least one primetime show celebrating the 50th season, whenever that should happen.

Hell, with the success of the primetime shows this past season, I bet we'll get a couple in season 49 too.

There were some they were supposed to tape this year as it was, but could not no? I could see them being pushed to 49, whenever that begins if so.

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »
That is correct. Three were ordered, and only the one with Ru Paul was taped.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »
That is correct. Three were ordered, and only the one with Ru Paul was taped.

Was it known who the others were to have involved?

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 09:01:01 PM »
Nope, only that one was going to be with families of active duty soldiers.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 09:56:05 PM »
Nope, only that one was going to be with families of active duty soldiers.

As groups? Or solo?

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
That I honestly can't remember. I think it might have been groups, but unless someone has a copy of the archived OnCameraAudiences page, I can't be 100% sure.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 11:11:06 PM »
I'd be shocked if we didn't get a 50th Anniversary special.  I wouldn't be shocked if there were no primetime episodes honoring TPIR at 50, but as mentioned it's rather soon to know what'll happen.  5 months ago I would've bet on February 2022 as the tentative month for honoring it; maybe it'll be in September of 2022.  Probably not on 09/04/2022 as that is the Sunday before Labor Day
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 05:45:56 AM »
I'd be shocked if we didn't get a 50th Anniversary special.  I wouldn't be shocked if there were no primetime episodes honoring TPIR at 50, but as mentioned it's rather soon to know what'll happen.  5 months ago I would've bet on February 2022 as the tentative month for honoring it; maybe it'll be in September of 2022.  Probably not on 09/04/2022 as that is the Sunday before Labor Day

Well, I mean they've done a special on a Sunday Night already recently.....so I could see them doing another, and it's not as if anyone is gonna have work or school the next day, so why not? Could set it up even a seque into either a special show the next day in daytime, or even a 50th anniversary week altogether if they wanted to go that route.

Offline SeaBreeze341

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
Well, I mean they've done a special on a Sunday Night already recently.....so I could see them doing another, and it's not as if anyone is gonna have work or school the next day, so why not? Could set it up even a seque into either a special show the next day in daytime, or even a 50th anniversary week altogether if they wanted to go that route.

The thing is that while a lot of people are off that Sunday, it is the last weekend of summer (albeit unofficially).  Therefore several people would turn to doing outdoor activities, or if you’re older, probably hit the bars or go out on the town.  Also, given that it’s a long weekend, people travel and would be doing so during the weekend.  In addition, similar to Memorial Day, it’s a popular time to throw in a wedding, and the events surrounding that could impact any TV viewing.

If there were to be a show on that Sunday, I personally would make time and clear up my schedule to watch it.  As is the case with Memorial Day, networks tend to avoid new content due the great chance of low viewership.  Fortunately, football is on Saturday, and the NFL no longer starts until after Labor Day, but I’d imagine CBS would want to hold off until after the holiday.  I could see them doing a special recap of the first 50 years on 09/04/2022, but just not a new episode

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »
At this point I too suspect we'll see something in September 2022.  Exactly what will remain to be seen. 

Offline wheelfan1991

• The answer is: what is Alex Trebek? Rest in Peace
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
Looking back, the 25th Anniversary Special aired on a Friday (August 23, 1996), and the 30th Anniversary Special aired on a Thursday (January 31, 2002). So they really have no rhyme or reason as to when they air and what day of the week. It's probably based on when CBS has time in their schedule for it.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline SeaBreeze341

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 04:00:23 PM »
That's true, but that was also done under different leadership.  The September 2022 spot mainly came up due to the fact that it's the actual 50th anniversary of when the show started, as opposed to starting around the start of the 50th year or during a sweeps period in a calendar year during the anniversary period.

Definitely not a fact that it'll be that period, just pure speculation.  It would be nice, but obviously it'll be if CBS can fit it in and where.  TPIR 50 is a big deal, but CBS still has to take into account other programming from other networks that might be popular (ratings-wise) at the time