Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Primetime Special  (Read 2013 times)

Online Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: 50th Anniversary Primetime Special
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
I'd definitely tune in for that! I'd imagine that each commercial break will begin and/or end with various clips from the Barker and Carey eras, in addition to the actual gameplay. Also, an all-gold TPIR logo would be the icing on the cake, as it would signify the importance of this anniversary.

Offline PricingPatrick

• Outside in Line
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 01:35:18 AM »
I think what they should do is a special one-off season in Primetime and feature every single game that has ever been played on the Price is Right. It would be similar to how NBC reran vintage SNL starting in their 40th year.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 07:25:42 AM »
Would these primetime episodes replace the Daytime episodes?  Or would it be in addition to daytime Price?  If itís the latter, PricingPatrick, Iím not sure if youíre suggesting that those primetime episodes be done as 30-minute episodes or full hour episodes.

I like the idea, but I think itís definitely not happening.  Too many legal issues as it relates to reviving all of the retired pricing games, especially for one year only.  As mentioned elsewhere, you could use a virtual format for some of them, but itíll be tough to rebuild a game where skill and movement from a contestant is required.  No way youíd see Bump or the Shower Game again!  Several of the others you could make an argument for, but I think just a past clip of those retired pricing games would be more than enough to pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of the show
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »
A variety of reasons those games are gone. Outside of some hardcore insider fans, there is no reason to go to the effort and expense of revisiting those. Itís just not good business. Let the past rest in the past.

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 06:51:28 PM »
I think what they should do is a special one-off season in Primetime and feature every single game that has ever been played on the Price is Right. It would be similar to how NBC reran vintage SNL starting in their 40th year.

The general public finds John Belushi and Eddie Murphy more charming and endearing than most retired games.

Five million people might tune in, but only a few hundred people would really care, and most of them are all already members of this site.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »
Would these primetime episodes replace the Daytime episodes?  Or would it be in addition to daytime Price?  If itís the latter, PricingPatrick, Iím not sure if youíre suggesting that those primetime episodes be done as 30-minute episodes or full hour episodes.

I like the idea, but I think itís definitely not happening.  Too many legal issues as it relates to reviving all of the retired pricing games, especially for one year only.  As mentioned elsewhere, you could use a virtual format for some of them, but itíll be tough to rebuild a game where skill and movement from a contestant is required.  No way youíd see Bump or the Shower Game again!  Several of the others you could make an argument for, but I think just a past clip of those retired pricing games would be more than enough to pay tribute to the 50th anniversary of the show

My first thought on this was their YouTube channel actually.....they could put clips up of every game (Barker and Carey playings both where applicable) throughout the season if they wanted to. That I could see working. Could even extend out to different rule sets and presentations too if they liked, showing the evolution of games over the years.