Author Topic: OBIT: Regis Philbin  (Read 5197 times)

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
OBIT: Regis Philbin
« on: July 25, 2020, 03:20:26 PM »
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: OBIT: Regis Philbin
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
Wow. That was, uh, unexpected. Rip Regis, thank you for your work on Live!, Millionaire and elsewhere.

Also 2020 sucks, even more so now.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
Yeah.  I totally didn't see that coming.  I was just on Twitter to get a media update as it relates to sports, some positive things, and not positive, like Peter Green's passing.  Then I saw Regis name trending.  Gave it 10% that he died, but assumed it was something he said, a flashback, Millionnaire's return, or another Regis.  Then post-refresh, the terrible news hit.

From Regis & Kathie to Millionnaire, and from Million Dollar Password to Crowd Goes Wild, just to name a few of his works, man, what a legend.  He'll be missed for sure.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
This guy was a broadcasting legend whose career spanned many decades. He made Millionaire must-watch TV. Rest well, Reege. Here's to you.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »
Dang.

Regis was a broadcasting pioneer in so many ways.

Plus, he's spent more hours in front of a television camera than any other human being, according to Hollywood Reporter.

Condolences to his family, we lost a legend.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 03:42:15 PM »
Rest in paradise to a broadcasting pioneer. And thank you, for all the memories from Live!, Millionaire, among several other programs I saw him in throughout the years.

And my condolences are also going out his family.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
Regis had a local talk show in San Diego back in the early 60s (KOGO, now KGTV). First time I'd heard of him was in 1975 when he hosted The Neighbors, a Carruthers game show for ABC. Little did anyone realize what was to come for him.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
Wow, certainly a shock to see and yet another negative for 2020. I didn't really watch Live with Regis and Kathie Lee/Kelly, but I definitely watched primetime Millionaire and his hosting was a big part of the show's magic. His hosting was also probably the best part of Million Dollar Password. A great talent and personality in other roles as well. RIP Regis and condolences to his family.

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
In 1967, Philbin was the sidekick/announcer on "The Joey Bishop Show" (ABC's unsuccessful attempt to compete with Johnny Carson).

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 04:44:12 PM »
I went to a taping of Who Wants to be a Millionaire when they brought it back in like 2009, during the filming whenever there was a break for commercials Regis had a flask he’d pull out and start drinking from. You could clearly see as the taping progressed he was getting more and more angry and belligerent with the contestants, it was the funniest thing.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
I remember all those times in the summer with my mom saying, "I'm going to watch Regis," or "We'll do that after Regis."  What a legend!

This will make the rerun of Regis' appearance on Celebrity Jeopardy! this coming week even more special, assuming that they are airing it this week.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Loved him on Millionaire. He certainly was a legend. RIP, Reege.

This will make the rerun of Regis' appearance on Celebrity Jeopardy! this coming week even more special, assuming that they are airing it this week.

They’re starting with the first Celebrity Jeopardy! which Regis was indeed a part of. I have a feeling they’ll add an “In Memoriam” somewhere.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »
Loved him on Millionaire. He certainly was a legend. RIP, Reege.

They’re starting with the first Celebrity Jeopardy! which Regis was indeed a part of. I have a feeling they’ll add an “In Memoriam” somewhere.

I wonder if Alex will do a special intro specifically to pay tribute to him ahead of it. I don't know how far ahead he's been shooting the cold opens, but I could see them trying to get a fresh one done that notes his passing given they got a little time if they have shot one already.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
I can't believe that he's gone!!!! What a blessing to the industry!!!!! I watched Regis on the 2 week events of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" in August and November of 1999, "Millionaire" as often as possible when it was a primetime series, "Live With Regis & Kelly", "Who Wants To Be A Super Millionaire", "America's Got Talent", "Million Dollar Password", and the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" 10th anniversary primetime specials. Will his runs of "Millionaire" be uploaded on YouTube in their entirety as they were aired on ABC? Thanks, Reege, for all of the laughter and fun and joy and great memories!!!!!!

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 07:42:11 PM »
I wonder if Alex will do a special intro specifically to pay tribute to him ahead of it. I don't know how far ahead he's been shooting the cold opens, but I could see them trying to get a fresh one done that notes his passing given they got a little time if they have shot one already.

They taped the intros for “From The Vaults” pricerules18. And as PatrickRox80 said I also hope that they could add an "In Memorium" to Monday’s classic episode in memory of Regis.