Author Topic: OBIT: Regis Philbin  (Read 1906 times)

Online Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: OBIT: Regis Philbin
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 08:38:32 PM »
Perhaps Kelly and Kathie Lee can interview each other and share their memories of working with the man. I loved the original run of WWTBAM on ABC, and the suspense that came with his catchphrase "Is that your final answer?"

R.I.P. Regis

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »
Loved him on Millionaire. He certainly was a legend. RIP, Reege.

They’re starting with the first Celebrity Jeopardy! which Regis was indeed a part of. I have a feeling they’ll add an “In Memoriam” somewhere.

Is there even time to change the episode? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that CBS Television Distribution sends the Saturday reruns and following Monday episodes of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! to stations on Fridays.

When Paul Walker died on a Saturday, the following Monday's Wheel of Fortune had THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS as a puzzle, and there was no extra clip or anything of Pat explaining that the episode was taped in advance, because there was no time.

First-run Jeopardy! airs as early as 10:30 AM Eastern/7:30 AM Pacific, so maybe if anything they'll have time to make a new edit for the West Coast. There was an episode of Wheel earlier this season where they forgot to add a SPIN ID drawing until the very last minute, so some stations aired it without a SPIN ID but others did air it with one, probably based on what stations were able to download the revised version in time to overwrite the version they received the day before or whenever.

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 08:41:25 PM »
I knew Regis Philbin best as the original host of the U.S. version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? He was great as the host of that show. I've also seen him on Million Dollar Password. With the trend these days for some TV shows to air old episodes from the past because of the Coronavirus pandemic, I'm curious if ABC will be reairing old episodes of WWTBAM as a way of honoring Regis Philbin?

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
Dang, this one hurts. When I was a kid I watched Regis and Kathie Lee every morning with my grandma. And then watched him all the time on WWTBAM.

A fantastic career. Utmost respect to him, and prayers for his family and friends.
2,938 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Congrats to the 2020 PBR World Champion, Jose Vitor Leme!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 09:42:19 PM »
When Paul Walker died on a Saturday, the following Monday's Wheel of Fortune had THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS as a puzzle, and there was no extra clip or anything of Pat explaining that the episode was taped in advance, because there was no time.

Man, I miss Paul Walker.  Definitively known for the F&F franchise, and before that She's The One & Varsity Blues.  Pretty big deal.  However, I'm not sure if it was enough to have warranted a mention.  It sucked that he died, but Paul wasn't a member of the staff or had legit history with the show.  If there was more time, then maybe.  I can't remember if Sajak made mention to that being the reason, whether it was valid or not.  If so, that's that.  Just a coincidence I guess.

I knew Regis Philbin best as the original host of the U.S. version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? He was great as the host of that show. I've also seen him on Million Dollar Password. With the trend these days for some TV shows to air old episodes from the past because of the Coronavirus pandemic, I'm curious if ABC will be reairing old episodes of WWTBAM as a way of honoring Regis Philbin?

Given the lack of programming, it would be a great idea.  Without a pandemic, I think it still happens, but probably on a Sunday in place of Family Feud, PYL, and Match Game
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 02:06:21 AM »
RIP Reege.  :cry:

Offline JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 03:47:21 AM »
The original Mr. Millionaire, RIP Regis Philbin.
The price will always be right.

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 04:08:18 AM »
The original Mr. Millionaire, RIP Regis Philbin.

Technically, internationally that moniker would go to Chris Tarrant actually, but on the US side for sure he definitely was.

Online pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 04:26:36 AM »
And speaking about Chris, as I posted that, I saw this interview he and Regis did together on Live! in 2000, courtesy of the WWTBAMClassics YouTube channel. I've been wanting to see this, or anything connecting the two in general in really for some time. Good stuff, and an interesting comment from Chris about a pilot Regis shot in England as well before it debuted here. That'd be something to see if any footage from it existed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9k_l4HxSME

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 06:29:31 AM »
Technically, internationally that moniker would go to Chris Tarrant actually, but on the US side for sure he definitely was.

Who?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 07:44:13 AM »
Who?
The host of the British version of WWTBAM. Or, I should say, original host, as I believe Jeremy Clarkson hosts it over there these days.

Offline JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 08:26:45 AM »
Jimmy Kimmel was fortunate enough to meet Regis during his hosting stint on the revival of WWTBAM. Regis was really in good shape and you wouldn't even think that he even left Millionaire over a decade ago!  :cry:
The price will always be right.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »
I have to think there's enough time to add some kind of in memorium onto tomorrow's Celebrity Jeopardy episode with Regis. Maybe not an entire new intro from Alex in place of the one already filmed, but perhaps they'll have Alex film a quick new piece or at least a voiceover.

ABC showing a few classic Millionaires in Regis' memory would be great too, especially with how they're spacing out the new episodes of the game shows this year. I could also just see them reairing the Millionaire documentary from before the Kimmel version premiered and the Fresh Off the Boat Millionaire episode though.

Offline BillyGr

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 01:41:33 PM »
Not sure if it was picked last minute due to this, or just happened that way, but the Vintage Saturday Night Live last night at 10pm was from 2003 and featured a sketch using the Regis & Kelly show (of course, not actually them).

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 09:21:54 AM »
There's a special edition of "20/20" tonight at 8:00 as a tribute to Regis. Surprised that they aren't showing any episodes of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire".