Author Topic: Could Celebrity Jeopardy make a comeback?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
Could Celebrity Jeopardy make a comeback?
« on: July 29, 2020, 06:44:35 PM »
Tge last time Celebrity Jeopardy aired was in 2010 with the invitational which Andy Richter won. I enjoyed watching people who I enjoy from movies and TV show their knowledge and play the game. Why did it end abruptly? Could it possibly make a comeback starting next season?

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: Could Celebrity Jeopardy make a comeback?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
First of all, Andy Richter did win not the invitational. He won his initial game (the same game where Wolf Blitzer bombed) but dropped out due to commitments with Conan.

Second, the last Celebrity Jeopardy (not counting Power Players week) was back in 2015, not 2010.

Third, I hope it doesn't return. It turns the game into a mockery, making it a pain to watch.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:06:23 PM »
First of all, Andy Richter did win not the invitational. He won his initial game (the same game where Wolf Blitzer bombed) but dropped out due to commitments with Conan.

Second, the last Celebrity Jeopardy (not counting Power Players week) was back in 2015, not 2010.

Third, I hope it doesn't return. It turns the game into a mockery, making it a pain to watch.

You know, Alex said in his intro for the first show (feat. Regis) this week, that they've done 115 Celebrity shows over the years. I was kinda shocked it wasn't more than that, it feels like it should be with how it became a yearly thing for quite some time after 1992.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »
I honestly think, especially with Mike Richards in charge now, that celebrity episodes have a better chance of coming back to Wheel of Fortune than Jeopardy! Wheel hasn't done celebrities at all since 2007.

But doesn't "Power Players" technically count as celebrity episodes?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:46 PM »
I do like the banter between the celebrities and Alex, but the slower pace of gameplay and the amount of clues typically left on the board is disappointing.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
I'd love to see Celebrity J! as ABC primetime specials like they did with the Greatest tournament, and with a lot of scripted series delayed, it wouldn't surprise me, especially if they could expand the show into an hour to allow for not only the board to be cleared, but some extra time with the stars/Alex. But if done once a season, I wouldn't mind since they were hardly run frequently enough to get a feeling of overkill like I got with Millionaire toward the end of the Regis era.

As far as Wheel goes, the new EP gives me some hope thanks to his work on Price, and that certainly would help boost the show's appeal if done properly and sparingly. Have a mix of celeb-only and teams episodes. With that, I wouldn't mind "surprise" celebrity appearances that were occasional in the late '90s like Howard Stern or Mr. Rogers. I'd even have special prizes where you could win tickets to an event with the featured star on the team episodes.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »
The Celebrity Jeopardy shows they’ve been airing this week are the best of the best ones they had, most of them were downright painful. They can go away, it’s fine.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »
The shows they've reaired this week shows just how enjoyable these shows can be with the right celebrities. Sure, many of the celebrity shows they've aired in the past have been downright painful to watch, but when you have celebrities that aren't completely dumb and can competently play the game, the end result is a very enjoyable blend of quiz show and comedy.

Is it something I want to see all the time? Hell no. But as a special week every now and then, with the right guests? Yeah, sure, it's good fun. No need to be super serious all the time.

Seriously, though, I've really enjoyed these "from the vault" episodes and wish it were longer than four weeks. They chose a great batch of shows to air, plus hearing the older cues and seeing Alex in his prime before his age caught up to him (not saying he's bad now, he's certainly not, but you can tell he had so much more energy back then) has only helped me realize why I love this show so much.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:29:57 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
Wayne had me cracking up last night!!!! Really smart, too!!! At the time it originally aired, Whose Line was in its third season and he was 7 months away from his variety show on ABC which after its last episode on March 11 2002 would change to a talk show of the same name that September and last for 2 years.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »
Wayne had me cracking up last night!!!! Really smart, too!!! At the time it originally aired, Whose Line was in its third season and he was 7 months away from his variety show on ABC which after its last episode on March 11 2002 would change to a talk show of the same name that September and last for 2 years.

I forgot he had a talk show.