Author Topic: 2020 NFL Season  (Read 44061 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
2020 NFL Season
« on: July 31, 2020, 11:28:50 PM »
The 101st season, which will mark 50 years since the NFL Merger, is slated to begin on Thursday, September 10, 2020 in Kansas City.  Currently, it is scheduled to conclude on Sunday, February 7, 2021 in Tampa.  For the 15th time since 2004, the season will begin with the defending champions hosting another opponent; this year features the Kansas City Chiefs vs the Houston Texans.  For the most part at least, the opening game features a rematch of a notable game from the previous season (if not a notable historic rivalry).  The home team/champs winning percentage is at least 80%.  Other games scheduled in Week One include 12 Sunday games on Fox and CBS including a CBS/Fox game of the week at 4:25, then the primetime slate with Sunday Night Football on NBC and the annual opening double-header on ESPN.

As of present time, everything is scheduled to start on time, but there is cause for concern given the number of opt-outs added to the mess that has occurred in Major League Baseball.  No secondary plans yet, or if there are, they haven't been disclosed to the public.

Pandemic aside, big news post Super Bowl 54 to present time includes this being the first year since the beginning of the Century & Millennium that Belichick and Brady are not on the same team.  The Raiders are now in Vegas, and the playoffs have expanded to 7 teams per conference.  That rewards the 7-best AFC or NFC team at the expense of the 2nd best AFC/NFC team
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: 2020 NFL Season
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 11:34:48 PM »
I like the 7 team per conference playoff format because it makes the 1 seed more important. In the past, with 2 1st round byes, there was actually a bigger difference between between being a 2 seed or a 3 seed than between being a 1 or a 2 seed. Only one 1st round bye per conference makes the 1 seed more important and that's a good thing.

I would expect more from the Buccaneers than the Patriots. I believe Vrady made Belichick in New England. Belichick wasn't all of that in Cleveland before Brady.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
Hopefully the season does indeed happen and there's not the kind of case outbreak we're seeing in the MLB that's causing several postponements. It will be interesting to see how the very atypical offseason effects teams and which teams are best set to work through it.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
I like the 7 team per conference playoff format because it makes the 1 seed more important. In the past, with 2 1st round byes, there was actually a bigger difference between between being a 2 seed or a 3 seed than between being a 1 or a 2 seed. Only one 1st round bye per conference makes the 1 seed more important and that's a good thing.

I would expect more from the Buccaneers than the Patriots. I believe Vrady made Belichick in New England. Belichick wasn't all of that in Cleveland before Brady.

It was probably time for playoff expansion, but I would've been okay if they had kept it as it was.  Now, if they go to 8, that would be fitting.  It would complete the unintentional move to eliminate teams with bye weeks (it actually used to be three teams until 1990).  However, it might be criticized unless the NFL can add more teams into its league (from 32 to 36).  In my opinion, there should be more teams soon, but it doesn't appear that way; it's been nearly 20 years.

I could go either way as it relates to Belichick and Brady.  Some people forget about Cleveland, or choose to disregard the fact that this is Bill's second stint as a head coach, not his first and only.  He did turn it around late with the Browns before the move to Baltimore.  The thing is Tom doesn't play defense, and Coach Belichick has had a ton of success as it relates to defense (in addition to his offensive inputs).  Too be fair to Bill, we've seen him succeed without Brady (in 2008), while we'll never know with Tom.  As in prime Brady.  Tom is great as what he does, but he does have his weaknesses that have cost him.  The good thing is that most of his opponents didn't have the skills or personnel to get to him.  Only a handful have (Ravens, Broncos, Giants).  Belichick's weaknesses can and have been addressed.

Tom Brady has helped Bill Belichick during those 20 years, but the coach has evolved into something else.  I doubt we'd see two decades of this dominance with Brady, but Bill would've had success regardless.  The guy was a mastermind as DC in New York

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
If everything's able to go on as scheduled, I think Kansas City has a reasonably good chance to repeat.  Baltimore, if they can maintain what they had going last year, has to be considered a strong contender as well.  In the NFC, San Francisco could well repeat too; I think Seattle has a good chance as well. 

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Hopefully the season does indeed happen and there's not the kind of case outbreak we're seeing in the MLB that's causing several postponements. It will be interesting to see how the very atypical offseason effects teams and which teams are best set to work through it.

A significant difference between MLB and the NFL is that the MLB fought during the pandemic over money, whereas the NFL fought during the pandemic over safely protocols.  Baseball was so focused on the CBA that they disregarded what was important.  During early testing the league dropped the ball, and now with the nonsense Miami pulled they've stopped at nothing to make sure their season sorta fails or doesn't happen.  The NFL will make sure an outbreak doesn't occur over carelessness.  If there is a setback through no faults then that's that.  However, if, say Cleveland has 2 or 3 dozen players test positive because they went to Atlanta to party, then the Browns would likely get punished to a point where they're kicked out for 2020.

I think the biggest concern is with the injuries that'll happen this year due to the lack of training and conditioning.  The thing that'll suck is if there's a major injury that trickles into 2021.  People will say that these athletes could have worked out on their own & that they should've known better.  The problem is that they couldn't this year, obviously.

If everything's able to go on as scheduled, I think Kansas City has a reasonably good chance to repeat.  Baltimore, if they can maintain what they had going last year, has to be considered a strong contender as well.  In the NFC, San Francisco could well repeat too; I think Seattle has a good chance as well. 

I do like Kansas City's chances.  They are respecting everything that's going on, and it looks like the pandemic won't stop them (unless the season is cancelled).  I think Baltimore might take them out, though I think it might occur if the Ravens are the underdog and/or road team.  The Niners should be okay, but I think Seattle could've knocked them off last year, except they literally punted to the 2020 season at Lambeau

Fixed maligned quoting.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:27:55 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »
I Chiefs in the AFC, maybe the Titans could be their biggest threat as Derrick Henry is the best Running Back in the NFL just like Patrick Mahomes is the best Quarterback.

It's a close call for the NFC between the 49ers and the Seahawks. Maybe adding a pro bowl player like Jamaal Adams puts the Seahawks over the 49ers? Also, the Seahawks clearly have the better quarterback as Wilson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Garoppolo.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
To paraphrase Johnny Carson: The Falcons will be going to the Super Bowl. They'll be in aisle 350, row 25, seats 1-30. (Unless the Coronavirus persists, then they'll be watching from section HD.)
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 09:49:39 PM »
Other possible contenders: 

-Buffalo has a chance to seize control of the AFC East should New England finally falter, as they appear poised for some kind of breakout and seem closer than Miami (who does seem to be getting there) to being a legitimate division champion 

-although Aaron Rodgers appear to be starting his decline, never count Green Bay out when he's under center 

-same with New Orleans with Drew Brees calling the shots 

-Philadelphia could be a dark horse contender if all goes right and they finally have better injury luck, and while Dallas' offense might have strong potency, I'd give the Eagles a slight edge for being a more complete team and a steadier coaching staff (and with Dallas having squandered their chance to get Prescott to a deal without having to pay the gross national product of a small country, Elliott arguably being overused, and the offensive line getting older, perhaps their window's only going to be open a little bit longer)

-and Pittsburgh always manages to contend to some degree each year, and may again be a surprise. 

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:28 PM »
Former Cardinal David Johnson, now playing for the Texans has scored the first touchdown of the season. Good on him, but as a Cardinals fan, I hope he doesn't prove to be "the one that got away."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 11:07:05 PM »
The Cardinals did get DeAndre Hopkins from the deal, so it's not like they gave away (injury prone) David Johnson for nothing.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 11:24:35 PM »
The Chiefs ultimately go on a 31-0 run after that 1st Texans touchdown and go on to win 34-20. The Chiefs looked like the AFC favorites that they are.

With Brady, Rodgers, and Gronkowski past their primes, Mahomes and Kelce are the best quarterback and tight end in the NFL right now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:27:39 PM by moneygamelover »

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »
At the half, Philly leads the Washington Football Team 17-7, with the Eagles secondary being strong against the struggling Washington offense for the majority of the first half. As for New England in their first regular season game without Tom Brady, they lead Miami 14-3 as of this post.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
Atlanta's Matt Ryan put up some high caliber stats--36 for 53, 434 yards, 2 TDs--only to come up short against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks, 38-25. Too many missed opportunities. Two failed fourth down conversions, a fake punt that got fumbled and the incapability to stop the Seattle pass game. The Falcons would have been booed off the field if there had been a crowd (canned crowd noise can't boo).

As for Washington, looks like they got their second wind. They beat Philly, 27-17.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:14:29 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 04:22:16 PM »
Some things don't change: The Browns still suck, the Lions still find ways to blow it, the Patriots still win, and Aaron Rodgers still throws touchdowns.

The Patriots win Cam Newton's debut 21-11 behind Newton's 2 rushing touchdowns. Newton now has 60 career rushing touchdowns.