Author Topic: 2020 NFL Season  (Read 44050 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2020 NFL Season
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »
AFC Postseason Spots, IMO: Kansas City, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Indianapolis

NFC Postseason Spots, IMO: Seattle, Green Bay, New Orleans, Washington, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, and Chicago
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »
Atlanta's dumpster fire of a season ends with a 44-27 loss to Tampa Bay. If Raheed Morris is still interviewing for the Falcons HC job, the last five games better not be on his resume.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »
Normally I don't root for Tom Brady but I hope he destroys the No-Names next week.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2021, 12:10:23 AM »
Tampa Bay likely will win, but I totally have no issue with how Philadelphia approached their game tonight.  None whatsoever.  It's not the Eagles responsibility to help deliver a postseason berth to a franchise that produced six wins within a 16-game season

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2021, 01:23:09 AM »
My quick picks for wild card weekend.

Bills over Colts.
Browns over Steelers.
Ravens over Titans.
Saints over Bears.
Seahawks over Rams.
Buccaneers over Washington.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:47 AM »
I wonder if perhaps the NFL will change the rules to bar teams with losing records despite winning the division (i.e. minimum of .500 as the benchmark)? Or in the alternative, have the team that won the division guarantee the playoff spot but not necessarily a home game if their record isn't better than the team facing against.

On another note, I think the Dallas Cowboys should move to the NFC South (and one of the NFC South teams move to the NFC East).

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2021, 06:29:16 AM »
On another note, I think the Dallas Cowboys should move to the NFC South (and one of the NFC South teams move to the NFC East).

That will never happen under Jerry Jones' ownership. He loves the rivalries with the Giants, Eagles and the Football Team.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
I wonder if perhaps the NFL will change the rules to bar teams with losing records despite winning the division (i.e. minimum of .500 as the benchmark)? Or in the alternative, have the team that won the division guarantee the playoff spot but not necessarily a home game if their record isn't better than the team facing against.

No chance that'll happen.  The NFL has had several seasons in which a team finished at 500 or worse, and as a result, they ended up hosting and winning a playoff game.  Of course, they got destroyed in their next postseason game against even better competition.  Save for the 2014 Carolina Panthers and the 2011 Denver Broncos, we nearly had a situation where those bad teams were in position to host a conference championship game (2008 San Diego Chargers & 2010 Seattle Seahawks).

The old saying is still the norm: win your division.  Homefield is a big deal and an advantage, but if you’re good enough, then you can win anywhere.  The Baltimore Ravens were the perfect example of that, primarily from 2008-2012.

This was not a normal year, but the league still got through all 256 games, and regardless of the outcome, after another 13 more games, it will be a success after everything.  What we saw from the NFC East, while something to laugh at, was not who they are.  They are still the most decorated division in terms of accomplishments (most super bowls & every member having at least one Lombardi).  It was just a down year for them.

This will get discussed during the winter meetings and the owners’ meetings in the offseason, but I wouldn’t bet on change.  The league office can propose such a major postseason change, but it’ll likely get shut down by the owners.  I think the issue here is that there are so many divisions, the most out of the four major sports.  The fact that there are way too many divisions throughout the league makes the chance of a 6-10 team winning their division.  A better solution would be to merge (while keeping the NFC East intact).  Or go back to having three per conference, but they might have to add some teams into the league first.  No word on that yet, but it’s been quite a long time since they’ve added a new team into the league

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2021, 11:50:10 AM »
With the playoffs about an hour away, my picks for the weekend in order are Buffalo, Seattle, Tampa, Baltimore, New Orleans and Cleveland.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
It's a blast from the past today with an NFL playoff game early Saturday afternoon with the Bills hosting.  Any resemblance of retro/classic NFL is good for me!

Speaking of which, it would be pretty awesome if Buffalo comes out of the AFC but loses to Tampa Bay or the Bucs coming out of the NFC bus losing to Baltimore.  Pretty much would culminate with bragging rights for the eventual champion.

Kansas City is the defending champion, but right now I don't see how I would ever bet on them to win a game against Baltimore or Buffalo.  Everyone else I definitely will not bet against them.  However the way things are this year, the act of never betting against Patrick Mahomes is meaningless and non-traditional.  Green Bay should be okay, especially if the weather plays in their favor

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2021, 05:08:39 PM »
Turns out the Buffalo Bills faced a tougher match than I thought they would as they held on to defeat the Indianapolis Colts 27-24 and win a playoff game for the first time since 1995.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »
Turns out Tampa faced a tougher match than expected.  Unlike Indy, Washington did win its division and unlike Buffalo, Tampa was a wildcard.  Ron Rivera was 2-0 against Brady and his defense is pretty good.  Heinickie added a spark to the offense and kept them in.  At the end of the day, it was a great game; Washington played as if they belonged in the playoffs, and the better team won in Tampa.

Meanwhile, Seattle is overrated, and now with Los Angeles' injures, the Bucs are hoping Chicago can pull the upset tomorrow

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
IMO, the Bears beating the Saints in this game would be almost as big of an upset as the Jets beating the Colts in Superbowl III and the Giants beating the Patriots in Superbowl XLII.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2021, 07:13:39 PM »
Saints have gone to getting screwed over by the refs to getting a lot of help from the refs.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2021, 12:13:53 AM »
I guess the "narrative" of a team that features a legend in his final season needing to ride off into the sunset lives on.  And although Tampa might fare better against New Orleans this time, maybe the NFL isn't a fan of a team "hosting" the Super Bowl.  Looks like the Bucs have to earn it.

Next Week's Schedule (Unless it's not)

Packers host the Rams in Saturday's early game
Bills host the Ravens in Saturday's late game
Kansas City hosts Cleveland in Sunday's early game
New Orleans hosts Tampa Bay in Sunday's late game

Quick reminder: Sunday's divisional round kicks off a couple hours later than in the past. In other words, the kickoff mirrors whatever the Conference Championship weekend kickoffs are (3:00 and 6:30 both EST).  Approximately 4:40 and past 8:00 both EST for Saturday