Author Topic: 2020 NFL Season  (Read 44320 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2020 NFL Season
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2021, 06:28:29 PM »
Turns out that Rashard Higgins's fumble resulting in a touchback cost the Browns a chance to go to the AFC Championship Game as the Chiefs managed to win by a score of 22-17. Also there was no targeting call either. Had he got to the end zone things would have been different.

I now wonder if the NFL will change the rules for the fumble touchback at their owners' meeting later in the year, given the current rule states that the defense gets the ball at the 20 yard line. Perhaps the offense should keep the ball, have a new set of downs, and at the 20.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2021, 06:31:43 PM »
Chiefs will host Buffalo next week. That line of 10 was a mite rich, wasn't it? And so was the O/U.

That's why it was the easy pick to go for the Browns and the points.  You wonder if Kansas City covers if Mahomes survives; OTOH, if that awful call doesn't happen against Cleveland, that may change things.

I'm a very rare swap.  Moving my pick from New Orleans to Tampa Bay.  If I'm wrong to do that, so be it.  New, official info has me second guessing my original pick (which is mainly why I don't pick six days in advance).  AB is playing, Tayson Hill is not, and Brees isn't 100%
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2021, 06:58:42 PM »
Here come the refs to preserve Brady's legacy.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »
Here come the refs to preserve Brady's legacy.

Nah. Drew Brees told the refs to hold the beer

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2021, 10:00:07 PM »
Nah. Drew Brees told the refs to hold the beer

Seems that way. He just fell apart in that half.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2021, 10:18:13 PM »
Early lines on the conference championships are Green Bay giving 4 and Kansas City giving 3. We'll see which way the money goes through the week, especially based on Mahommes' status.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2021, 01:04:38 AM »
Yeah, I will not be making my predictions right now.  I should be leaning one way or another by Friday, but I might not know for sure until late Sunday morning / early Sunday afternoon EST.  There is some optimism with Mahomes, however and maybe the lines reflect that.

I'm not so sure about the O/U.  Both are set in the 50s.  There's a lot more defense in the postseason, and the weather plays out more in the playoffs than in the regular season.  Anyway, I think when you factor in the entire season, the best four teams are the four teams left in the NFL season so the O/U is about right.  As mentioned, Pat's availability and the conditions at Lambeau will be a major factor

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2021, 12:33:36 PM »
The Chiefs say Mahomes is "doing well," and he'll rest until he reaches baseline status. How he does after workouts and such until he clears protocol is naturally up in the air.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline BDE

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »
Turns out that Rashard Higgins's fumble resulting in a touchback cost the Browns a chance to go to the AFC Championship Game as the Chiefs managed to win by a score of 22-17. Also there was no targeting call either. Had he got to the end zone things would have been different.

I now wonder if the NFL will change the rules for the fumble touchback at their owners' meeting later in the year, given the current rule states that the defense gets the ball at the 20 yard line. Perhaps the offense should keep the ball, have a new set of downs, and at the 20.
I wonder the same. We shall see if the NFL does indeed change its rules.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
Patrick Mahomes went through light workouts yesterday, and they're saying he'll start Sunday vs. Buffalo. Line is still 3, O/U at 54.
--Michel de Montaigne

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2021, 05:24:52 PM »
He's still in the protocol, but I think I'd definitely be shocked if he isn't there on Sunday.  The factors include taking more snaps than not during Thursday's practice & the declaration that he's playing.  No way that gets said if there's a chance Pat doesn't make it

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2021, 02:56:27 PM »
Final notable actives/inactives include Patrick Mahomes being okay to go (got out of concussion protocol); and Antonio Brown missing out on what would have been his third conference championship game and his first NFC conference championship game.

As for today's games, man, I can see any team winning.  It would be a total copout to say Tampa and Buffalo cover but Green Bay and Kansas City will survive.  In other words I can say I got it right based off of the winner or I got it right based off of whether the Bucs or Bills covered. 

While I think we'll finally get that State Farm Superbowl (or simply a State Farm Bowl) the recipe for Tampa to win is so there.  Plus I almost never pick against Brady.  IMO, I think Buffalo has a better chance of pulling the upset over KC than Tampa Bay against the Packers.

Tampa Bay has the run game and the defense to win.  I think the key for the Packers to win will be to obtain a big lead.  Then they won't have to stop the run.  If the Bucs can stop Green Bay from scoring, that should do it, but they'll need to maintain their surge or find a way without AB.

I probably would have picked against the Chiefs if Mahomes was a no go.  As mentioned last week, nobody on the Chiefs defense is scary.  While I hold true to that, it doesn't mean Buffalo should disrespect them.  Cleveland's offense picked up; unlike the Browns, the Bills offense is one-dimensional.  The Bills should get theirs, but their defense isn't that elite.  I don't think an immediate 14-point swing, if it even happens, will be enough to stop the Chiefs from doing what they do

Edited because concussion protocol and contestants row are not the same

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »
Looks like Aaron Rodgers is going to start preparing for his Jeopardy gig.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2021, 06:32:54 PM »
THE CURSE IS FINALLY LIFTED!!!  :-D :-D
AFTER 54 YEARS, TAMPA BAY WILL PLAY IN THE HOST SUPER BOWL STADIUM!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Come Super Bowl LV, I don't care who comes out on top ; this home stadium super bowl curse is lifted
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2021, 07:31:06 PM »
THE CURSE IS FINALLY LIFTED!!!  :-D :-D
AFTER 54 YEARS, TAMPA BAY WILL PLAY IN THE HOST SUPER BOWL STADIUM!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Come Super Bowl LV, I don't care who comes out on top ; this home stadium super bowl curse is lifted

It kind of sucks this year, because of the pandemic.  Of course, this time a year ago I figured we'd have to wait a year or whenever for the Superbowl to return to L.A. as I gave the Rams the shot at being that team to host there.  While not the first team, it's possible.  Moreover, it looks like the Chargers have what it takes to rise to the occasion with Herbert (though they still have Kansas City in their division)

Looks like Aaron Rodgers is going to start preparing for his Jeopardy gig.

He probably might want to prepare well enough to top Ken Jennings for the job.  Until Brady leaves Tampa, it the Buccaneers and nobody else in the NFC.  Whoever survives what will be a stacked AFC will have to deal with Tampa in order to stay the course as it relates to the NFC dominance in the big game