Author Topic: Edited Gameplay on TPIR  (Read 3063 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Edited Gameplay on TPIR
« on: August 03, 2020, 12:28:53 AM »
We are all aware of the one-bid overbids that are edited out of the broadcast which has been common practice for a number of years now. Bob's final seven seasons averaged 81 overbids aired per season. Now, it is startling to hear the overbid buzzer as it can be months between buzzes.

Does anyone know exactly when this practice of editing out bidding rounds began? There is a reference in the FAQ Timeline on the Season 35 episode airing February 20, 2007 where it appears an overbid was edited out based on dialogue between Bob and the contestant.

Season 29 - 71 overbids (5 double overbids)
Season 30 - 75 overbids (10 double overbids)
Season 31 - 90 overbids (5 double overbids)
Season 32 - 84 overbids (4 double overbids)
Season 33 - 89 overbids (9 double overbids)
Season 34 - 81 overbids (10 double overbids)
Season 35 - 78 overbids (3 double overbids)
Season 36 - 45 overbids (0 double overbids)
Season 37 - 29 overbids (3 double overbids)
Season 38 - 37 overbids (2 double overbids)
Season 39 - 37 overbids (1 double overbid)
Season 40 - 9 overbids (1 double overbid)
Season 41 - 13 overbids (1 double overbid)
Season 42 - 5 overbids (1 double overbid)
Season 43 - 9 overbids (0 double overbids)
Season 44 - 9 overbids (1 double overbid)
Season 45 - 9 overbids (0 double overbids)
Season 46 - 16 overbids (1 double overbid)
Season 47 - 8 overbids (0 double overbids)
Season 48 - 4 overbids (0 double overbids)

No show since season 39 has had two different prizes that have been overbid on by contestants. Bob's final six seasons averaged 10 episodes per season with two different prizes with overbids.

Are there other gameplay aspects of the show that are edited out?

3 Strikes would be an easy game to edit pulls out of broadcast if the show runs long. The early pulls would likely need to remain intact but late pulls, particularly pulls between the second and third strike, could easily be edited out by producers.

Is it possible that Showcase Showdown spins that do not make a full revolution may have been edited out in some episodes?

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: Edited Gameplay on TPIR
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »
An episode I attended with gamesurf last summer had a contestant with multiple failed spins and I believe only one of them was actually aired.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 12:45:43 AM »
An episode I attended with gamesurf last summer had a contestant with multiple failed spins and I believe only one of them was actually aired.

Wasn't that the one where even Drew tried to spin and didn't get it around, leading to some funny interaction with the audience? I seem to recall that being mentioned in a taping review.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
There are shows from the first season with all-overbids that were edited out.  It's obviously become more common in recent years, but it's hardly a new practice.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »
Wasn't that the one where even Drew tried to spin and didn't get it around, leading to some funny interaction with the audience? I seem to recall that being mentioned in a taping review.

It was yes. It was an over all longer segment than usual so it was bound to have some editing done to it.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 05:19:28 PM »
It was yes. It was an over all longer segment than usual so it was bound to have some editing done to it.

IIRC she took like five spins. One unassisted, one where Drew helped her with one hand that didn't get all the way around (Drew got booed, it was funny), one that made it all the way around, but she decided to take a second spin...

It was funny to see Drew get booed for not getting the wheel all around, but I remember wondering at the time whether it would be kept in because the show already felt like it was running very long (a Pay the Rent player made some weird decisions and took forever, a Card Game player that drew lots of low numbers).

They cut Drew being booed out and playfully shouting "Shut up!" It was a fun treat for those of us in the audience.

Are there other gameplay aspects of the show that are edited out?

Contestant's Row is a night and day difference. Not edited gameplay, necessarily, just how much it gets sped up on the air.

On TV, you see the camera cutting to somebody turning around after surveying the audience and placing their bid after one or two seconds. In real life, I'd estimate the average contestant takes 20-30 seconds between bids.

George reminds audience members in his warmup to keep yelling bids throughout (don't just yell a bid once and stop, keep yelling your suggestions at the players until all four contestants have finished bidding). Easy if the bidding round only lasted the 30 seconds you see on TV, but it requires a ton of energy to yell "SEVEN HUNDRED! SEVEN HUNDRED!" for two or three minutes straight without a break while all the contestants take their sweet time.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 11:07:43 AM »
I bet there are at least a few times a showcase bid was edited out, as I've watched a clip on Price's YT channel before and it took around 2+ minutes. The woman can't decide what to bid, and Drew laughing it out at the end.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 09:06:55 PM »
The Barker era was pretty much live-to-tape with a few exceptions, and that was part of that era's charm. That Make Your Move incident where Bob just played wouldn't happen today.

10 Chances easily could be edited due to some contestants taking so long to write the price down (forget the ten second rule!) But it's easy to just cut to the audience for a few seconds to edit out stuff for everything from Showcase bids, making a simple decision like "higher", "false", 3 candies, a various price, or even deciding where to place an "X" on Secret X. That's also why I like timed games since those can't be edited.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/