Author Topic: Season 49  (Read 5701 times)

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Season 49
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
Any updates on Penny Ante?

I heard they're changing it so that (a) you only get 2 pennies instead of 3, and (b) instead of prizes, the two "items" will each be two digits in the price of a car, with the first digit in the car's price given, and three choices for each instead of four.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 07:42:15 PM »
When is Bob Barker coming back to host the show? Can they up the DSW range to $500 or less?

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 08:28:05 PM »
I heard that instead of bringing back 2 player bullseye, there are now plans to create 3 player bullseye.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline ausmic1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 08:38:10 PM »
I heard that they’re going to reduce the show to 5 pricing games and leave the final slot for a Daniel Rosen juggling performance.

Offline dprice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 08:49:19 PM »
They will still have 6 pricing games.

Offline PayingTheRent

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 08:55:15 PM »
I heard Big Jon’s game has been officially cleared by CBS and Fremantle to host virtual shows in lieu of having people in-studio.

They will still have 6 pricing games.

No they won’t.  Coronavirus has killed the budget.  We’ll be lucky to get three pricing games in between the 35 minutes of advertisements for Colonial Penn.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:50 PM »
Since you guys are bringing up ideas on un-retiring games, I nominate Joker and Poker Game, with the latter playing out like Clock Game in that you'd win a larger bonus prize if you won all four prizes.

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • [space for rent]
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
No they won’t.  Coronavirus has killed the budget.  We’ll be lucky to get three pricing games in between the 35 minutes of advertisements for Colonial Penn.

2 to 1 on 40 minutes of Head-On. Place your bets!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

All aboard the train to Rerun City...when will we return?

Offline JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 09:33:19 PM »
I heard they're switching to the Davidson format (albeit 60 minutes long) with a lesser budget for the Showcases, sponsored by Sears.
The price will always be right.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/20
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • The youngest LFAT on these boards
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »
Mike Richards told me Do-It-Yourself showcases are coming back, but the contestant has to do everything themselves, including model the prizes and reveal their bids.

And it's sponsored by Big W.
Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

HYO total winnings: $probably like $200k + Canadian dollars

Real life winnings: $300 + $800 in gift cards

Offline JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
No more prize packages, just a $3,000 shopping spree to be won on some games.  ;)
The price will always be right.

Offline GasMoney09721007

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »
Since you guys are bringing up ideas on un-retiring games, I nominate Joker and Poker Game, with the latter playing out like Clock Game in that you'd win a larger bonus prize if you won all four prizes.

I know you're being facetious but that seriously would be a very easy solution to the game's limited prize options. I miss Poker Game and I never understood the hate it used to get

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 07:34:33 PM »
^I'm guessing it's because it wasn't really a pricing game and boiled down to a random picking game based around poker.  :-)

But enough about that, I heard from my sister's boyfriend's dentist's daughter that On The Spot is coming back this season in all its crayon-colored glory. If you can't trust that kind of insider info, don't know who you can turn to.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »
Can confirm, just received a PM from a trusted source about this.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 08:42:29 PM »
Personally, I think the show's plans to adapt for social distancing are rather ingenious:

Per current Los Angeles County guidelines, the audience will contain no more than 100 people. Instead of trying to make a smaller crowd sound big, the show will be taking a page from overdramatic prime time game shows and start in complete silence (a low drone will be added to the soundtrack in post-production).

George will announce the first name. But not to come on down -- instead, he will say, "John Smith, get on out!" The named audience member will then leave their seat and walk out of the studio, never to be seen again. George will then call the next person to leave. This continues until there are only six audience members remaining and is the entirety of the first three acts of the show.

During the commercial break, the remaining audience members are situated behind a special six-person Contestants' Row. To maintain social distancing, each display is six feet apart, meaning that Contestants' Row is now a little over 30 feet long and is nearly the width of the front of the audience pit (they had to place it a little off center so there would be six feet between the contestant and George). Drew finally comes out and begins to host the show, which uses the 1972 three-game format (with the exception of the first One Bid being bid on by six contestants and the second One Bid being bid on by the remaining five).

Winners will not leave Contestants' Row -- instead, they will play their pricing game from behind their display in the audience pit. For added protection, Drew will host the show from inside a Plexiglas box. After the first taping, ventilation holes will be added to the box.

Because contestants can't touch shared surfaces, there is no Showcase Showdown. The Big Wheel will be onstage for the entire episode; it's just that no one is allowed to touch it.

At the conclusion of the Showcase (also conducted from Contestants' Row), the winning contestant will not be allowed to go to their prizes -- after all, that's where the models are standing. Instead, the contestant will stand in front of a green screen and pretend to appreciate what they've won. Because most contestants are not familiar with pretending to interact with objects while standing in front of a green screen, this part of the show will take 45 minutes to tape.

Season 49's gonna be amazing!
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Are you ready to go shopping?