Author Topic: Prototyping an eggcrate control unit.  (Read 12661 times)

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Prototyping an eggcrate control unit.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 03:31:41 AM »
Here are some notes from my files:

DISPLAY SYSTEMS READOUT — MODEL 21S

6 1/2" H x 4 3/8" W x 3 1/2" D

DOT DIAMETER: 5/8"

1/16" BETWEEN DOTS

OVERALL COLUMN HEIGHT: 4 3/4"

OVERALL ROW WIDTH: 3 3/8"

Here is another LED substitute. It might not require a current-limiting resistor:
https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/ge-1819-24vdc-eyebrow-instrument-led-replacement-ba9s-base 

With 1820 lamps I've found that you DO need a dimmer.

Yes, LED's are expensive (the networks can afford them). Here are some less-intense lamps:
1892 -- 14.4 volts -- .75 candlepower -- .12 amp -- 1.728 watts

For comparison:
1820 -- 28 volts -- 1.6 candlepower -- .1 amp -- 2.8 watts (original)

To the O.P.: Did you ever figure out why your readouts are glitchy? Are you multiplexing the "segments"?

Here is a ULN chip you could use to drive the lamps:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uln2803a.pdf?ts=1610719656153

The multicolor LED readout:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gameshow/comments/dowgsl/remember_that_eggcrate_display_i_built_a_couple/
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline tomcat

• Outside in Line
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 06:51:06 PM »
For anyone interested in the more technical details of my design, including source code for an ESP8266, watch the Youtube video here. Parts list and source code are in the video's description.

(Youtube embed didn't work, so search Youtube for this title: Display Systems 19S-8 Vintage Eggcrate Display (Light Bulb Matrix) controlled by ESP8266; Overview)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:35:27 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
You know, the whole newbies-not-being-able-to-post-links thing is a great anti-spam feature, but sometimes it's detrimental. Like here, when we actually have a new member with some pretty cool designer accessories.

Since I'm a nice, benevolent admin who gives the people what they want...

"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline tomcat

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
I appreciate that. Thank you! If anyone is planning on buying some of these to create a project, I'd be happy to help out with the programming.

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 12:12:46 PM »
Lavender lollipops, I come back to this topic and it's blown up!

DISPLAY SYSTEMS READOUT — MODEL 21S

6 1/2" H x 4 3/8" W x 3 1/2" D

DOT DIAMETER: 5/8"

1/16" BETWEEN DOTS

OVERALL COLUMN HEIGHT: 4 3/4"

OVERALL ROW WIDTH: 3 3/8"

Model 21S, you say? Do you have any images of the device?

And from the look of the dimensions it seems to be more compact than the 19S-8.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:16:19 PM by ComeOnDown98 »

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 12:20:36 PM »
To the O.P.: Did you ever figure out why your readouts are glitchy? Are you multiplexing the "segments"?

And I forgot you asked about the glitch... turns out it was just ESD being a nuisance and destroying my CMOS ICs.

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
For anyone interested in the more technical details of my design, including source code for an ESP8266, watch the Youtube video here. Parts list and source code are in the video's description.

(Youtube embed didn't work, so search Youtube for this title: Display Systems 19S-8 Vintage Eggcrate Display (Light Bulb Matrix) controlled by ESP8266; Overview)

I saw the technical specifications. Not bad!

Mixing vintage bulb displays with a modern WiFi microcontroller to design a countdown timer.

By the way, tell price_authority how the eggcrate display really works...

Offline tomcat

• Outside in Line
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 12:46:26 PM »
No worries! I can appreciate anyone's enthusiasm regarding old game shows and displays. I certainly share it! I wanted to keep mine looking as if it was used on a game show during that hayday, so I'll be keeping everything incandescent.

Glad you enjoyed the video!

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 08:12:07 PM »
Just saw what was posted on Reddit, and that "Family Feud" eggcrate display demo was pretty cool!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »
By the way, tell price_authority how the eggcrate display really works...

You're going to tell Mr. Authority how an eggcrate works?  Interesting.
John

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 11:30:24 PM »
The actual way eggcrate displays work is that they use diodes on an internal ROM card to map each pixel in the display.

When a signal pin is connected to ground with common referenced at +28V, the current is steered through the diodes and directed to the appropriate bulbs to be lit for the selected symbol associated with that pin.

That, @price_authority, is how these displays work.

P.S. I checked Surplus Sales recently... oh no, the listing's gone!  :cry:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:33:52 PM by ComeOnDown98 »

Offline SuperVideoSaver

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 10:02:03 PM »
You know, the whole newbies-not-being-able-to-post-links thing is a great anti-spam feature, but sometimes it's detrimental. Like here, when we actually have a new member with some pretty cool designer accessories.

Oh no, how many posts do we have to have before we can post external links?

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
@SuperVideoSaver I see your PFP, see Super Saver, and think now that that's probably the only game that ever used dollar signs on Price... (and a minus sign, too. :biggrin:)

I think maybe if I get a working prototype going, I could prototype a diode board to control a tiny grain-of-wheat light bulb matrix to light different patterns. And I could have the input pins PCB-enabled, too.

Offline tomcat

• Outside in Line
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »
The actual way eggcrate displays work is that they use diodes on an internal ROM card to map each pixel in the display.

When a signal pin is connected to ground with common referenced at +28V, the current is steered through the diodes and directed to the appropriate bulbs to be lit for the selected symbol associated with that pin.

That, @price_authority, is how these displays work.

This would certainly be a much cleaner way of doing it. In the case of these Display Systems eggcrates, everything is entirely discreet. About as high tech as it gets on these are traces on a circuit board. Diodes themselves are discreet components, and even the wiring from the Molex connector looks hand-soldered.

You can see where extra wiring was added to display the "$" symbol on these. I am "assuming" when these were ordered new from Display Systems you had an option to order a special character at extra charge.

Offline ComeOnDown98

• In the Audience
  • Lavender lollipops!
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2021, 04:04:01 PM »
This would certainly be a much cleaner way of doing it. In the case of these Display Systems eggcrates, everything is entirely discreet. About as high tech as it gets on these are traces on a circuit board. Diodes themselves are discreet components, and even the wiring from the Molex connector looks hand-soldered.

You can see where extra wiring was added to display the "$" symbol on these. I am "assuming" when these were ordered new from Display Systems you had an option to order a special character at extra charge.

Yeah, like with the O-V-E-R letters in the old showcase podiums and the old Card Game.

Example...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:09:29 PM by ComeOnDown98 »