Author Topic: You Make The Call.....WWYD in this situation?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
You Make The Call.....WWYD in this situation?
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:20:12 PM »
So a while ago, a recap of the 25th Season Finale from June 13th, 1997 was posted in the Price Was Right section, and just for the heck of it I decided to watch it as it is on YouTube after I saw it. As I did, I noticed there was an interesting incident in the very first one bid of the show that I am very curious to get this board's take on, that was never picked up by anyone on the staff somehow even after the show was being edited for air, as there was no mention of any extra prizes given out or anything in the closing credits, but should have necessitated some sort of technical win at the very least in my estimation.

What happened was, Bob misheard a question asked by the last bidder of the First Four, Kirstin. He was asked what the size of the TV up for bid, but he thought he was being asked what the highest bid was instead, and only told her that not being corrected by her. She then bid based on that information, and failed to win. As it turned out, she got onstage two games later anyway, and played for and lost the most expensive game in that half of the show Lucky Seven, so the order of things wasn't really impacted as far as how things actually played out on air, since in doing that she still had a chance to be the top winner and last spinner on the wheel in SCSD #1 had she won (she spun first in reality), but I still kinda wonder how they'd have handled such a mistake if they caught it after taping.

I think the only fair thing to have done woulda been to give her the prizes for the game she could have played had she gotten the info she asked (Credit Card), $11,000 on the Wheel and both showcases, since you really can't have predicted what woulda happened had it all played out differently, but it's hard to say. I don't imagine it'd have been serious enough either to scrap the taping outright, but I suppose if they really wanted to they could have, given how everything after it had the potential to be different because of it.

What would you all have done about this? It's a pretty unique circumstance.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: You Make The Call.....WWYD in this situation?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 10:09:08 PM »
If she thought the TV was over 100 inches, I’d say that’s her fault for not insisting on a correct answer to her question.

However, if Bob had said the wrong size for the TV, I don’t know how it would be possible, but I’d have given her the guaranteed opportunity to get called on down again in the First Four in any show next season. I’m not aware how that would have violated the rule of getting called on down once in your lifetime, but giving all the prizes she *could have won* is too much of a hypothetical stretch. So you’re saying she would have had the 1/200ish odds on the wheel, would have DSWed, and even gotten on stage? If you draw the line there, what about the bonus for a perfect bid on Contestants’ Row, for instance?
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:40:33 PM »
If she thought the TV was over 100 inches, I’d say that’s her fault for not insisting on a correct answer to her question.

However, if Bob had said the wrong size for the TV, I don’t know how it would be possible, but I’d have given her the guaranteed opportunity to get called on down again in the First Four in any show next season. I’m not aware how that would have violated the rule of getting called on down once in your lifetime, but giving all the prizes she *could have won* is too much of a hypothetical stretch. So you’re saying she would have had the 1/200ish odds on the wheel, would have DSWed, and even gotten on stage? If you draw the line there, what about the bonus for a perfect bid on Contestants’ Row, for instance?

I didn't think of that, but you could do that too. And remember, with stuff like this where S&P is concerned, you have to assume everything to be completely fair. Remember the episode in around 2002 where something like this came up, and it was announced by Rod the lady effected received the prizes at show's end (even if it wasn't said which ones specifically)? This woulda been much the same I suspect.

I can see your point though as far as it being her fault for not insisting she got her question answered. And it may be in fact someone did spot this exchange, but because she didn't press it, didn't do anything about it, because she could have made sure he understood her and she didn't. I could see that being possible.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:44:50 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 10:53:25 PM »
Watching the clip, after Bob told her what the highest bid was she just said "OK" and made her bid, thinking nothing of it after. Since she did eventually get on stage I don't think it was necessary to give her anything else. If she hadn't gotten on stage, I would've maybe as TPIRfan suggested offered her to come back and be called down on a future taping but really It was on her to restate the question if she really thought it was important to her to be able to bid.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:58:25 PM by JayC »

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:56:01 PM »
Just watched it.

Contestant: “What was the size of—“
Bob: “The highest bid—“
Contestant: “—the TV?”
Bob: “—is 800 dollars.”
Contestant: “Ok. Um... 700.”

Yeah. The contestant got nervous and bid, and that’s on her. It’s not a case of the show mishearing a bid or anything. Bob didn’t say anything false, nor anything that could have disadvantaged her specifically.

It’s all live to tape, there are no cuts in the contestants row aside from when Bob answers her question, and you can almost see her nervously decide “screw it, that wasn’t my question but I’m gonna bid anyways.”

It’s a nerve-wracking environment, and it’s understandable she decided to bid in order to keep the show moving, but if she really needed to know, she should have repeated her question. It was handled fairly.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:39:17 AM »
^ have to agree with this. I’ve seen multiple occasions where a contestant will ask a question about the IUFB and bob will mishear it and the contestant has no problem repeating their question to get a proper answer from Bob or whoever. It is very nerve racking being in contestants row with everyone shouting prices at you and not wanting to take 40years to bid.