Author Topic: Season 49  (Read 12610 times)

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Season 49
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »
Major assumptions/predictions: I guess it wouldn’t be impossible for the show to get a pretty large group of contestants that will be in the LA area throughout that period (October) that they can regularly test for COVID, and then try to shoot as many episodes as possible to fill in the year from there. So basically the only difference from TPiR pre-COVID is that the same people would be in the audience for each episode in the season (or possibly a chunk of a season depending on how many episodes they want to tape).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:01:38 PM by BD »

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2020, 03:53:46 PM »
My official prediction; they select 9 contestants, those are the only contestants in the studio for that taping, they call them down in random order during the show as usual, no audience at all.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »
Reasonable guess that would align with current guidelines.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2020, 05:13:34 PM »
That sounds like the only way it'll work if the show wanted to start ASAP.  They could get 45 people in and still follow social distancing; I'm guessing they'll have to have their contestants quarantine for a couple weeks which, I believe is pretty reasonable
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
If the show returns to new episodes, I suspect the first pricing game will offer a very expensive car (possibly in the six figures) and a game with easy odds of winning that car.  Possibly along the lines of Double Prices or something.

I also expect there will be no trips offered for a while.  If any trips are offered, probably restricted to trips within the lower 48 states.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2020, 02:52:58 PM »
If the show returns to new episodes, I suspect the first pricing game will offer a very expensive car (possibly in the six figures) and a game with easy odds of winning that car.  Possibly along the lines of Double Prices or something.

I also expect there will be no trips offered for a while.  If any trips are offered, probably restricted to trips within the lower 48 states.

Seems possible, though with Wheel showing their remaining episodes this coming week, they are doing a contest (the episodes are Carnival Cruise themed), and the winner of that contest will have until 2022 to take their prize.  So it's also possible they could do similar, offering some trips with an extended timeline for taking them.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
Another thing that could be possible.  Since there may end up being nearly 220 episodes to produce for this season, there may be budget cuts.  Season 28 was cut short, and those 11 outstanding episodes were added to the Season 29 contract.  As a result of the greater number of episodes, they had to stretch the season's budget by offering fewer luxury cars (plus there were only three playings of 3 Strikes that season, that season's first playing in February 2001), plus Janice and Kathleen were both terminated - again, likely due to budget cuts.

Despite that there may be fewer luxury cars offered in the upcoming season, I suspect that a majorly expensive car could be offered on the first new episode of this upcoming season, and none of the big three car games will be played for it - with a setup designed to easily win the car, possibly to allow the show to come back with a bang.

Also, considering the taping dates for these upcoming new episodes, could this imply that these may actually be the final weeks of Season 48, and maybe this show may be cancelled in favor of a talk show?  I read something about a talk show hosted by Drew Barrymore coming to CBS daytime (and it was reported it was finalized for the upcoming seasoni), and we know that the two soaps on CBS are renewed, so that leaves The Talk or one of the two remaining game shows, as candidates to be replaced by a talk show.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2020, 03:31:02 PM »
plus Janice and Kathleen were both terminated - again, likely due to budget cuts.
You obviously don't know your TPIR history if you believe that for one second.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2020, 03:40:23 PM »
I read something about a talk show hosted by Drew Barrymore coming to CBS daytime (and it was reported it was finalized for the upcoming seasoni), and we know that the two soaps on CBS are renewed, so that leaves The Talk or one of the two remaining game shows, as candidates to be replaced by a talk show.

Drew Barrymore's talk show maybe produced by CBS, but it appears like it is syndicated.  Thus, it doesn't affect the set CBS daytime lineup.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2020, 04:24:10 PM »
Drew Barrymore's upcoming talk show is indeed syndicated, not network.

In reply to FanofDrew87, would they necessarily be adding on the untaped season 48 episodes onto the season 49 count?

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
Also, considering the taping dates for these upcoming new episodes, could this imply that these may actually be the final weeks of Season 48, and maybe this show may be cancelled in favor of a talk show?  I read something about a talk show hosted by Drew Barrymore coming to CBS daytime (and it was reported it was finalized for the upcoming seasoni), and we know that the two soaps on CBS are renewed, so that leaves The Talk or one of the two remaining game shows, as candidates to be replaced by a talk show.

If the show was cancelled, why on earth would they want to come back and "finish" season 48? You're talking nonsense.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »
Drew Barrymore's upcoming talk show is indeed syndicated, not network.

In reply to FanofDrew87, would they necessarily be adding on the untaped season 48 episodes onto the season 49 count?
If they do, that could mean new episodes through at least next August, with minimal reruns next summer.  It could even be possible that there could be all new episodes in July for the first time since the 1970s.  Should be a very interesting season.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »
If they do, that could mean new episodes through at least next August, with minimal reruns next summer.  It could even be possible that there could be all new episodes in July for the first time since the 1970s.  Should be a very interesting season.

Wouldn't be the first since then.......they've done 4th of July shows several times in Drew's era, dating back to his first year, and in said first season did a bunch more shows too due to the October start vs. the usual September.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2020, 11:19:28 PM »
No episodes were "added to Season 29's contract."  10 episodes were sliced out of that season's order and tacked onto the end of Season 28.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.