Author Topic: Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49  (Read 17277 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Deadline Hollywood Exclusive on Season 49
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2020, 01:38:48 PM »
I’m really curious about that aspect. I wonder how many casual fans will not care if they do use the effects should they go that way. By covering the seating area, you’ve taken away a visual reminder of the missing audience. No, it won’t be the same as shows with few audience shots. No question. But it’s possible to over analyze when looking through the lens of someone with more invested in the show than someone just looking to be entertained with some light fluff for a bit of the day.

Even as a closer observer, and even if I might roll my eyes at sound from a crowd that doesn’t exist, it would not give me a moment’s hesitation. And after a show or two, I just wouldn’t care. If that provides a sense of normalcy, albeit artificial, fine. It is a TV show. Nothing more or less. Laugh tracks didn’t bother me even when I knew there was no audience. This is no different in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »
I was viewing James's story on Instagram, and it appears that the "fenced" off area in the back corner of the studio near George's podium is where the contestants will be sitting until they are called down.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
Most other shows with an audience can pretty easily mask the lack of one by virtue of piped-in crowd noise since we don’t typically see the crowd — at least not often.  I’ll go on the record as predicting Price will carry on without added noise.  There is no way to fake it without being obvious.  Even with literally thousands of hours of audience noise to sample, I don’t foresee them using it.  It will be a bit weird at first, but with the right mix of music cues, I don’t think it will be as jarring as we think it might be.

I think they’ll add noise, even if it’s obviously fake. It doesn’t have to make sense. TPIR is a high-energy show by nature. Your brain is so used to hearing applause, it would be weirder “not” to have it.

Jimmy Kimmel’s Millionaire with like 10 crew members clapping off-screen was jarring. It made sense under the circumstances, but it still sounded weird.

OTOH, when Live with Ryan and Kelly was being done via Zoom, from their homes, with audience noises piped in, it sounded “normal”, even though it was obviously fake and it made no logical sense to have it. Or Seinfeld having a laugh track when they’re shooting outside and there’s obviously no audience. It’s just what your brain is conditioned to hear.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »
I'm going to make my official guess and say there won't be added audience noise.

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2020, 10:03:27 PM »
I imagine that the big doors will remain the same, though I have a feeling that the turntable will be extended to have the two showcase podiums spread apart.

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2020, 11:26:35 PM »
^ Perhaps, or the Showcase podiums could be set up at Contestants’ Row in place of the one-bid podiums (though this would make it difficult to use Door #4).
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2020, 09:24:49 PM »
I imagine that the big doors will remain the same, though I have a feeling that the turntable will be extended to have the two showcase podiums spread apart.

I wonder if they could simply do a wider shot. Heck, maybe even replace the podiums with one large desk with each contestant on both ends, and Drew in the middle?

I was also thinking about the new “Come on down!”... There seems to be a lot of space near the big screen behind contestant’s row. Maybe have the next contestant stand right next to the big screen with their name showing on the screen & a spotlight on them as they then walk up to their podium after George tells them to “Come on down?” I think that would work well.

Just a lot of possibilities. Very interested to see how this will play out considering how much they changed the set around.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »

The source of much controversy in FPG last season, I'd advise keeping a close eye on the social media accounts of the models if you want any sneak previews of what the set/games may ultimately end up looking like. They haven't posted too much from inside the studio, this is one of the better ones from a few days ago, but who knows what may be posted between now and 11/16.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
Calendar update! One month from today! https://www.priceisright.com/calendar/
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2020, 12:21:17 AM »
I was just looking at the calendar and it is not showing 86, 87,88.89,90?

Are they going to air them? Did something happen during taping that will cause them not to air?

Thanks

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2020, 12:23:08 AM »
TPIR always numbers their episodes so that they end in 1-5 (Monday is XXX1K, Tues is XXX2K, etc.) No XXX6-0 episodes should exist currently.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2020, 12:31:01 AM »
The FAQ has a very detailed explanation of how to read production numbers.

(Incidentally, I'm going to have to update that at some point to explain how the pandemic screwed up the numbering this year.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »
(Incidentally, I'm going to have to update that at some point to explain how the pandemic screwed up the numbering this year.)

:: sigh ::...  Just more proof the pandemic needs to go away.