Author Topic: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings  (Read 23383 times)

Offline billiamk

• In the Audience
Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings
« on: August 28, 2020, 04:42:14 PM »

PriceIsRightCasting.com redirects to a form on a Fremantle page.

Per the graphic, looks like tapings will be September 21 - November 2.
The form has information on upcoming special shows including breast cancer survivors, teachers, second chance prom, college/university, military and spouses/family, bride and groom, nurses and medical staff, expectant parents and Broadway fans.

Let the fun and speculation begin on how tapings could work this season.
Insert witty and/or creative signature here

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
Well, that was earlier than we expected.

If the current wait time between tape date and air date holds, these episodes won't air until around Thanksgiving. I don't see a vaccine by then, but maybe they do?

Whichever way this goes, it will be pure speculation for now as you said, but consider me very interested to see how this plays out.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »
Even if there's a vaccine around that point, not much would get back to normal.  It'll take some time post-vaccine, so I imagine whatever protocols are happening now will continue in the short run.  If all goes well, then I guess we could see full capacity

I'm a little optimistic, but I think they would try to air the new episodes earlier than Thanksgiving week, possibly the week after the election.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works, but good or bad, I'm glad the show is moving forward toward a restart.  Even more, I like how there might be a special featuring nurses/medical staff (I think providers should definitely get honored).  Plus the second chance prom thing is a nice gesture; should be interesting
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 05:57:55 PM »
If the current wait time between tape date and air date holds, these episodes won't air until around Thanksgiving.

Not necessarily, as they can edit previous shows while new shows are taped; they do that all the time. In typical times, the time between an episode taping and that episode airing can be as little as two weeks. If we add a week to that due to COVID making editing more difficult, that still means that a show taped on September 21 could air October 12.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 06:09:25 PM »
Great news!  xlx

As long as its still most of the same great prizes, games, contestants, and cast, its still "The Price Is Right" to me. Situations like these are what MacKenzie machines are for, and we could see more travel trailers and motorhomes return as prizes instead of Around The World showcases for the time being. Hopefully TVC won't report any new positive cases that could halt taping, but otherwise, it will be good to experience some fresh episodes!

I'm all for a launch to coincide with the November sweeps to get things on track, and this has been a very hopeful week with news on the resumption of $100,00 Pyramid tapings along with announcements for the return of Card Sharks as well as the first revival of Supermarket Sweep in nearly 20 years.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »
Not necessarily, as they can edit previous shows while new shows are taped; they do that all the time. In typical times, the time between an episode taping and that episode airing can be as little as two weeks. If we add a week to that due to COVID making editing more difficult, that still means that a show taped on September 21 could air October 12.
Bob's last show turned around in nine days.  Yes, I know, different time, different methodology of taping.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
Wow, I'm legitimately shocked that taping is coming back so soon.

Don't get me wrong, this is some great news in a not-so-great time and I'm sure a very robust plan has been put in place to ensure the health of everyone involved, but I thought we would have to have a vaccine available to the public or very close to it before we could even think about taping such a crowd dependent show.

As for speculation, I think that the biggest thing that they might try to implement is having the same audience for multiple non-special tapings. I know it's been done on a small scale in the past and it would be a long time commitment of contestant, but cutting the amount of different people in the studio in half helps that much more.

All that said, I have high hopes and can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
Given the casting call, well, even exists, I highly doubt they're going to have an audience, or at least not one of any appreciable size. I have no inside info, but the casting call shows the usual eligibility requirements, which leads me to believe Fremantle will be using that to pre-select contestants instead of calling them down from a crowd.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
If the current wait time between tape date and air date holds, these episodes won't air until around Thanksgiving.
I always like to bring this up because it was so weird, but we've seen a 1 day turnaround. Back when Osama Bin-Laden was killed, Price was scheduled to tape a special episode for Armed Forces Week the following day. CBS made the decision to film that episode and air it the following day. There was also a turnaround of 2 or 3 days when Drew was on DWTS and they wanted to promote it and have his dancing partner Cheryl on as a guest model.

Also, I don't think they're doing this because they foresee a vaccine in the immediate future. I think they're doing it because they have seen that other game show productions have put together protocols that make filming safe for the cast, crew, and contestants. Wheel, J!, Family Feud, Card Sharks, Supermarket Sweep, Millionaire and Pyramid have all begun or finished filming episodes for upcoming seasons. Weakest Link will be starting soon and ready to premiere at the end of September (hopefully).

I wonder if they'll invite nine people and do a social distant audience with the extra long Contestant's Row or if they'll revert to Davidson style and call six people straight on stage. Will be an interesting watch, but I guess they really want to get back to work because things aren't going to change for a while.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 10:21:07 PM »
One wonders if they'll follow the path stadiums seem to have and fill unused seats with cardboard cutouts--which, as long as they'd have their families' permission, might be a way to get Johnny Olson and Rod Roddy back to the studio, as it were, by putting cutouts of them close to contestants' row. 

The good news at present is that we now have about 4 vaccines candidates in the final phase of testing, with perhaps the same amount of others close to that point.  They of course should not be rushed, as we need to make absolutely sure anything that does hit the market is completely safe and effective, but I think simple odds hold that at least one of them should be (and if the rest are as well, no need to stop development after the first one's available, as the more different types we get out there the better).  So I think the best case scenario might be that we have at least one vaccine ready for the public by December/January, with about 3-4 thereafter before we'd see solid case declines.  If we're doubly lucky, by that point we'd be seeing either the early stages of herd immunity beginning, the virus starting to mutate into a more benign form much like the coronavirus strains that cause the common cold, or both.  All we can do till then is hope for the best. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 11:10:56 PM »
Well it's certainly a surprise to see a casting call for upcoming tapings already. Very interested to see how they're going to put the show together and how big of an audience beyond those selected from the call there will be each show.

So pretty much the same theme shows we've been having the past few years with a few new ones-- Nurses/medical staff is great to see. Second Chance Prom is an odd one, wonder where that idea came from. Broadway fans is odd also with theatres closed through at least the end of 2020.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
Somehow I feel kind of iffy about the casting forms, considering it is Formstock site.  Plus the picture currently doesn't show any taping dates or airdates.

I also learned somewhere that Price does not do casting calls.

Could the forms be a scam or something?

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 12:16:34 PM »
Buzzerblog wouldn't tweet it out if it was a scam.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 01:21:49 PM »
I also learned somewhere that Price does not do casting calls.

Maybe that was true in the Barker era, but ever since the new production staff took over ten years ago they occasionally travel east and do an open casting call in a mall or something. They'd pick two people to send to California for a taping, one of which was guaranteed to Come on Down.

Besides that, COVID means anything that resembles "normal casting procedure" can be thrown out the window. These aren't normal times.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »
Well this is interesting, considering Newsome just issued his reopening plan for CA, and the wording within makes it sound like Price ain't going back to tape for a goodly while
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)