Author Topic: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings  (Read 23382 times)

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »
So pretty much the same theme shows we've been having the past few years with a few new ones-- Nurses/medical staff is great to see. Second Chance Prom is an odd one, wonder where that idea came from. Broadway fans is odd also with theatres closed through at least the end of 2020.

Perhaps the Broadway one would use some well known performers in place of the usual models, as a way to allow a handful to be seen by fans, since they are unable to be in their shows?

Not sure on the prom one if they are looking for people who are older or maybe those who just graduated this year (and are already 18, as many would be) as a way to give them something they missed out on during this?

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
That could make sense, since there may be a likelihood that none of the five models may be available, or do you suppose they chose to resign or may have been laid off because of possible budget cuts?

If this is the case, I think what would be considered "regular models" this upcoming season might end up being Melissa Ordway and other celebrities from CBS programming.

Keep in mind that if this is going to be Season 49, there may be almost 220 episodes to produce.  When Season 29 occurred, there were a greater number of episodes to produce, and because of budget cuts, 3 Strikes only had three playings that season (first playing in February 2001), plus Janice and Kathleen were both terminated before Christmas week in 2000.  If budget cuts were the reason for Janice and Kathleen's terminations, do not be surprised if Rachel, Amber, and other models get laid off this time.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 03:32:26 PM »
If budget cuts were the reason for Janice and Kathleen's terminations
Which they weren't.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »
Somehow I feel kind of iffy about the casting forms, considering it is Formstock site.  Plus the picture currently doesn't show any taping dates or airdates.

I also learned somewhere that Price does not do casting calls.

Could the forms be a scam or something?
A casting call like this is the best solution to being able to do the show without a full audience.

Not sure on the prom one if they are looking for people who are older or maybe those who just graduated this year (and are already 18, as many would be) as a way to give them something they missed out on during this?
That's true, I didn't think about proms being cancelled because of Covid this year. In that case it would be a nice theme show for recent high school graduates as a way of allowing them to have a "prom."

The Broadway show is still puzzling to me though since Broadway is a New York City thing other than the shows that do traveling performances and ones like Hamilton that have a huge following. I could definitely see a Broadway theme making sense if the show taped in NYC.

That could make sense, since there may be a likelihood that none of the five models may be available, or do you suppose they chose to resign or may have been laid off because of possible budget cuts?
I'm assuming there won't be more than 2 models on a show at a time because of COVID restrictions and safety, but I wouldn't assume that any of them resigned or will resign or were laid off.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:56:33 PM by JayC »

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 04:50:42 PM »
Two models per show has been the norm for some years now.  Unless there will be the same two models for the entire season, in which case I could see Manuela and one of the male models likely being candidates.

However, I wonder if they could be recording the entire season over the period of September 21 through November 2?  I believe an average season of a syndicated game show takes less time to produce.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »

However, I wonder if they could be recording the entire season over the period of September 21 through November 2?  I believe an average season of a syndicated game show takes less time to produce.

It’s definitely possible. Hence why I said in another thread that I could see them getting a group of people to be contestants for a large chunk of the season (if not, the whole season) and having them be in the audience for far more than one episode so that they can get regularly tested for COVID.

So kind of like old game shows like Jackpot! that had the same group of contestants on for pretty long. It would be unique to TPiR but I think that it would still work really well.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 05:10:11 PM »
Two models per show has been the norm for some years now.  Unless there will be the same two models for the entire season, in which case I could see Manuela and one of the male models likely being candidates.
Yes I meant to say that 2 models is the usual now.

Having the same contestants for a chuck of shows would be interesting. Given how many theme shows were listed plus regular shows, I'm guessing they're intending on taping a large portion of shows in the timeframe given and it's possible they'll use the same audience for at least some amount of them.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 11:21:39 PM »
When Season 29 occurred, there were a greater number of episodes to produce

No, there weren't.

It is painfully obvious that you know only the vaguest details of the things you're trying to pontificate about.  Please just...don't do this.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
It’s definitely possible. Hence why I said in another thread that I could see them getting a group of people to be contestants for a large chunk of the season (if not, the whole season) and having them be in the audience for far more than one episode so that they can get regularly tested for COVID.

So kind of like old game shows like Jackpot! that had the same group of contestants on for pretty long. It would be unique to TPiR but I think that it would still work really well.

Syndicated Jackpot! taped 10+ episodes a day but the most I'm aware Price has taped in one day is 3 episodes. 

I don't think you are going to be successful getting anybody but huge fans to sign up for game show jury duty where they come back every day for a week. I would imagine you would also see a pretty extreme drop in enthusiasm over time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:37:21 AM by Flerbert419 »
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 04:34:14 PM »

Syndicated Jackpot! taped 10+ episodes a day but the most I'm aware Price has taped in one day is 3 episodes. 

I don't think you are going to be successful getting anybody but huge fans to sign up for game show jury duty where they come back every day for a week. I would imagine you would also see a pretty extreme drop in enthusiasm over time.

Obviously there would be a limit on how many shows could tape with one set of people (number they have in the audience / 9 = number of possible shows before everyone has been a contestant). 

On the other hand, you might get more people than you'd expect to go for a full week of tapings (say 2 per day - total of 10 x 9 contestants = 90 people picked out of the group that could easily be less than the normal full audience, which is a far better chance of being chosen than you'd get any other time).

Not sure just how that would work with the special shows though, although some of the groups could film non-special episodes with the same people easily - teachers for instance.  Others would be harder to not have the "special" thing known (like the expecting parents or military if in uniform).

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »

As you said, Price tapes 2-3 episode per day. So a full week would only take two days which wouldn’t be bad I think. Enthusiasm would definitely not be the same for the later episodes BUT if they had a format where all members were deemed “appropriate to be contestants”, and they were picked at random to all win as much as they could during that week, then I think they would still be pretty excited. Budget would be similar—it’s just that a contestant can possibly win more since they would be on for more than an episode.

I don’t know though—just interested in seeing how this plays out. They definitely need to be unique/creative.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
You have to think they'll be able to film more than 3 episodes in a day now. With no audience to come in and out, they already have the 9 casted so as soon as a game is done they put it away bring out the next and keep filming.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2020, 12:49:50 AM »
You have to think they'll be able to film more than 3 episodes in a day now. With no audience to come in and out, they already have the 9 casted so as soon as a game is done they put it away bring out the next and keep filming.

Yeah, I think they could do a week’s worth within a day if they wanted to.

Heck, maybe that’s what they have in mind now that I’m thinking about it. The taping schedule of late September - early November is about 40 days. 40 days -> 40 weeks of episodes to cover 2021 until the fall? Could definitely fit.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 01:25:19 AM »
There is a significant difference between taping a show where the set never changes and the camera blocking is the same in every episode and taping a show where a wide assortment of large set pieces are changed between every single act.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
There is a significant difference between taping a show where the set never changes and the camera blocking is the same in every episode and taping a show where a wide assortment of large set pieces are changed between every single act.

So by your estimation what would you say is the maximum number of shows they could produce in one day?