Author Topic: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings  (Read 23393 times)

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »
With everything happening in the world right now I think everyone wants a sense of normalcy. The show definitely has to adapt to COVID-19 safety measures in order to be permitted to produce new shows, but they also need to keep things as normal as they can or they'll lose the essence of The Price is Right. They should really find a way to keep the intro recognizable - even if it's by creating a montage of previous intros over the years with the music cue and "Come on Down". I'm mostly concerned that they make COVID accommodation changes and figure they're good enough and just carry them over into the show when things get back to normal down the road (2021?).
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2020, 06:14:47 AM »
It’s possible some accommodations/adaptations will be deemed ok to carry over. Keep an open mind. Beyond which, we have no idea when something resembling the previous normal will be.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2020, 11:08:33 PM »
Quick update in this ever evolving world:

It turns out that there will be NO AUDIENCE after all. Tapings start September 28th.
does that mean the 30 people in the audience for 3 tapings a day is out?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
does that mean the 30 people in the audience for 3 tapings a day is out?

Good question.  It could be a change, or just that there won't be anyone else besides those participating (which 30 makes sense, just in case of last minute substitutes needed).

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2020, 12:11:33 AM »
Quick update in this ever evolving world:

It turns out that there will be NO AUDIENCE after all. Tapings start September 28th.

Ok, now that’s just gonna be friggen weird, and while I’m morbidly curious about how they will make this work, I’m not actually sure I want to see it. Maybe have a wall of monitors with people on them as the audience similar to how the WWE and the NBA do it now?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2020, 12:39:16 AM »
Maybe have a wall of monitors with people on them as the audience similar to how the WWE and the NBA do it now?
If it goes anything like what WWE is going through, then having monitors would actually be worse than having no audience at all.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2020, 02:20:36 AM »
If it goes anything like what WWE is going through, then having monitors would actually be worse than having no audience at all.

I'm quite frankly sick to death of anything virtual only at this point, let alone live crowds being replaced by that. I'll never ever accept that as normal, because it's just not.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »
I am too...but one thing everyone has to start accepting is that this will be like this for some time. And the normal we had seven months ago...is probably coming back. At the same time, i am cautiously optimistic that the team at price will do something great until they can get back to partial, and later, full audiences.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2020, 08:11:14 PM »

If they resort to using monitors, hopefully CBS/Fremantle will do a much better job preventing stuff like what we have seen in WWE from happening.
I support The Price is Right.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
If they resort to using monitors, hopefully CBS/Fremantle will do a much better job preventing stuff like what we have seen in WWE from happening.

The major difference would be the fact that Price is prerecorded, so they could easily edit out undesirable audience activities in post. WWE is broadcasting live.

Also wrestling fans are... a different bunch.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
During each break, they bring in the next contestant from outside, so on TV, the new contestant is already there when the commercial is over.

They could still have the "come on downs," but instead of from their seat in the audience the contestant will be coming in from outside the studio, the way Bob used to make audience entrances.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:21 PM »
I have a feeling whatever they’ve come up with will be totally outside the norm of what we’re used to — so much so that there may not even be a “come on down” element to the show.  If I’m the producer, and we’re only limited to having 10, maybe 20 people in the entire studio at a given time, are we going to continue with the same formula that will make the lack of an audience a glaring difference compared to normal?  Or do we take this season and make something completely original with it, even if we’ll be reverting back to the previous format perhaps as early as later this season?  I’d imagine CBS and Fremantle are giving them a ton of leeway to just make something work so they can stop airing reruns.  Why not experiment?  It won’t hurt right now — and heck, maybe they’ll accidentally stumble upon something that works and is worth continuing once the show can fully go back to normal.  Who knows?
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2020, 11:46:24 PM »
Why are people so adverse to seeing an empty audience?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »
Why are people so adverse to seeing an empty audience?

I...never said I was adverse to seeing an empty audience.  But I’m also not in charge of producing the show.  If I was, I might be looking for alternatives to showing an empty audience on a show where the audience plays such an important role.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2020, 10:15:45 PM »
They could go back to 1972 and kill the house lights.  Then you can't see the lack of an audience.  In fact, the chase lights and "Door 4" would look pretty awesome in the dark.

You can still call the next contestant on down; they could be standing at the top of the stairs, and then on cue enter the back of the studio.  Then a spotlight follows them down the aisle of the dark audience to Contestant's Row.

They can make it work, it's a matter of how creative they want to be.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.