Author Topic: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings  (Read 23378 times)

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Price Is Right Casting and Resumption of Tapings
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2020, 11:23:12 PM »
Would it be appropriate for daytime, though? Maybe primetime, but I just don’t feel it would look right in daytime, for some reason.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:17 PM »
I don't even think it would fit in Primetime.  Not today.  Maybe 50 years ago, or, if it happened today, it would have to be evenings on syndication.  Price is so not moving to late night, but it could work late at night.

As mentioned, at the end of the day, it'll come down to how creative they are.  Personally, I'll be fine with what they'll end up doing.  I'll admire some things and dislike others, but I'll understand and respect the show for trying to do everything they can to operate during a pandemic
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
I wouldn’t see how they couldn’t do the standard “come on down”: just go the MLB route and fill the audience with cardboard cutouts from the contestants who didn’t get selected.  For the “come on down”, send the next contestant out to a random part of audience before the cameras roll.  Cue Drew asking “who’s the next contestant?”, cut to George calling the next contestant, then do a late cut to the contestant “coming on down” when they get to the aisle (like some shows during the 1970s).  For the first 4 “come on down”, just station the contestants throughout the studio and hold shots on the previous contestant until the next contestant is in the aisle.  Done properly and fast enough, it should blend in smoothly enough and still seem like the regular show.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
What about when only that handful of people are cheering or even showing energy? Especially since the MLB shows the fake crowds from a distance.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:46:24 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »
There is no magic solution that someone won’t take issue with. The world has changed for now, perhaps for quite some time to come. There is no reason the team won’t take all factors into consideration and do the best they can within the parameters they have to face.

Audiences are intelligent enough to understand change. A few squeaky wheels, and there will be some, doesn’t change that most of us can shrug things off as just the necessity of the times. Cardboard cutouts, video walls...they all have their pros and cons.

If dimming the lights is what they come up with, fine. If fully illuminated empty chairs are what they come up with, fine. If completely rethinking how things are staged and shot is what they come up with, fine. If an army of sentient robots filling seats is that they come up with, fine. It’s going to be messy and imperfect just like so much else in daily life for so many people.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
So my friend just got a casting interview for Let's Make a Deal. The producers told him that they will be doing the next season with about 10 audience members in-studio, and some games will be played with remote contestants. He was also told that Price is not casting anyone outside of SoCal, so it looks like they're going to stick to doing everything in person.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
Drew has said on an Athletic podcast (sorry, behind paywall) tapings resume October 4th, no audience. Timestamp: 36:30

https://theathletic.com/podcast/25-starkville/?episode=66
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:31:54 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2020, 08:38:33 PM »
Interesting. So this will be the first time since 1965 that Price will go without contestants being picked from the audience.

Icon by Siahri!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2020, 09:53:15 PM »
Personally, in my opinion, returning champions (or returning contestants in general) would be a nice thing.  I'm not typically a fan of it, but given the nature of things and the limitations, I can't say that would be a big deal.  Didn't hurt in the original PIR

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Personally, in my opinion, returning champions (or returning contestants in general) would be a nice thing.  I'm not typically a fan of it, but given the nature of things and the limitations, I can't say that would be a big deal.  Didn't hurt in the original PIR

Well it's been done in Australia in the 80's under this format.....(sans a different showcase), so could maybe work...be weird but it could work?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2020, 10:24:13 PM »
returning champions (or returning contestants in general) would be a nice thing.  I'm not typically a fan of it
You must really hate Jeopardy! then.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2020, 10:49:39 PM »
You must really hate Jeopardy! then.

Nope!  Quite the opposite.  Actually, I think I would hate Jeopardy if they went with a one-and-done format.

In the past I've discussed the nature of returning champions on various gameshows.  They work for some, but not for others (they're good for certain gameshows, not all of them.

Given I grew up in the Barry/Enright era, I admire the "Play Until Someone Beats You" returning champions format.  It's a nice story for someone to retire undefeated, but I've often been curious to see whether or not someone (or a team/family) is that invincible

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2020, 11:02:53 PM »
Drew has said on an Athletic podcast (sorry, behind paywall) tapings resume October 4th, no audience. Timestamp: 36:30

https://theathletic.com/podcast/25-starkville/?episode=66
The Podcast is on Spotify as well.

Offline swoodworth1977

• Outside in Line
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »
A link would be nice.  I'd like to hear it.

All this said, "necessity breeds invention".  Regardless of opinion, these folks are experts in their field.  They'll figure out what they can do to keep things as close to "normal" as possible while still following regulatory rules and not to mention taking into account the public's personal differences of opinion on what "safe" means. 

I'm pretty impressed with Wheel's and Jeopardy's alterations.  I realize Price isn't the same format, but their formats are completely adaptable.

Offline RatRace10