Author Topic: What constitutes a "perfect show" on other shows besides Price?  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Re: What constitutes a "perfect show" on other shows besides Price?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »
-Press Your Luck: No Whammies are landed on at all

Imagine a universe where for whatever reason, Michael Larson never gets fatigued and keeps going in perpetuity, racking up millions, going into all hours of the night, they’re forced to suspend taping at some point because of Union rules and pick up again the next day. It finally ends when CBS sends their lawyer out to reach a settlement with him to stop.  :lol:

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 07:36:55 PM »
And even with Price, a true perfect show isn't likely to ever happen either, because it'd mean perfect bids in EVERY one bid, all 6 winners of said bids win $26,000 (or $11,000/at least $1,000 pre-bonus spin) on the wheel, and both showcases to be won in addition to the 6 games being won themselves.

Almost - the two showcase contestants need to tie in DSW range so that they each win both showcases.

This series of events (taking everything to the extreme and never going to happen) needs a name. A pluperfect show?
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 08:11:15 PM »
Almost - the two showcase contestants need to tie in DSW range so that they each win both showcases.

This series of events (taking everything to the extreme and never going to happen) needs a name. A pluperfect show?

Touche, didn't even think of that, though felt maybe I was missing something. Thanks for that. And how about an ultimate perfect show?

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 08:34:28 PM »
Now, would it be a perfect show if each player won the Winner's Circle, or would the same person have to win the Winner's Circle twice and win the top announced prize for a show to be perfect?

In the current version, a perfect show could mean one person in each half of the hour-long show getting 21 points, winning each tiebreaker, and winning the $150,000 in the Winner's Circle. Also, they would each need to win the Mystery 7 in order to win everything the show has to offer.
It could be either one or both players achieving this. I never stated outright that it would have to be the same person, even though the top prize would be awarded in that case. In addition to the Mystery 7, you'd also have to win the 7-11 on Dick Clark's show, which is something I wish they brought back for the current edition.

Also, I meant to clarify that on Donny Osmond's short-lived version, you could only play up to 18 points per round, so 36 would be the maximum achievable amount.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
The 7-11 and Mystery 7 would both be won by default within a perfect Pyramid show, unless I'm forgetting something.

On Price, a "perfect show" is a good thing that a producer might intentionally aim for once in a while. It's good to see lots of people winning things, especially if it's a special episode. Plus Bob usually made a big show of calling it out and making a big deal out of it so that you as a viewer were trained to look for it. Nobody "loses", the only real downside is the budget hit.

On most other game shows, especially competitive ones, a "perfect show" as defined by these examples is a bad thing from a producer's perspective. You don't want shutouts to happen too often. Nor do you want the game to appear too easy or too one-sided. If no Whammies are hit in a PYL episode, for example, it may mean the producers need to allow for more spins and put more Whammies on the board. If a Family Feud shutout happens more than once in a blue moon, it may mean the producers need to schedule some tougher surveys to give more teams a chance to steal.

As much as I love the occasional rout (game shows and even sports), probably more often most at the very least, I have to agree I like the competitive nature of everything.  Otherwise you'd risk losing an audience.  The main problem I have with a competitive game is the common upset (or a valid mistake that would cost the favored team the game).  A couple examples include Match Game & Family Feud. 

I probably shouldn't have an issue with the Feud, but sometimes I hate when they sabotage the third question whenever a family wins both of the first two questions.  That method helps to avoid a quick rout, but the problem is the family that should've won after three rounds could lose outright for possibly missing the 4th question (going 3-1 before Sudden Death)

In Match Game, if it's a close game, you could give a great response for the celebrities to match, but you only get 5 of 6, whereas your opponent that you dominated "back-doors" into a win (getting 6/6 or 5/6 plus winning the tiebreaker)

Similar to perfect games, the painful losses are rare, but I'd prefer to have a safety net if I were the better participant.  If it's a competitive game and both players/teams are equal, then, for me, it's different
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 02:37:48 AM »
The 7-11 and Mystery 7 would both be won by default within a perfect Pyramid show, unless I'm forgetting something.

Not in one of his ideas of a perfect show (in which one contestant specifically is perfect all the way through). In this, it could be possible for one or both bonuses to not be won, if their opponent picked them and failed to get them.