Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy Return  (Read 22972 times)

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
Wheel and Jeopardy Return
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »
Just watched both the Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune season premieres.  I like the set changes they made to enforce social distancing (including the "white things" used to spin the wheel!  :oldlol:)

Interesting to note that since Jeopardy is limiting contestants to only those from Southern California that the returning champion from last season is not able to return.

What other things did those of you who watched notice about either show?

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Wheel and Jeopardy Return
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 10:37:52 PM »
I noticed on Wheel that the board is more zoomed in now, and that they're not really caring anymore about whether the sides of the board get cut off if you're still watching Wheel on a 4:3 TV in 2020.

It was interesting, though expected, how much Jeopardy! acknowledged the circumstances while Wheel basically breezed right by them and kept acknowledgement of it to an absolute minimum. I doubt we'll hear Pat ever say words like "covid", "virus", "quarantine", or "social distancing" (although he did say "distancing requirements"), since it seems like Wheel tries to keep everything, even the puzzles, as positive as possible.

The Bonus Round looked so different seeing Pat actually grab the envelope for himself and standing at the Bonus Wheel instead of at the "mark", and everyone standing apart during the credits. But at least Pat and Vanna can still walk out together. The new Wheel overhead shots also will take some getting used to. I'm so used to seeing the adjacent podiums in the shot.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »
I DVRed Jeopardy! to watch later so I could fast-forward past the political attack ads the local station here runs during it. (Candidates: tell me what you're going to do for us, not what you think your opponent is going to do to us.)
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
Wheel is also limiting contestants to SoCal as well. They did give away a trip to a country that's still on the quarantine list though for the Prize Puzzle last night (The Bahamas). I believe they have until the end of 2022 to claim this, however, and we SHOULD have some vaccine by then based on current tests, even if it turns out to be one that will require periodic injections like the flu. I'd just wish that they would have either all-domestic or even some non-trip prize puzzles like "SHOP 'TIL YOU DROP" for a special shopping spree or "REFURBISHING MY COTTAGE" for maid services for a year. Otherwise, likely due to the concerns, the feel is "post-Harry" than Mike so far, as I was hoping that the Triple Toss Up would be dropped, and this even impacts little things like having team shows since the interviews eat up a lot of time like the extra tossups do.

I like Jeopardy!'s slightly freshened set, and its great to see the globe back with the show's logo this year. Alex did mention though that Zack Newkirk would be back in a few weeks, and when he finally does, it will bring perhaps the final ever episode with co-champions, with a lot at stake for Zack being just one win away from a ToC berth. Of course, like Wheel's zoomed in puzzleboard, having a 4:3 monitor will cut off two of the podiums.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:51:38 PM »
It doesn't cut off anything - those older sets can be set to fit the picture to the screen (via the converter boxes needed to get digital signals on non digital TV sets).

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
It was interesting, though expected, how much Jeopardy! acknowledged the circumstances while Wheel basically breezed right by them and kept acknowledgement of it to an absolute minimum. I doubt we'll hear Pat ever say words like "covid", "virus", "quarantine", or "social distancing" (although he did say "distancing requirements"), since it seems like Wheel tries to keep everything, even the puzzles, as positive as possible.

I’m okay with how both shows chose to address the pandemic (or not).   You want to address the audience to touch base on what’s going on & how they’ll proceed during the restrictions & tough times.  On the other hand, it doesn’t hurt to proceed with life & business.  I don’t see it as ignoring the issue, but just trying to make the best of a situation as much as possible.  To make reference to what Stuart Scott said in 2014, live and operate on your terms as opposed to those of a pandemic (doing so within state & local guidelines of course).

I have to get around to watching the show again, as there was a football conflict so I couldn’t focus on the shows exclusively without conflict.  So far, I think the changes are okay.  Makes me wonder how Family Feud will look whenever that comes back.  OT: I believe FF was slated to start its 22nd season in addition to Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune.  I don’t know the status of the Feud as there have been no updates anywhere since the beginning of August.

I hope the ability to claim one’s trips is extended beyond 2022.   Maybe make it indefinite (or permanent).  Sure, there may be a vaccine by then, but it typically takes several years before there’s complete trust and normalcy.  I think the fastest turnaround was about 4 years.  I hope we can get close to normal sooner at the very least
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
Jeopardy continues to look sharp and on top of its game. Wheel looks old, tired and phoning it in.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »
Jeopardy continues to look sharp and on top of its game. Wheel looks old, tired and phoning it in.
Well what else should Wheel do? If they spent all that time upgrading Jeopardy!'s set, they didn't have time to do much to Wheel. Aside from the aesthetics, it doesn't really feel like either show's changed much from Harry Friedman so I don't see why Jeopardy! is suddenly a vast improvement but Wheel isn't.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »
I like Jeopardy!'s slightly freshened set, and its great to see the globe back with the show's logo this year. Alex did mention though that Zack Newkirk would be back in a few weeks, and when he finally does, it will bring perhaps the final ever episode with co-champions, with a lot at stake for Zack being just one win away from a ToC berth.

Not necessarily. There's always the chance of someone unable to make a taping as champ. That does still happen from time to time.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
Well what else should Wheel do? If they spent all that time upgrading Jeopardy!'s set, they didn't have time to do much to Wheel. Aside from the aesthetics, it doesn't really feel like either show's changed much from Harry Friedman so I don't see why Jeopardy! is suddenly a vast improvement but Wheel isn't.

I was a little surprised to see less changes to either show format wise (Though with Jeopardy, what can you really do? The game is what it is, any changes there would have to be much more aesthetically than anything else, lest you ruin what makes it what it is at its' core.), but given the times we're in and the fact that Mike literally just took both over, it will take some time to see big changes I imagine. To be all at once right off the bat would be too jarring, anything they do change will be gradual I suspect.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
One thing I noticed is there is a new executive producer for both shows. I won’t say his name, but I will say the Price must’ve been Right for him to take up the offer. My hope is that he’ll be able to modernize the wheel set over time. I know the wheel banister has had updates here and there, but there’s not been any major changes since 2003!
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »
One thing I noticed is there is a new executive producer for both shows. I won’t say his name, but I will say the Price must’ve been Right for him to take up the offer. My hope is that he’ll be able to modernize the wheel set over time. I know the wheel banister has had updates here and there, but there’s not been any major changes since 2003!

In 2010 they changed the actual generic set to what it is now

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 08:09:31 PM »
Just an update on Jeopardy front.....they appear to be showing various moments from over the years in each intro they do. Tonight's had different ones from last night. I'm guessing that will continue as such going forward. I like it, it's neat way to look back at its' history throughout the course of the season.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »
The Jeopardy set looks really nice overall, the only thing I'm not crazy about is the new look for the monitor next to Alex that shows the Final Jeopardy category. The new graphics are a bit underwhelming though, and I was really hoping the globe in the logo meant they were bringing back the rolling ball intro. Tonight was Ken Jennings' first category clue read, we'll see down the line if he really is there to be groomed as Alex's successor.

The new contestant podium on Wheel looks nice, but it does make the wheel look pretty small. The "white thing" is just weird, they should've found a better solution for contestants not actually touching the wheel. Also quite odd seeing Pat stand at the bonus round wheel behind the contestant rather than next to her/him now because of social distancing.

I'm guessing there won't be any major changes on either show this season, and possibly not while the current hosts are still there. I do think Mike will modernize things soon enough, but for right now he's just getting his feet wet and the priority for both shows is just to have them filming and keeping everyone safe.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 12:24:50 AM »
The Jeopardy set looks really nice overall, the only thing I'm not crazy about is the new look for the monitor next to Alex that shows the Final Jeopardy category. The new graphics are a bit underwhelming though, and I was really hoping the globe in the logo meant they were bringing back the rolling ball intro. Tonight was Ken Jennings' first category clue read, we'll see down the line if he really is there to be groomed as Alex's successor.

I actually think he could be there as a defacto clue crew stand in, since they can't do that currently. That he's got the past history with the show and could potentially be a successor to Alex may be coincidence. But time will tell. I was kinda thinking they mighta changed the Final Jeopardy music to what was used during the GOAT tournament in January, was I the only one? It'd been years since they last changed it, so would be about due time I think for that.