Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy Return  (Read 22980 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Wheel and Jeopardy Return
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 12:07:16 PM »
Thinking about it, I’m less interested in how Wheel presents their changes, which seem fine, as the fact that the show is just tired.

I'm hoping that Mike Richards does SOMETHING. It needs a refresh- from the puzzles, to the lopsided wheel amounts, and the prize offerings.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:15:03 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »
Now that I agree with. Why are they still offering trips? It was said somewhere that Wheel switch to trips only because that's what Harry Friedman wanted. They do occasionally offer shopping sprees, but only as the Prize Wedge and never the Prize Puzzle.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
First and foremost, you really do not need to come at me the way you did.
But the show's puzzles for the last few years have tended to stay away from most references in the last decade or so. There's almost no reference to current events,

Come on; the annual [INSERT FOOTBALL TEAM HERE] ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS and space news like MOON LANDING FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY in Headline, the category for current events, isn't enough for you?   :P

I'll continue to jokingly advocate for bringing back the $175 as a pseudo-penalty space and a retro callback if it allows us to bring back the $1,000. But I'm not in the director's seat, so there isn't anything I can do. I echo urbanpreppie0004's sentiments.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
The wheel grippers are the least of the issues. They are a far more reasonable approach than gloves for reasons stated, or editing out someone sanitizing the wheel after each spin.

I understand budgets are real, but if I had a magic endless bank account, I’d begin with updating the wheel’s look. The font is so incredibly stale at this point.

And yeah, within reason sprinkle some more money into the values. Those long stretches where the only suspense is whether the player will land on 5, 6 or 7 hundred are boring as heck.

And the set. Blech. The video wall showing some image of whatever the theme is for the week comes across like a half-a—ed, cheap newscast backdrop. And it ties into the long past the point of being interesting set of the week. This many years in, it’s got all the freshness of spoiled milk. But it points to the bigger issue: it’s a fairly simplistic word game, and throwing random c—p on the set is one of the few ways to cover that weakness.

The puzzles are either wildly outdated, not remotely commonly used or stretching the category to the limit. Maybe all of the above on a bad day.

I have great respect for Mike Richards and how he updated Price and Deal. With Jeopardy, I suspect he is smart enough to continue the path they’ve been on with regard to gradual, periodic tweaks. But Jeopardy at its core remains solid. Wheel doesn’t have that advantage, nor the greater space to work with like Price and Deal. He has his work cut out for him.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 01:24:38 PM »
About the font, it’s been used since the beginning. That’s like if Jeopardy! updated its clue font from Korrina. Agree with the rest though.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »
Totally understand the font has been there all along. But that shouldn’t, to me, make something sacrosanct. The world evolves, logos and styles evolve. To me, every element should be on the table.

And yeah, I know some people held long grudges about moving from turning letters to the screens. And the shopping. God help us, the shopping.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
Actually, the font on the Wheel did evolve. It used to be more "bulgy". In 2003, it become more "sleek" to what it is now. Not a huge change, but it did change.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »
First and foremost, you really do not need to come at me the way you did.
Second- the white thing (as Pat as said) look ridiculous. They could have done so many other things- gloves or hand sanitizer (and easily edited them using it out) and decided not to. Other sources have even commented on how they look: https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/wheel-of-fortune-season-38-covid-19-changes.html
Third- When i meant the puzzles and addressing current events- i wasn't talking about COVID, not at all. But the show's puzzles for the last few years have tended to stay away from most references in the last decade or so. There's almost no reference to current events, modern pop culture, and the prize puzzle is something you can see from a mile away.

The only thing that surprised me (besides maybe Pat and Vanna still coming out together in the open, which I mighta guessed they'd not in some form, though I am not bothered by them doing it, gives show a more normal feeling than if they weren't), was the prize puzzle still being a trip. I'd have thought they'd change it right now at least, but they obviously didn't. Maybe as Mike Richards gets familiar with the show you may see more tweaks? He did it a lot with Price, so I'd be surprised if he didn't do any here eventually.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
I agree with most of you I think.  The “white thing” is the least problematic thing Wheel has going for it right now.  It never really has been appointment TV for me, (though my elderly parents watch it religiously).  But it’s not particularly visually interesting, and when 3/4 of the wheel spaces seem to be $550, even that part isn’t interesting.  I do hope Mike, if nothing else, varies up the prizes on offer and the wheel dollar values.

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »
I think he will.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 04:42:37 PM »
I get the whole concept of a prize puzzle, but it has become another tedious element. Mixing it up might be fun, if you could get away from the need to have the puzzle so closely link to the prize...which has led to countless variations of things about sand, sightseeing, relaxing, etc. Lower the value and maybe the outcomes become less predictable once that's solved.

And again with having no budget constraints in my imaginary world, but the cramming of sponsorships has rendered the whole idea of a $5000 space pointless. Contestants almost never spin in the fourth round, and Pat darn near never hits it. It's a glittery waste because the show plods along like a pack of Florida senior citizens driving their golf carts in a school zone.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
I don't pretend to be any sort of a regular Wheel watcher, but here's my wish list-slash-brainstorms for Mike Richards.

• Prize Puzzle needs to die. Killing it may require finding new travel sponsors, but if that's what it takes, do it. It is a total drag on the show and throws everything out of balance. You can still offer nice sponsored trips, but either 1) announce them as a regular prize wedge or 2) jack up their values to like $25K or so and put them on the bonus wheel.

• The Wheel Watchers club is a tougher issue, since the Spin ID and rewards program might be tied to other things Sony wants to do. Still, ditch it if possible, it eats up game time. If Sony mandates it stays, just designate round three the "Wheel Watchers" round and match the cash value of whatever is won in that round for a home viewer.

• Get weird with wheel values. I'm thinking:
    • a few $1,000 spaces, $1,500 spaces, etc. A string of six consecutive $500-$900 amounts is not exciting.
    • one or two $100 spaces, for kicks and giggles
    • Replace a trip or gift tag with the old "Surprise" space once in a while
    • Shake up the prize wedges--not everything needs to be a trip always
    • After the third round, scatter a few more $1,000, $1,500, $2,500 spaces around in addition to the $5,000 space--the whole final spin round is usually anticlamactic as soon as you know Pat won't hit the $5,000

• Raise the cost of vowels to $1,000--encourage contestants to think about their strategy a bit more and discourage "buy a vowel before solving" syndrome. Alternatively, cast smarter contestants.

• Cut toss-ups back. There's zero reason to be playing three $2,000 toss-ups in a row. If you absolutely MUST have at least three toss ups, play one before each of the first three rounds. Player in third place spins first in rounds 4-6 if applicable.

• Quietly get rid of the "$1,000 x the season number" minimum in the bonus round. The show throws around its prize budget like it's giving away free samples at Costco. A $38,000 win is not much more exciting than a $25,000 win, but it hits the budget 52% as hard. A wider range of bonus round prizes allows for easier bonus puzzles and more frequent wins.

• Since I'm in pipe dream territory, returning champions? Pretty please?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:28:44 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 10:53:54 PM »
One thing they could do to update things is make the wheel wedges digital, which would eliminate the contestants picking up the cardboard wedges and would allow for more variation on the amounts and different configurations each round. I'd rather have individual contestant backdrops again too rather than the video wall behind the contestants.

Cut toss-ups back. There's zero reason to be playing three $2,000 toss-ups in a row. If you absolutely MUST have at least three toss ups, play one before each of the first three rounds. Player in third place spins first in rounds 4-6 if applicable.
They didn't put the Triple Toss-Up in just for the sake of having more toss-ups. I believe the Triple Toss-Up began as a way to allow a trailing contestant to make up ground heading into round 4. The Prize Puzzle winner typically being the big winner is another issue, but the Triple Toss-Up helps by giving a contestant a chance to catch up by solving 2 or 3 of them.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 11:10:29 PM »
They didn't put the Triple Toss-Up in just for the sake of having more toss-ups. I believe the Triple Toss-Up began as a way to allow a trailing contestant to make up ground heading into round 4. The Prize Puzzle winner typically being the big winner is another issue, but the Triple Toss-Up helps by giving a contestant a chance to catch up by solving 2 or 3 of them.

You know, that's exactly what I thought too, but I only found like two examples of the outcome changing because a non Prize Puzzle winner, and ironically a few times where the Prize Puzzle winner won when they wouldn't have. I've taken the TTU as a way to shield the retirement of the 1/2 Car tags.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:52 PM »
Well, if they increased the amounts on the wheel, per gamesurf's suggestion, then the extra toss-ups wouldn't be needed.

I think I'm truly & definitely the only one for the following: If they got rid of the $1 Million part of the game, then I wouldn't lose sleep over it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck