Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy Return  (Read 22976 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Wheel and Jeopardy Return
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2020, 01:39:36 AM »
Ah....good point. Didn't think of that.

Makes sense.  Speaking of the 1997 move to electronic, it would've been interesting if the Bonus Wheel had preceded that move.  Maybe a ton of 3, 4, or 5 letter puzzles
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2020, 02:21:36 AM »
Makes sense.  Speaking of the 1997 move to electronic, it would've been interesting if the Bonus Wheel had preceded that move.  Maybe a ton of 3, 4, or 5 letter puzzles

That woulda been. Have they really done 3 letter puzzles much in bonus land? I can't recall any, now or even before. I can't even recall many 4 or 5 letter ones for that matter.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2020, 04:11:53 AM »
That woulda been. Have they really done 3 letter puzzles much in bonus land? I can't recall any, now or even before. I can't even recall many 4 or 5 letter ones for that matter.
The 4- and 5-letter ones were more of a thing in the 90s, primarily while Nancy Jones was still producer.

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2020, 05:29:02 AM »
Have they really done 3 letter puzzles much in bonus land?

Yes. Quite a few actually, but it was also a 90’s thing. This one comes to mind first.

One account even recalls AX as a puzzle.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2020, 04:19:41 PM »
"Three letters, you have to find them all."

"C, D, Z, (laugh), and, uh, (grinning) O."

*ding! ding! ding!*

I've seen some blatant puzzles giving a middle finger to the contestant, but I don't think I've ever seen a contestant laugh and give a subtle middle finger back. The way she laughed and put emphasis when calling "Z" and "O" was a delicious way to say "yeah, I know exactly what you're trying to pull here".
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2020, 04:40:24 PM »
It’s not that much different from Price where games like Lucky 7 are often setup to be an almost certain loss by having the price be $18,291. Wheel definitely sets up puzzles full of lots of uncommon letters to make it much less likely to win. If your final puzzle is “Oak Bureau”, then they probably didn’t want you to win.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
Yeah, but when that happens in Lucky Seven you never see a contestant smugly and confidently shout "Nine!" and "One!".
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2020, 05:37:40 PM »
In Lucky Seven there aren’t any categories either.  Obviously there are certain makes & models of their automobiles; no big comparison otherwise.  Speaking of categories…

If your final puzzle is “Oak Bureau”, then they probably didn’t want you to win.

It also doesn’t help when the producers have misleading categories for their Bonus Puzzles.  For instance, if the category is EVENT, unless you call out an A (and/or a K), you might not win if the puzzle is “Kayaking” since several assume the category to be an actual event and not something that might be a better fit for category What Are You Doing
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2020, 06:15:26 PM »
In Lucky Seven there aren’t any categories either.  Obviously there are certain makes & models of their automobiles; no big comparison otherwise.  Speaking of categories…

It also doesn’t help when the producers have misleading categories for their Bonus Puzzles.  For instance, if the category is EVENT, unless you call out an A (and/or a K), you might not win if the puzzle is “Kayaking” since several assume the category to be an actual event and not something that might be a better fit for category What Are You Doing

I wonder how they can get away with that........that seems to be kinda borderline cheating against the contestant no?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
There was a contestant that was invited back last season because of a misleading category in the bonus round, so it has been an issue at least once.

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
I know it's now in its third season now, but I'm still on the fence about letting the winner pick their bonus round category. I like it, but I don't. I feel as if it was put in as "change for the sake of change since it's a new season and we need a new 'gimmick.'" But, it could (and should) dispel the fact that they put in hard bonus round puzzles on the fly if the player lands on a high amount on the bonus wheel. (Which, by the way, that's still a thing that naysayers think have been happening for years, and you can't get them to change their mind no matter what facts you show them that proves them wrong.)
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
I like that you just assume that Mike Richards is standing there in the studio making the judge’s rulings.  Aren’t the people who make the rulings the same people who’ve been doing it for quite some time?

Harry Friedman was the chief judge and final arbiter on J! when he was executive producer. (He was there in the studio for every taping, sitting at the table.) There is no reason to think Mike does not also fill that role now that he has taken Harry's place.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2020, 05:37:36 PM »
I know it's now in its third season now, but I'm still on the fence about letting the winner pick their bonus round category. I like it, but I don't. I feel as if it was put in as "change for the sake of change since it's a new season and we need a new 'gimmick.'" But, it could (and should) dispel the fact that they put in hard bonus round puzzles on the fly if the player lands on a high amount on the bonus wheel. (Which, by the way, that's still a thing that naysayers think have been happening for years, and you can't get them to change their mind no matter what facts you show them that proves them wrong.)

They could easily have two puzzles ready in each category. I'm not saying they do, but they certainly could.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2020, 11:57:41 PM »
They could easily have two puzzles ready in each category. I'm not saying they do, but they certainly could.

Yeah, I don't think this is really THAT far-fetched as a "conspiracy theory" if you will. If they can legally get away with doing it, I'm sure they would.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
Then there's the conspiracy theory about setting up the Round 4 Wheel to the point where Pat can't land on the final spin since most of the time nowadays, and also having the "running out of time" bells ring accordingly. On average, Pat misses the $5000 by about seven spaces nowadays. Then there's other budget controls like having shorter puzzles, the Crossword category more often, and more car wedges in the Bonus Wheel if its valued less than the cash minimum. Something seems suspicious out there in Wheel land, something that would have been a complete no-no if Merv was still around.

While I'm not too thrilled about being able to choose the category for the Bonus Round, I still think that the Triple Tossup, introduced last year, is far worse. It's part of the reason why 10 of the first 11 episodes this season have started with a speedup for R4. Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind mid-commercial breaks in R2 or R3 like in the old days, while possibly having a speedup for R3. In addition, while I've talked before about how I'd change the Wheel layout and tended to focus more on bringing back retired elements like the Jackpot wedge or spaces like $1500 or $2000, I'd focus more on something that makes a certain other show more exciting at its halfway point: Doubling the current values of the Wheel starting with Round 4. Have the center of the Wheel display "DOUBLE", once over each contestant in a curved font to avoid viewer confusion. This would allow for contestants trailing from a moderate deficit to still have a shot at catching up, and if we had the $5000 space in 1983, $10,000 today in 2020 would certainly make sense in an overdue matter. Also, drop the tossup prior to interviews and return the Triple tossup to a single to allow for more time to play a supercharged Wheel. Finally, eliminate the Prize Puzzle; I'd rather just have those resorts sponsor a round/element instead. 

Of the retired elements however, I would bring back the Free Spin token, I'd have it where you can earn another one if someone wins one in a previous round (up to 3). A nice compromise between the old wedge and the token, and I'd still award money for the dollar amount that the token is hidden under. Even though its been off the Wheel for over a decade, its still an iconic fixture of the show itself, lasting over three decades and even appearing as an element on a pinball machine in the form of an extra ball.

Finally, as a possible spiritual successor to the Jackpot, I'd bring back a variant of the gold/red letter puzzle where in one round, if you solve the puzzle right after that specially colored letter shows, you win a $5000 bonus.

But now doubt that Harry's forte is Jeopardy! He pitched to lift the returning champions limit, yet when he took over Wheel, he eliminated them first for the Friday Finals, and then in 1998, got away with them altogether. That says a lot about his stance between the two shows.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:07:18 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/