Author Topic: Family Feud: Season 22 (and the show in general)  (Read 8952 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Family Feud: Season 22 (and the show in general)
« on: September 15, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
I felt like I had to start this topic instead of going off-topic elsewhere.   This is the week we're expecting to see the start of the 11th season of Family Feud "starting" Steve Harvey.  Maybe it started on September 14th, but not for me.

Here are a couple links discussing the restart

Typically the second Monday of September (if not the Monday before autumn) brings the return, or rather the start of a new season of first-run syndicated programs, including Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Family Feud.  I think Jeopardy & Wheel have started new seasons on the Tuesday after Labor Day in the past.

However, as mentioned elsewhere, Family Feud did not begin its 22nd season.  Unless it did in other parts of the country, maybe those episodes are being held back a week or two, if not indefinitely.  There could be a local argument that it didn’t start on 09/14 due to football, but I checked my listings and I did not see mention of the new season.  In fact, I’m getting 2019 episodes.

I wonder what’s going on; maybe is it just me.  I checked everywhere for an explanation, only to come up empty handed.

Apparently per the articles, the Feud will follow the guidelines based on where they’re taping, from LA to Atlanta.  No audience, maybe pumped in crowd noise/laughter, but I believe they have started taping but I wonder how it’ll play out.  Maybe Steve will stay at the podium instead of pace at the controlling families’ podium.  Fast Money will be even more interesting.

Of course I may be interested.  Definitely will be a change for sure.  I’ll be honest; the show is doing very well, but man, they haven’t changed much in a long time, especially the structure.  It could use some changes before Feud becomes officially stale (or not)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Family Feud: Season 22 (and the show in general)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »
I think Family Feud is starting on 10/5.  I saw a commercial for it last night and I thought they said 10/5.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »
I thought Feud was going to try the virtual audience? It's going to be interesting Steve works well with an audience.

Feud has been stale for years its the same old song and dance.

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
October 5th will be the start of the new season and Steve's 10th year as host.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 02:31:59 PM »
Thanks everyone.  BTW, it's Harvey's 11th year coming up.

I heard September 28th, but for proof, I think it was just Wikipedia.  So that would lack validity, but I think that's more misleading.  GSN was promoting new Harvey episodes on 09/28/2020 with a start time pushed back an hour.  I really took it as them starting to air Season 21 on GSN, but not the upcoming season.  Besides, people are still seeing reruns on the week of 09/28.

So, 10/05/2020 it is!

I agree that Steve works well with an audience.  Given his career, without one he's just average, or can just be average.  Some of the folks might take that as disrespect, but he'll be put to the test to see how well he really can do hosting the show without an audience
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
Not to sound like that guy, but I gave up on Feud a long time ago when it became the innuendo and genitalia show with Steve acting overly shocked every time a contestant gave that kind of answer. The first few times, yeah it was funny; but after a while, it got old quick. Still baffles me that it gets higher ratings than J! or Wheel.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
Not to sound like that guy, but I gave up on Feud a long time ago when it became the innuendo and genitalia show with Steve acting overly shocked every time a contestant gave that kind of answer. The first few times, yeah it was funny; but after a while, it got old quick. Still baffles me that it gets higher ratings than J! or Wheel.

A lot of markets air Feud for a double run, some even more than two. The total counts towards the ratings.

Even when he started hosting, Steve has always acted like he'd rather be somewhere else. It doesn't help that the questions are written to accommodate his shtick, leading to the same answers, the same reactions and the same motions every time. I happened to catch a recent episode where a camera was aimed at a cue card in Steve's direction that read "reveal remaining answers". There is no excuse why someone who's been hosting a game show for 11 years needs a reminder as simple as that.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
Mercifully, Family Feud Canada with Gerry Dee (which plays much more like how Family Feud USED to be like) returns on Canadian Thanksgiving Day, October 12th. I've said it before, but Gerry Dee reminds me a lot of Ray Combs, which is a very good thing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:30:32 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 11:58:22 PM »
Mercifully, Family Feud Canada with Gerry Dee (which plays much more like how Family Feud USED to be like) returns on Canadian Thanksgiving Day, October 12th. I've said it before, but Gerry Dee reminds me a lot of Ray Combs, which is a very good thing.

It gonna take on look of ours when it returns that you know of? COVID wise?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 04:33:08 AM »
It gonna take on look of ours when it returns that you know of? COVID wise?

Not sure, maybe they had some unaired episodes from the previous season? Anyways, the CBC announced it's premiere date so I'll be sure to keep an out for it.

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »

I've honestly never seen any of the Canadian Feud other than a few clips here and there. The host does give off a Combs vibe; I need to watch it to see how much he is like Combs was. I hate what Johnathan Gibson did to Combs. It was really unfair to him, even though Feud's ratings were tanking in the final years of that run. We'll never know for sure, but I feel that had a large part to play in his downward spiral that ended so tragically. I always had this feeling that Dawson was bit difficult to work with, especially after he left Match Game after the Star Wheel was introduced. Dawson was a great host, don't get me wrong, but had a very fragile ego, it seems. But even the great Richard could bring Feud back to life his last go around.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 05:52:16 PM »
I've honestly never seen any of the Canadian Feud other than a few clips here and there. The host does give off a Combs vibe; I need to watch it to see how much he is like Combs was. I hate what Johnathan Gibson did to Combs. It was really unfair to him, even though Feud's ratings were tanking in the final years of that run. We'll never know for sure, but I feel that had a large part to play in his downward spiral that ended so tragically. I always had this feeling that Dawson was bit difficult to work with, especially after he left Match Game after the Star Wheel was introduced. Dawson was a great host, don't get me wrong, but had a very fragile ego, it seems. But even the great Richard could bring Feud back to life his last go around.

This clip truly shows Gerry channeling Ray. There are a few full episodes on YouTube but you have to search really good for them.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
Personally, I don’t think Steve’s that bad. And the show getting higher ratings than J! and Wheel is because that’s how audiences are these days. Also, I just watched. Gerry is definitely someone Ray would have been proud of, God rest his soul.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:56:07 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 06:10:47 PM »
A lot of markets air Feud for a double run, some even more than two. The total counts towards the ratings.

In New York, Feud airs six times per weekday. Although the fifth and sixth are repeats of the first and second, which air opposite J! and Wheel on another station. Still, talk about overkill.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 06:35:50 PM »
But realistically people aren’t watching all six.