Author Topic: Family Feud: Season 22 (and the show in general)  (Read 8944 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Family Feud: Season 22 (and the show in general)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
But realistically people aren’t watching all six.

Especially if 2 are repeats from that same day.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
I'm definitely not watching all six.  I might watch six episodes of Family Feud in one day, but maybe one with Steve Harvey, and then the other 5 with Combs and Dawson

Like Trevor said upthread, I don’t have an issue with Steve either.  The show may have become stale, and I often criticize the Harvey era, probably a tad too much, from the host to the structure (and the staff to the cast/audience), but the fact is that the show turned around upon his arrival.  Really, Family Feud may have been better off staying in the past but the company thought it was a great idea to revive it again about 4 years following Dawson’s sign-off.  It really should’ve been cancelled, and probably would have been in a past era within the game-show world.  When he arrived 11 years later, interest built up overall.  Obviously people bolted but a ton more arrived.

That being said, the ratings may be great, but it’s not that impressive that it’s beating Jeopardy and WOF (given its double run). 

Steve’s act is definitely old.  He’s also very slow.  He is a very good comedian, and the questions help with his routine.  I think if it was toned down a little then that would be a start.  If there were more normal questions, I don’t think people would stop watching.  Some would, but his personality and his status would be enough to keep the show “strong”.  Moreover, it might actually bring in more people with 1-2 inappropriate questions and the rest “family-friendly”.

The thing I hate the most is how the show sabotages the game so that it’s impossible to win the game before the point values triple.  There must be a “staff rule” that there must be four questions (and that big triple point with 4 answers only).   I understand that people want to see a competitive game, but maybe add another question and then double the point values for Question 4. 

The cue card thing is definitely surprising.  There’s no need for that at this stage of his FF tenure.  Harvey’s the longest-tenured host (in terms of years & seasons; the episode count and their hours might take at least a little longer) and a two-time Emmy winner for the show.  Someone mentioned elsewhere about his management during the face-off.  For example, someone gets a correct response that’s not number one, and his or her opponent could gain control with a better response.   He doesn’t say 1 or 2 answers will beat that, or I need an answer in 3 seconds (face off is 1 second).  That leads to confusion and the player is buzzed.

It's fair for Steve to do it his way, but there are certain circumstances where he could emulate what's worked in the past.  He should be saying, "Two answers might beat it" whenever Number 3 is revealed in "Face Off" instead of standing there to do nothing.  Though it is the contestants’ responsibility to know the rules; this actually occurs in the Main part of the game.  Harvey does give players time, but they do get buzzed out for not responding in 3 seconds.  It's odd; he did use the 3-second line early in his tenure.

With all of the restrictions, we'll see how good of a host Steve can really be when the show returns, and how the staff manages everything.  I think they went back to Atlanta for their tapings, as LA has massive restrictions whereas Atlanta, I don't think, is that strict
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »
The thing I hate the most is how the show sabotages the game so that it’s impossible to win the game before the point values triple.  There must be a “staff rule” that there must be four questions (and that big triple point with 4 answers only).   I understand that people want to see a competitive game, but maybe add another question and then double the point values for Question 4. 

They likely can't cause of time (remember you have a 5th question if needed, but it's only 1 answer, which in itself can be anti-climatic because they edit out any questions that give more than 2 responses for it, so if 1 misses, you know the other will not). I've always hated this though going back to the Karn days when it started (some shows then actually DID have 3 round wins if you recall, and maybe O'Hurley had a handful too?), it's ostensibly a soft form of rigging I feel, punishing a family that sweeps the first 2 rounds by artificially lowering the value for the 3rd so they can't win yet. I imagine if Dawson was still alive, he'd HATE this given how he tended to protect his families, sticking up for them a lot to the point of causing tension with Howard Felsher. Even before he passed he mighta had some takes on it, woulda loved to have known.

The other thing I can't stand too, and this may even go all the way back to the Anderson days, since to my knowledge NO ONE has done this in the 21 years this revival of Feud has been on the air, is the sabotaging of Fast Money rounds so that even if a contestant gives all No. 1 answers or even 4 of 5 with a fairly high 5th, it's still not enough to reach 200 by themselves, forcing the 2nd player to have to still play to finish the job. Again, I see this as a sort of rigging if in a less serious way, punishing a good 1st player like that. It also takes away the opportunity for those rare moments you saw in both Dawson's 1st (I don't think anyone ever had a solo win in 94, but that could be wrong only seeing a handful of episodes/half hours from it) and Combs runs, when someone managed to do it.

It makes the segment a little more boring, without that possibility being there. It's not even like Steve couldn't stretch for time either, I'm sure he could. Maybe Karn and O'Hurley couldn't, but you can't tell me he couldn't, considering they cut a lot of main game schtick as it is.

It's great for them that they've managed to keep Feud going as long as it has both in general and with Steve, but...it's sorta like Wheel at this point to me, kinda tired and staid, a shell of what it once was IMO.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:49 PM »
Hopefully the producers come to their senses and end all those practices. Then again, that’s what we’ve all been hoping for years now.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
They're the #1 show in syndication, and Feud is cheap and easy to produce. Why would they change anything? They're already getting everything they want.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 03:07:18 PM »
The Face Off timer always gets me on the Celebrity show, half the time if the first answer given is number 2 or 3, the other celebrity doesn’t even get a fraction of a second to blurt out their answer before getting buzzed. I know the Celebrity shows are mostly for fun, but if I was on the show for real and they did that to me, I’d be pretty pissed.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 03:56:21 PM »
They likely can't cause of time (remember you have a 5th question if needed, but it's only 1 answer, which in itself can be anti-climatic because they edit out any questions that give more than 2 responses for it, so if 1 misses, you know the other will not).

Doesn't bother me.  Effectively, this is the same for the viewer as "If the person who buzzes in is wrong, their opponent wins by default", only without that rule's drawback of making contestants more hesitant to ring in. 

I've always hated this though going back to the Karn days when it started (some shows then actually DID have 3 round wins if you recall, and maybe O'Hurley had a handful too?)

Definitely happened at least once to O'Hurley.  They had to stretch out Fast Money to two segments, which was so awkward I can see why they wouldn't want to ever have that happen intentionally.

The other thing I can't stand too, and this may even go all the way back to the Anderson days, since to my knowledge NO ONE has done this in the 21 years this revival of Feud has been on the air, is the sabotaging of Fast Money rounds so that even if a contestant gives all No. 1 answers or even 4 of 5 with a fairly high 5th, it's still not enough to reach 200 by themselves, forcing the 2nd player to have to still play to finish the job.

I don't think that's intentional.  I think the intent is to make spread out the points in general to reduce the prize budget in general, and "the #1 answers don't add up to 200" is just a side effect of that.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
Doesn't bother me.  Effectively, this is the same for the viewer as "If the person who buzzes in is wrong, their opponent wins by default", only without that rule's drawback of making contestants more hesitant to ring in. 

I mean I guess it's sorta a gimme since typically there's only 2 good answers perhaps? But I do miss the days when they'd go the other family members for answers, if in longer rounds obviously.

Definitely happened at least once to O'Hurley.  They had to stretch out Fast Money to two segments, which was so awkward I can see why they wouldn't want to ever have that happen intentionally.

Yeah I can see that playing into why, happened of course that way with Karn's era as well. I've always wondered why they didn't change the break format to avoid that. Like go the way the older formats did (though Dawson's syndicated run followed the same early round pattern as now, with 2 questions before the first break), and separate out the first two rounds and then have none for the last 2 or if needed 3. It could be done couldn't it?

I don't think that's intentional.  I think the intent is to make spread out the points in general to reduce the prize budget in general, and "the #1 answers don't add up to 200" is just a side effect of that.

I hadn't thought of that theory...but I guess I could see that. I think there have been at least a handful of times in the Harvey era, where it seemed like someone could have gotten it on their own had they gotten all 5, but they didn't. Perhaps it's not as purposefully impossible as it seems, at least not all the time. Maybe if the budget is better, they allow more wiggle room and it just isn't seen so much?

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 02:07:36 AM »
IIRC, there was a time where one player in FM reached 200 points solo in the '94 run and yes, going back to their move to Tribune Studios, there have been times where FM had to be played in 2 segments. I guess they discontinued the latter's practice by the 10th season of this current version.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 03:15:36 AM »
It gonna take on look of ours when it returns that you know of? COVID wise?

Looking at this recent clip( ) the obvious difference is the socially distant buzz-in podiums. You can also tell that Gerry keeps his distance from the families.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 03:38:11 AM »
Looking at this recent clip( ) the obvious difference is the socially distant buzz-in podiums. You can also tell that Gerry keeps his distance from the families.

His energy level is WAY down too from Season 1, almost too much so, especially for a game deciding question.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »
Garry looks like he's bored

Family Fortunes Gino keeps his distance he stays near the podium

Fast Money has a strange setup

Offline deepmilk

• Outside in Line
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »
I happened to catch a recent episode where a camera was aimed at a cue card in Steve's direction that read "reveal remaining answers". There is no excuse why someone who's been hosting a game show for 11 years needs a reminder as simple as that.

I wouldn't consider that a knock against him though. It keeps the cue card holder employed.  ;)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 11:01:52 PM »
I wouldn't consider that a knock against him though. It keeps the cue card holder employed.  ;)

Maybe he gets so worked up over answers, that they need to remind him of that lol.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
Yes but what are the remaining answers?

"Reveal answer #7"
"Reveal answer #5"
"Reveal answer #4, issa good one so make a big deal out of it"
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!