Author Topic: Pricing Game Idea: Slam Dunk  (Read 493 times)

Offline mungojerry311

• In the Audience
  • TPIR Recapper
Pricing Game Idea: Slam Dunk
« on: October 10, 2021, 07:52:34 PM »
Here I come once again with a pricing game idea that may or may not be any good. This is a basketball themed game in the same vein as Hole In One (or Two) but doesn't require any effort on the contestant's part.

This game would be played for at most a car. The contestant is presented with a series of GPs, let's say five of them, placed on a table resembling a basketball court with a basket of some size at the far end. On top the table is a basketball player character a la Yodely Guy holding a basketball. For now let's call him MJ (after Michael Jordan). The contestant must try to order the GPs from lowest to highest price (like in Hole In One). The prices are then revealed. The more s/he got right the closer MJ moves toward the basket. MJ then "shoots" the ball. If the shot is made, the contestant wins the car or large prize. If the shot is missed, they win nothing. Obviously, the closer MJ is to the basket the higher the chance of the shot going in. The game is automatically won if the contestant gets all five in the right order, since in that case MJ moves to the closest position, thus getting a Slam Dunk.

I think the idea has legs, though it could be tweaked a bit. What do you fine people think?

Edit: Another thing, the shot strength would be randomized each playing so the only way to guarantee a win would be to get all five GPs in the correct order.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 07:56:49 PM by mungojerry311 »

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Pricing Game Idea: Slam Dunk
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 06:46:18 AM »
This is Hole in One except the contestant has zero control over the outcome.

If the contestant loses, you need to be able to explain why the contestant lost.  Not just “machine could have done good thing but it did bad thing instead”. “Trust me, we programmed MJ so you had an 80% chance of winning from that line, you just got unlucky” isn’t enough.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »
Sorry, but no thanks. This game is too similar to Hole in One...and we already have Hole in One. We know that there are many pricing games that are similar to each other. This one is just too obvious.

EDIT: I should also add that even in basketball, slam dunks are not automatic.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 10:52:58 AM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline mungojerry311

• In the Audience
  • TPIR Recapper
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't be coming up with PG ideas when I'm falling asleep, as was the case with the previous two I did. Anyway, I hear you all loud and clear: contestant control over the outcome is extremely important.

That said, here's a change to the initial idea. To give the contestant control they would be able to choose the shot strength. Obviously the farther MJ is away from the hoop the more strength you would need.

Yes, this is very much Hole In One, but this would be on a smaller scale. I imagine it being played on the turntable.