Poll

From the new shows, carryovers, and reboots, which decade had the best game shows?

1990s
9 (45%)
2000s
5 (25%)
2010s
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Of the 1990s, 2000s, or 2010s, which decade had the best game shows?  (Read 874 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
It's pretty well established that the greatest decade for game shows of all time is either the 1970s or 1980s, and they remain legendary being the primary focus of BUZZR's lineup to this day. However, the past few decades haven't quite been the same with the genre as the focus shifted away from networks (though primetime has picked up steam in the last two decades) and more towards syndication, cable, and even online. When voting, consider everything from quality, accessibility, overall contestants, hosts, sets, music/SFX, and extras like prize budget, online games, and merchandise.

So, is it either the '90s which started with all those short-lived syndicated shows and ended with the return to primetime with Millionaire and Greed, with a lot of lower budget cable shows along the way, or is it the 2000s with the Millionaire clones, the reality craze influence, the peak of GSN originals, futuristic sets/sound effects, or is it the 2010s with the numerous reboots as well as a continuation of some of the '00s trends, in addition to some long runners like TPIR and Feud having a new reputation with their new hosts? Please discuss below. 
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: Of the 1990s, 2000s, or 2010s, which decade had the best game shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 10:39:26 AM »
I havenít voted yet, and I might do so when possible later.  I was really to go with 2000s no doubt, but the 90s could actually be a slight favorite, especially adding the other criteria.  It is nice to see the return of several classic shows in their primetime format.  Thatís about it for 2010s.

For the 90s, it was really about Wheel and Jeopardy (like TPIR and FF, the long runners since the 80s and like TPIR and FF, shows that happened in the 70s).  Jeopardy continues to evolve and get better and better, but I think the 90s were when both Merv Griffin shows combined were a hit.  Same with the 80s, but they took a bigger step in the 90s.

TPIR & Feud are tough; Feud struggled in the 90s and wasnít there for much of it (as first-run).  TPIR was still very popular, but it was tough with the changes within the cast and the stuff that surrounded it.  The thing is a lot of stuff ended in 1989.  So the 90s started with not much, but it did give us the infamous Game Show Network.  Not first-run, but it was nice to see all the classics.  Prior to that USA was a big deal with the reruns. 

2000s featured WWTBAM and the return of Feud (both started in 1999 but by 2000 and 2001 it became a big part of the decade).  GSN started to lose its magic, but I think the originals that they came up with were awesome, probably the best period for that.  Other than that, not too much.  Instead of traditional gameshows, you had competitive reality at its peak with Survivor, The Amazing Race, American Idol, and The Apprentice.  All four where hits during the decade

Itís a toss-up between the 90s & 2000s, IMO.  As mentioned, nothingís beating the 70s and 80s
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/20
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • The youngest LFAT on these boards
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
Well, the 2000s brought us The Chamber, so it immediately wins.

Not counting reboots, since I don't really consider that something new, and not including romantic reality shows, all I think of are shows from last decade on the fringe of the million dollar boom (Minute to Win It, Million Dollar Second Quiz, Beat Shazam, The Wall), lighthearted, cheaper shows (25 Words or Less, Hollywood Game Night, practically 2/3 of all non-imported, original GSN shows since too many felt the freaking same), or kid-oriented shows you don't remember, but I loved growing up (several shows on the now-rebranded Hub network like Family Game Night, The Game of Life, Scrabble Showdown and maybe a couple Nickelodeon shows like Webheads, but bringing up Nickelodeon when the 90's are a choice is a fool's errand).

I understand the 2010s were more for classic revivals, and although that's not necessarily a bad thing at all, I appreciate formats that stand on their own instead of kind of relying on nostalgia. I guess if we had to count the reoccurring shows, Wheel peaked in the 90s, Jeopardy got more powerful in the early 00s with Ken Jennings and more or less kept that momentum to this day, and I guess TPiR and LMaD were at their most stable form in the 2010s of those three decades (although it might just be me with rose-tinted glasses who grew up with Bob's final days, compared to the 90s), and I know it fits in with not talking about classic revivals, but since TTTT keeps popping up every decade, the current version is much better than the 90s and 00s versions. I'll have to review what exactly came out in in the 90s or 00s, but I'll echo the statements that I don't think the 10s were the strongest in game shows).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:25:21 AM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, Septerber 16, 2020

HYO total winnings: $probably like $200k + Canadian dollars

Real life winnings: $300 + $800 in gift cards

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 12:04:46 PM »
It's perhaps only "established" by fans of the era. There are good--and clunkers--in all eras.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
The 90ís saw daytime Network which were already in their death throes finally come to an end. Daytime Wheel was nearing the end of its run as was Classic Concentration (and itís very short lived replacement Caesarís Challenge). Daytime Family Feud was also nearing itís end and dragged on a little longer in syndication, with people polarized on Ray Combs and mostly negative about Dawsonís return. After OJ Simpson killed daytime television, game shows mostly went away beyond the long runners, until Family Feud came back in 99.

The 2000ís were almost a renaissance for Network game shows, following WWTBAMís success seemingly every network started airing them, some like Greed on Fox being a lot better than others like 21. Cable networks got into the act too with GSN coming into itís own with several original shows of varying quality, and other shows like Win Ben Steinís Money on Comedy Central being well remembered.

By the 2010ís, ABC had long since run Millionaire into the ground because of too many airings, and reality competitions taking up most of the oxygen in the room, Game Shows mostly went to the back burner. You had some stuff like Deal or No Deal (it kind of a game show?) but other than Price is Right, Game Shows were mostly relegated to syndication, with some like Family Feud being very successful, and others like Millionaire quickly running out of steam. Networks got back into the game towards the end of the decade though with Game Shows coming back as mostly summer filler programming.

Itís hard to argue that the 2000ís werenít the best recent decade for game shows. You had some all time greats like Millionaire, Greed, Ben Steinís Money, Weakest Link, and several strong syndicated and cable shows like Whammy, Lingo, Beat the Geeks, and Family Feud.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 11:32:24 PM »
I voted for the 2000s. Millionaire was at its peak and then remained solid in syndication with Meredith Viera, Greed, Weakest Link, and Twenty One to compete with Millionaire, Jeopardy started a new era with the sky's the limit returning champ rule and Ken Jennings' amazing run, Price still solid and had the primetime specials to bring it additional viewers and spotlight, and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, the NBC 1 vs 100, Lingo were really good with other GSN originals that were good as well. The negative for the 2000s is the several primetime shows that just didn't work-- Winning Lines, Set for Life, Identity, Show Me the Money, etc, along with the shaky first few Drew Carey Price is Right seasons. Deal or no Deal was hit or miss for game show fans. Still, the primetime boom starting with Millionaire brought the genre back and there were more than enough really good shows to outweigh the bad ones.

1990s had Price gain some new blood with younger, college aged contestants whether that was thanks to Happy Gilmore or not, and Wheel and Jeopardy still going strong. Combs Feud ended and Dawson returned for the final season and then we had Louie Anderson Feud. We had some good kitchy game shows in cable and syndication including Supermarket Sweep and Shop Til You Drop, and one of my personal favorites American Gladiators (not 100% game show I know). Otherwise it was really a decline for game shows after they were so big in the 80s, and there were several that didn't last long and aren't that fondly remembered.

2010s saw new life for Price since season 40 and Jeopardy still going strong. Say what you will about Steve Harvey Feud, but the show is bigger than ever perhaps. Game shows also became a go to for summer programming and in some cases mid-season replacement or fill in, and Let's Make a Deal became the first new daytime network game show in a while. Wheel of Fortune is flat though, Millionaire died a slow painful death in syndication, and we've had more take it or leave it shows like The Wall, Hollywood Game Night, Beat Shazam, etc.

Offline pannoni1

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 02:47:36 PM »
After giving some thought, I'll still go with the 1990s. Sure, the payoffs may have been lower than in the ensuing decades, but I still find that this provided the best variety and creativeness compared to later decades. I'll start with the long runners:

TPIR was still at the top of its game for most of the decade, even if we lost Dian and Holly, and although Bob was increasingly settling down into a routine, he still had enough energy left to keep the show fun for the most part, and there was a nice variety of prizes as well, from cars to furniture to trailers to electronics to trips to marine vehicles. The 2000s was the worst overall though with Bob's tiring final years along with the awkwardness of Drew's first few years. The 2010s did freshen it up somewhat, but you'll notice that there's lots of things that the '90s still provided that the past decade didn't, from more new games to more airtime/fewer commercials. The Doug Davidson version brought things down a tiny bit, but it was just a side attraction that didn't negatively impact the daytime show, and it surely made sense when Bob described his version as "The REAL Price Is Right".

Family Feud started the '90s great with Ray Combs, then got a bit shaky with the Bullseye format and then Dawson's return, and then a hiatus before Louie brought back Feud at decade's close that many fans consider the worst version. The 2000s was a mixed bag, with Richard Karn and O'Hurley containing mixed reviews, but they aren't fondly remembered as Combs/Dawson, and of course Anderson dragged the show down a bit. While Steve Harvey has given the show a new edge (I do prefer '10s Feud to '00s Feud), I still miss the usage of classic questions outside of Celebrity episodes.

Jeopardy! was fine throughout the '90s, but it honestly wasn't as exciting as the '00s and '10s due to the five-day Champions limit and the n the Sushi Bar set used in the later part of the decade didn't feel very Jeopardy! at all.

Wheel of Fortune arguably had its best decade in the '90s (the '80s comes close though), with Merv Griffin still in control, contestants appearing on multiple shows for the most part, more variety in puzzle writing, prizes, and until late 1996, custom Wheel layouts for every round. No gimmicks like what got added in the '00s as well as the "coasting mode" that has played the show in the '10s, even if there are still some good episodes every now and then.

That said, I was the perfect age to enjoy all of the kids' shows through the decade, especially on Nickelodeon.  I just watched a classic episode of Figure It Out today and played a little differently by not peeking at the first solution and secret slime action, and Summer Sanders is a nice host. I just didn't like it when the show went to "Wild Style" in its final season with its weird set. You of course also had Legends of the Hidden Temple, Nick Arcade, Get The Picture, Wild & Crazy Kids, What Would You Do?, Family Double Dare, and of course GUTS. Speaking of which, the original American Gladiators spanned the early-mid '90s and I still get a kick out of the athletes and gladiators to this day. Other cable channels of course provided not just reruns of past shows, but the best version of Supermarket Sweep, Shop 'Til You Drop, Trivial Pursuit, Debt, Masters of the Maze, along with some klunkers like Free 4 All and those interactive FAM games, but it still seemed neat to watch. I actually credit the launch of Game Show Network for helping to save the recognition of past game shows as well. A channel like BUZZR could have happened later thanks to trading, but GSN really helped to create new recognition for classics, and the first few originals like Trivia Track, Super Decades, and a guilty pleasure, Inquizition, helped build the channel for what it later became in terms of being the hot spot for those cable games that helped carry the genre through the '90s.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
1970s ..sorry, not sorry
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
1970s ..sorry, not sorry

Don't be. I totally agree with you.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQ_RRwCfhY )

Offline Archviler

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »
The 70s were amazing too, no argument from me.

Of the choices available, I'd go with the 90s. I think Pannoni1 nailed it. It also has Win Ben Stein's Money, which was in the late 1990s as well as the 2000s. I have some incredible memories of the late 90s when I was home and able to watch shows all morning and early afternoon.

Offline geniusinmath

• In Contestant's Row
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »
I say the 90s because that is the decade I watch Wheel of Fortune, TPIR, among other game shows.

Offline ooboh

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 06:02:10 PM »
Iím definitely biased because Iím only 20, but Iím gonna have to say the 2000s. I look fondly at GSNís shows like Friend or Foe?, Whammy!, and Russian Roulette, as well as primetime shows such as Deal or No Deal, 1 vs. 100, and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? While I canít deny the 1990s had its hits, I also think the 2010s saw a much-needed resurgence of primetime game shows.

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
I voted for the 2000s. Millionaire was at its peak and then remained solid in syndication with Meredith Viera, Greed, Weakest Link, and Twenty One to compete with Millionaire, Jeopardy started a new era with the sky's the limit returning champ rule and Ken Jennings' amazing run, Price still solid and had the primetime specials to bring it additional viewers and spotlight, and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, the NBC 1 vs 100, Lingo were really good with other GSN originals that were good as well. The negative for the 2000s is the several primetime shows that just didn't work-- Winning Lines, Set for Life, Identity, Show Me the Money, etc, along with the shaky first few Drew Carey Price is Right seasons. Deal or no Deal was hit or miss for game show fans. Still, the primetime boom starting with Millionaire brought the genre back and there were more than enough really good shows to outweigh the bad ones.

1990s had Price gain some new blood with younger, college aged contestants whether that was thanks to Happy Gilmore or not, and Wheel and Jeopardy still going strong. Combs Feud ended and Dawson returned for the final season and then we had Louie Anderson Feud. We had some good kitchy game shows in cable and syndication including Supermarket Sweep and Shop Til You Drop, and one of my personal favorites American Gladiators (not 100% game show I know). Otherwise it was really a decline for game shows after they were so big in the 80s, and there were several that didn't last long and aren't that fondly remembered.

2010s saw new life for Price since season 40 and Jeopardy still going strong. Say what you will about Steve Harvey Feud, but the show is bigger than ever perhaps. Game shows also became a go to for summer programming and in some cases mid-season replacement or fill in, and Let's Make a Deal became the first new daytime network game show in a while. Wheel of Fortune is flat though, Millionaire died a slow painful death in syndication, and we've had more take it or leave it shows like The Wall, Hollywood Game Night, Beat Shazam, etc.

I was going to say the same thing. Most of the game shows i watched in the 90s came from syndication. The cream of the crop was Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and American Gladiators (not 100% game show I know). AG brought the once a week show back into the limelight as far as game shows were concerned. Following the weekly tournament was easy to this then 5 year old child. :biggrin: