Author Topic: What games would you like to see return?  (Read 5038 times)

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
What games would you like to see return?
« on: September 30, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »
Hello

I did a search and I could not find anything on this..  Are there any pricing games that have been retired you would like to see return ?  I know some took long to play and some were retired because Drew did not know how to explain the rules.

Here are my:

1) Super Ball- Yes  I know it took to long to play.

2) Buy Or Sell

3) Give Or Keep

4) Penny Ante..

5) The Phone Home Game

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
Re: What games would you like to see return?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »
6) Make your Mark

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »
Hurdles.
The core pricing concept hasn’t really ever been reused, in that way at least, plus it’d probably fit in well with the show since there’s a wider array of motorized-prop setpieces nowadays than back during its’ time (Rat Race, Gridlock!, Half Off, Cliff Hangers, Vend-o-Price, maybe more)

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:55:16 PM »
I would love to see Hurdles, Bump, Finish Line, It’s Optional, & Trader Bob return

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 12:44:36 AM »
I did a search and I could not find anything on this..  Are there any pricing games that have been retired you would like to see return ?  I know some took long to play and some were retired because Drew did not know how to explain the rules.

Pricing games breaking down (on several occasions) are a third common reason why games were retired.

There has been one game within the past half-century that has returned, so I'd say never-say-never.  However, I'm never betting on a pricing game's return.  Typically, as mentioned, some games have their reasons that led to their retirement.  Or not, but it's fair enough.  Some things are best left in the past.

I believe there was a discussion based on this not too long ago, but apart of "TPIR specials we'd want to see" in the future.  I don't remember off of the top of my head whether I picked any pricing game, but Hit Me would be my pick to return.  Probably the easiest pricing game (in terms of winning vs losing) despite the fact that it was confusing to several people (a fourth reason for why a game might not last).

I thought of the original Bullseye, and I thought of putting that here as a joke.  That's the opposite of games I want to see return.  The two player version would be neat to see, but just one of things that's better left in the past to maybe appreciate and adore as a part of history in place of present time
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 03:47:28 AM »
There has been one game within the past half-century that has returned, so I'd say never-say-never.  However, I'm never betting on a pricing game's return.  Typically, as mentioned, some games have their reasons that led to their retirement.  Or not, but it's fair enough.  Some things are best left in the past.

Depending which one you mean, couldn't it be argued there's been two? Time is Money is one that returned, albeit with a vastly different format from its' predecessor, and then The Bargain Game aka Barker's Bargain Bar would be the other.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 04:12:11 AM »
My preferred games to return were in the previous thread that discussed this.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 04:23:19 PM »
This is a quote from the other thread, which I didn't want to reopen as it is months old and we would just end up with two active threads on the same topic:
What I would do for Hit Me is make it a cash game, $21,000 top prize game with the original rules and a super prize of $32,000 if the player gets the A-10 blackjack. Since Drew is a Vegas and Blackjack guy, I think he would handle the game well.
Just about anyone who knows what they are doing can get the Ace & 10. If there's only one item that ends in 0, there's your 10. It's not that hard to determine that a price is not a multiple of 2, 4, 6, 8 (if it's an odd number), 5 (if it doesn' end in 0 or 5), 3, or 9 (if the digits don't add up to a multiple of 3); that leaves 1, 7, and 10, and if it doesn't end in 0, it should be easy to determine if it's the price of 1 of that item or 7.

Then again, "it's not that hard" to end all prices in zero in Ten Chances, either...

Here's an idea to change it up; show two prices for each item, the way Secret X and Pathfinder do, and if the item is chosen, use the ones digit of the actual price (0 would be 10). For example, an item might have prices of $20 or $32; if it is chosen and the actual price is $20, it is a 10, but if it is 32, it is a 2. Also, you don't play against the dealer; you have to get 21, or you lose.

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 11:32:31 PM »
I went and read the thread that Brosa0 linked, and I liked a lot of the ideas.  Reading about Penny Ante got me thinking that
when it was played, the pennies were hardly ever shown on camera.   If they were to bring it back, I would build a prop similar to the original one, but make it so that somehow the contestant would insert the pennies into slots containing the prices of the products.  Doing this would trigger the lights going up to the prices and the reveal.  Wrong answers would see the pennies drop into the prop.  Like someone else in that thread said, the game wasn't much to write home about, the presentation is what made it unique.

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 10:08:37 AM »
I really like that Hit Me idea. 

I'm all for Buy or Sell returning.  Add Em Up would be good.  Super Ball even though it's a long game.  Bump is a good quick game.  Credit Card I like, maybe if you win you get the credit limit as a cash bonus. 

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 10:09:19 AM »
Penny Ante definitely should come back.  I forgot that one. 

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 04:38:00 PM »
Hit Me: it's basic multiplication and addition, what's so hard?

Penny Ante: An all time classic, that unfortunate demise should be corrected.

Superball!: It took long, sure, but so do other games. (I do actually see why this one got the axe; same amount of time to play but for a much less valuable prize. This one is probably here only because it's more of a personal favorite than others.)

Here's a rare nomination: Telephone Game. Alright, so the snazzy 70s set and rotary phone wouldn't fit in 2020. But what about a LCD smartphone screen? Have a button for "Contacts" where the car prices would be, a keypad screen to enter it, and voila! Can even use a futuristic theme like the original set did.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »
Hit Me: it's basic multiplication and addition, what's so hard?

You just answered your own question.

I love Hit Me, but the game went all of Season 28 without anyone getting a blackjack.  People are not good at math.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Vgmastr

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »
Would anyone else like to see Make Your Mark return as a LMAD game?  If you add a bailout option, it fits perfect.  Since they don't do pricing games, you'd have to change it to something like matching three movies to the years they came out and play it for a bigger prize like a trip.  Once it gets down to the last marker the contestant can either leave the marker alone and go for the prize and cash, but if wrong, lose everything.  They can trade the cash in and the swap the marker if they think they're wrong or just take the cash and leave.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »
Would anyone else like to see Make Your Mark return as a LMAD game?  If you add a bailout option, it fits perfect.

The puzzle that inspired Make Your Mark is named after Monty Hall.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."