Author Topic: What games would you like to see return?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: What games would you like to see return?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 07:12:22 PM »
Super Saver got a raw deal. It's fairly simple and quick.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 09:47:52 PM »
Hit Me: it's basic multiplication and addition, what's so hard?

Try explaining Hit Me to somebody who doesn't know how to play blackjack and you will see their eyes glaze over.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 11:04:11 PM »
I remember being rather surprised at Super Saver's demise.  I miss it, but I totally understood why its retirement was for the best.  IMO, it would've have been fair to change the rules 7 years into the game to make it more difficult.  I think it definitely would've been retired for sure 13 years later if it weren't for so many incidents with the game not related to the game malfunctioning
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 12:18:41 AM »
Try explaining Hit Me to somebody who doesn't know how to play blackjack and you will see their eyes glaze over.

Seconded--as a kid I never was able to figure out how the game worked. There's so many terms used in the game's explanation that are totally alien for somebody who doesn't understand blackjack. Throw in the multiplication aspect on top of that and it's no wonder people got confused.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline bonkers77

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 02:24:30 AM »
Super Ball & Poker Game.

Offline ThatDonGuy

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
Depending which one you mean, couldn't it be argued there's been two? Time is Money is one that returned, albeit with a vastly different format from its' predecessor, and then The Bargain Game aka Barker's Bargain Bar would be the other.

Three, if you count Check Game.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
I am a bit surprised Poker Game didn't get an attempt as a GP game with a bonus prize.

My games would be Give or Keep and Penny Ante.  I love Hit Me, but it's just not going to work anymore.
Any closer and Bob gives it away.
(except this was a Drew MDS)

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 03:53:37 PM »
I am a bit surprised Poker Game didn't get an attempt as a GP game with a bonus prize.

I don't think that would have helped very much. The cheapness was a problem, but the bigger issue was the gameplay had almost nothing to do with pricing.

"Try to pick a product with nines in the price" is still a vague and unhelpful goal to aim for, whether you're playing with an $899 video camera or an $8.99 vitamin supplement.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline greg

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
I don't think that would have helped very much. The cheapness was a problem, but the bigger issue was the gameplay had almost nothing to do with pricing.

"Try to pick a product with nines in the price" is still a vague and unhelpful goal to aim for, whether you're playing with an $899 video camera or an $8.99 vitamin supplement.
The highest priced products could have been the ones with the 9’s if they had planned it that way....”pick the 2 highest priced products to get 9’s”

That would work I think

Offline rn

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 05:57:58 PM »

Here's a rare nomination: Telephone Game. Alright, so the snazzy 70s set and rotary phone wouldn't fit in 2020. But what about a LCD smartphone screen? Have a button for "Contacts" where the car prices would be, a keypad screen to enter it, and voila! Can even use a futuristic theme like the original set did.

Another update would be the 5 digit prices would all have to begin with the same number, and the money left after the grocery portion of the game would have to be more than $0.10!  Here in Canada, it would have to be $0.50 to even make a local call on the few remaining payphones!

Also if that game is not sponsored then a generic smartphone only for the game use would be needed!

I would like to see the return of Buy or Sell, where the maximum amount of $$$ the contestant keeps would increase to $5,000.
I would also like to see the return of Give or Keep as well, since it was a small prize game, but have the board actually be on the turntable itself and not on the stationery side, so the game itself would not be revealed too early!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »
Given the complexity of Poker Game and Hit Me, I'm surprised that both games lasted over a quarter of a century.

Given the modernization of TPIR these days, I think it'll be easy to revive Give or Keep, even if it's not on the Turntable.  I thought that Buy or Sell was the perfect replacement of Give or Keep back in the day.  Love both, but given the end of the latter, I don't know if the former will return.  I wouldn't bet for or against it, but I don't think it would happen unless we saw more of the current games get the boot out of the rotation
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck